Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 17, 2018   #256
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Looks great!

Update on the Metalica - I have one plant in a Root Pouch and it has the most perfect big tomato. I think it is finally lightening up so should start ripening in the next week.
Our weather is now warm in days and cool at night and I noticed a bunch of blossoms with 2 more setting fruit. Weather is now a tomato dream.

The other plant was in an Earthbox and didn't get enough sun; roommate is a Momotaro that is doing great with dozens of large tomatoes. I tried transplanting the Metalica to no avail.

So I will be getting fruit from just the one; will take a picture and post in the Metalica thread when it is ready. Thank you.
Fantastic.! Metallica is so gorgeous. So glad you grew it.
I picked one nice beauty early when the silver/gold metallic was formed and blushing
nervous about some critter bites...second flush were also great when the weather
got out of the high temps in August. Really nice shelf life. Curious if your stems are
as thick as mine. The stem end was so thick I needed pruning Felco's to cut it off
the plant.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2018   #257
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Testing many more varieties...mung and fava bean...pic left
5 pea varieties....
Tasting tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mung bean.jpg (308.4 KB, 116 views)
Old February 10, 2019   #258
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Bumping.

Anyone still growing MGs?

Can anyone tell me if you can use spouting seeds for microgreens? They seem to be cheaper in some instances (with the same vendor).

Microgreens - I've bought some from Johnny's before and their spicy salad mix is actually spicy unlike TrueLeaf's. Any recommendations now that they have free shipping for $50? Is their SunFlower seeds better than TrueLeaf's?

During the year I found the best mix to grow them. It was called Bioterra Plus by Canna. It wasn't impressive looking at all; but it was the best especially for the small seeds. I still was using my ProMix/Coir combo for the Sunflower seeds just to make the bag last longer. Found it locally at the hydro store; went back to get more to stock up and they didn't have it.

So I bought a bag of mix specifically for MGs. It was nothing like BioTerra Plus; I will get the name if anyone is interested. My tray did come out great; but doubtful I will buy again.

----
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #259
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I just started another batch of micro greens. I have ordered from both Johnny's and True Leaf and the seeds, including sunflower, are both are fresh and germinate within a day after soaking. I use straight coir for the medium which is much cheaper for me up here. The micro greens are not long in the coir so I'm not worried about the lack of nutrients.
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019   #260
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing more than ever and getting way ahead of myself so I've needed to harvest,
bag, and fridge... they last so long ! even though I'd rather cut fresh.

I would take advantage of Johnny's just for the quality alone. And remember that they list
micros, shoots, and sprouts separately. The bulk of my salad is 'fast growers'.
Black oil, a pea blend, (I have 5 varieties), a radish blend (4), a cabbage, then 5or6 custom blends.

I use both Johnny's and TrueLeaf to get what I need. Both are good fresh seed. Mumms
is also good and great prices for their 2.5 lb quantity but 1 pound at a time keeps me
well stocked. One last order and i'm stocked for the year+...I made so many small kits for
gifts around the holidays for friends, family and co-workers I really went through my peas
and radish.

I start about 6-8 trays every 5-7 days. My three favorites, then cycle through all the others
to give variety.

I use maxi crop powdered seaweed for food if I grow a tray past 10 days. 1/2 a tsp in a half gallon
so one 10oz bag should last a few years. (I think Johnny's has it?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macro favorites.jpg (300.5 KB, 84 views)
Old February 10, 2019   #261
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Left to right...radish blend, bulk is daikon as its cheaper, china rose, red Rambo, and just got triton from johnny. ...5 pea blend, then red mammoth cabbage. Those three were in my gift kits
being fail-proof and super fast growers.

Yes you can use sprouting greens but some grow so slow. Johnny's has a list...

Last edited by oakley; February 10, 2019 at 12:17 PM.
Old February 10, 2019   #262
oakley
Tomatovillian™

here it is...
Attached Images
File Type: png johnny's fast growing.png (49.7 KB, 83 views)
Old February 11, 2019   #263
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have a few microgreens again - and it looks like we'll always start the indoor greens season with micros, as long as I have seed surplus from what I saved.
This time it's radish, arugula and kale. The radish seed I saved just for this purpose because my mom liked those micros the best - but seed yield wasn't great just enough for one tray.

Oakley, thanks for mentioning the ferts. My delivery to mom got delayed because she had dental surgery and didn't want to deal with them. I notice that once the cots are fully out (about 8-10 days) they are really slow to push out the first leaf at the high density. Probably too late to give ferts now as I think she's close to ready for them. But will keep it in mind for next.
I used a deeper tray and gave them a full inch of compost this time, but didn't really affect that slowing of growth at about 10 days.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019   #264
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

I want to thank you all for helping me take the plunge into microgreens. I've read this thread through and through and with all the info, reassurance and fantastic pics provided I sowed my first batch yesterday.
Well, I came home from work this afternoon and was so excited to see little sprouts already! I only sowed sunflower and speckled pea, but I can't believe the growth already. So excited!
MI Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019   #265
PlainJane

Excellent!
Old February 12, 2019   #266
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I did grow microgreens last winter / spring, many brassicas and pea shoots & sunflower sprouts.
I will have to sow some again, but don't have any good soil at my disposal right now.
A papertowel will do, but not as great as real good probiotic soil...
(At least, in the form of microgreens, I can eat all the brassicas I want, without the butterfly larvae getting any - haha!)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019   #267
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

It's just so nice to see something growing here in my (current) winter wonderland. And knowing I should have healthy, organic greens to eat soon is a double blessing!
Old February 12, 2019   #268
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Ordered 10x10 trays this morning from Greenhouse Megastore. Can't wait to start the amaranth and red cabbage next.
Old February 12, 2019   #269
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Farmer View Post
Ordered 10x10 trays this morning from Greenhouse Megastore. Can't wait to start the amaranth and red cabbage next.
Oh good. They have 1010 trays. I use them for everything now. Much easier to maneuver under lights. I just
cut down my 1020 cell inserts in half so everything fits. 9 four inch pots fit easily. Tomatoes etc.

Cabbage is great. A fast grower. Amaranth I put in the advanced category. Expensive seed and without the
proper density it tends to get dampening off. A much different growing experience than the fast growers.

Pic today of my slow growers at 4 weeks. A heap of cilantro, chard, celery, off camera,... parsley, basil, etc.
Takes up grow shelf real estate but a good trial run. I just needed to experience them growing,
Cilantro is super cheap here in the markets. So I grow fast grower macros that are silly expensive at the market.
And mine are fresh cut!

The chard is worth it and just started a trial run of beet. maybe I'll just start those once a week for an
endless supply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg macro herbs.jpg (358.2 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by oakley; February 12, 2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old February 12, 2019   #270
MI Farmer
Tomatovillian™

Ooh, maybe I'll hold off on the amaranth until I get several grows under my belt. You're right, Oakley - the seed was expensive, and I sure don't want to waste it.

I chose amaranth and the red cabbage because they're supposed to be very good for your eyes (nutritionally). I'm getting a bit older and starting to have trouble.

Your pics and advice throughout this post have been such a help to me - thanks!
Sue