Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 3, 2016   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default How long are cut up tomatoes okay in the fridge?

I love the product of home canned salsa. However, its such a chore - the heat of the stove combined with the oppressive humid weather as that's when all the tomatoes come in...

I'm thinking of parsing it out to be a multi-day event... So if I get rid of the skin (boiling water - UGH) and cut them up to drain in the fridge, how long can I do this ahead of time do you think?
Old August 3, 2016   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

When I'm in the seed saving processes, I am also in the tomato juice processes. After setting up a whole bunch of jars of fermenting seeds, I take the tomato carcass and chunk it up into my 6 quart bowls. I have allowed myself room in the drink fridge for 4 of these bowls. Today, I started the juice process from my quota of 4 bowls, and the first of these was placed in the fridge two days ago. The chunks get tested by my nose and they smelled wonderfully fresh.

So, I can recommend two days or about 48 hours if the fridge is working great and the temp is kept in the upper 30's.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2016   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not saying you are unsanitary but it has a lot to do with sanitation.
For things like this what we would consider sanitary the bacteria and mold would have a wild party.
Wash the container with hot soap and water right before you use it and the same thing with any knife you would use.
The next is to get rid of the oxygen.
This also applies for any meat products.

I kept one half of a cut watermelon in the refrigerator for a month like this with no effect what so ever it was as fresh as a daisy when I decided to eat it.
I have done the same thing with tomatoes too.
Some of this stuff was experiments.

One slice was cut with a clean knife that wasn't prewashed and it started to spoil.
Another was cut with a just cleaned knife and it kept for a very long time.
Both were completely sealed in cling wrap.
A knife will collect spores and so on just sitting in the holder.

Here is another one that may sound odd.
I bought some big pork butts made by SmithField they were fresh and vacuum sealed.
I forgot to put them in the freezer and went to work so the were in the refrigerator.
Came back 17 days later and checked them in a few days and they were still fresh as can be.
I have seen pork spoil in 3 days big time with meat cut at the local market that was wrapped.
This tells me the cutting equipment at the store is contaminated.
Whit each cut it is painting the surface of the meat with lord only knows what.
My smoked meat refrigerator has had my cured meat in it for months on end in a plastic bowl uncovered drying and it was just fine.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Everything is happening in one day... its canning day today and its hot... What do people do with all the drained "juice?" Seems like a waste to throw out but I am not sure I can just drink it down either...
Old August 6, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

What drained juice?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

That juice contains a boatload of flavor. That's why I choose to reduce my juice to evaporate off a lot of the water. But, I want the flavor it contains. So I choose to put in all in a pot on the stove and let it "SLOW ROLL" just enough to keep the steam coming off. I refuse to throw away or sacrifice that liquid flavor.

It's your call, but if you don't reduce it down, then you will have to either throw it away or drink it. It's really quite good regardless of what you decide. You can drain it off and add it to beer to make a "Redeye" - quite refreshing.

Just remember that a lot of the flavor is in that clear-ish liquid.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 6, 2016   #7
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Because I'm such a wuss about the heat, I used Annie's recipe that calls for draining the tomatoes after they are cut.. Yes, I wish I could take letting the heat reduce the liquid but I ... I am a wuss!

http://www.tomatoville.com/showpost....52&postcount=2
Old August 6, 2016   #8
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Well, I guess that's just your loss. Remember, take your time or you might miss something. There's no right or wrong in making juice or salsa or whatever. As long as you like the end product, then you've done everything right.

Take care.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 6, 2016   #9
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

If you're just making salsa, consider freezing them. Thawed toms should be all mushy, but for salsa that shouldn't be an issue.

[I haven't tried it, so take my advice with a grain of salt.]

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2016   #10
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Last time I tried reducing the clear-ish liquid when canning, the end result was horrifically bitter and I dumped it down the drain. This was from 100% paste varieties, so I don't know if that was the reason, but I from then on I do like luigiwu and drain it off before cooking down the pulp.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote