Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 15, 2010   #16
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

A couple years ago I purchased Socrates from TGS along with a few other items - nothing germinated. They must be an ok company because others don't have trouble it seems, but I've been very reluctant to buy from them again. In fact, I believe I purchased seed from them 2 different years with poor results. Either something is happening on their end or through the mail system because I haven't had trouble with any other seeds, except from Seeds Trust a few years ago when their seeds did not come true to the descriptions. Too bad, because TGS has alot of good varieties and others speak highly of them.

I was disappointed in not getting Socrates to germinate that year. I have seeds of that so will try a mass planting. Perhaps a couple will germinate.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2010   #17
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Some bells that did very well for me are Big Bertha, Golden Summer,Ace,Red Beauty and Orange Summer. Also Italian Sweet (not bell) does good and they are great in pasta sauce. I forget what ones I grew in Cali but one was a white bell.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2010   #18
farmall
Tomatovillian™

We have good luck with Sweet Chocolate there not a large bell pepper but they are early very productive and have great flavor, there more like a poblano. King of the North also does well for us. Another would be Acongua Giant a very large sweet frying pepper they also produce a boat load.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Keep trying, the Socrates seeds I got from TGS this year and last germinated great. As a matter of fact I was surprised at the germination rate being so high. My Socrates seedlings have been up for about two weeks now and I plan on starting some more for a little latter planting and then will start more in mid summer for fall. They produce so good when the weather cools off a bit even the older plants seem to get a new burst of peppers when it starts to cool down a bit. My older plants last year made it through the first 3 nights with below freezing temps and continued to pump out peppers until a hard freeze hit and finally killed most of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaJB View Post
A couple years ago I purchased Socrates from TGS along with a few other items - nothing germinated. They must be an ok company because others don't have trouble it seems, but I've been very reluctant to buy from them again. In fact, I believe I purchased seed from them 2 different years with poor results. Either something is happening on their end or through the mail system because I haven't had trouble with any other seeds, except from Seeds Trust a few years ago when their seeds did not come true to the descriptions. Too bad, because TGS has alot of good varieties and others speak highly of them.

I was disappointed in not getting Socrates to germinate that year. I have seeds of that so will try a mass planting. Perhaps a couple will germinate.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #20
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

This is what I grow and you will notice, only a few bells. The non-bells just out produce any bell I have ever grown. And unless you are growing them just to stuff, they will probably all get diced up anyway...I stuff almost all the long ones with cream cheese, dip in batter and freeze for chili relleno or jalapenos for poppers. I also dice them all up, freeze on a cookie sheet and put handfuls of mixed colors into vacuum bags. I pickle a LOT of peppers but I DO NOT heat process my peppers or they are never crisp. I use a picking solution with no water and store them in my pantry and/or in my refrigerator. Here is my list (And I am saying "I" but it is actually my Husband who grows the peppers.)

Aconcagua
Ampuis
Carbaci
Cappia
Cascabella
Cayenne Long Purple Sweet
Cherry
Chinese Giant
Chitro
Chocolate Beauty
College
Corno di Toro Rosso
Corno di Toro Giallo
Coso Arrugada de Viejo
Cyklon
Diablo Sweet
Early Green Bell
Friarello Napoletano
Giant Marconi
Goccia d’ Oro
Goliath Griller
Goliath Mettro
Jimmy Nardello
Marconi Red
Marconi Gold
Numex Sunrise
Numex Twilight
Orange Giant
Ozark Giant
Paprika
Pepperoncini Golden Greek
Pepperonicini Italian
Purple Giant Bell
Quadrato Giallo D’ Asti
Quadrato Rosso D’Asti
Ramiro d Espana
Red Lamuyo
Sigaretta di Bergamo
Spanish Spice
Stavros
Super Heavyweight
Titanico Viero Violetto (from Mexico and I am exited about this large mauve pepper.)
Tequila Sunrise
Tollies Sweet

Last edited by brokenbar; February 17, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #21
kath
Tomatovillian™

I am looking for an early to ripen, dependably productive sweet pepper, too. I only eat them fresh, completely ripe, like apples, or in salads or raw recipes. The sweeter, the better. The problem is that the most reliable ones for me so far have all been hybrids such as Gypsy, Lipstick, and Carmen. Any suggestions for open-pollinated non-bells that would fit the bill?
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #22
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
I am looking for an early to ripen, dependably productive sweet pepper, too. I only eat them fresh, completely ripe, like apples, or in salads or raw recipes. The sweeter, the better. The problem is that the most reliable ones for me so far have all been hybrids such as Gypsy, Lipstick, and Carmen. Any suggestions for open-pollinated non-bells that would fit the bill?
Have you tried Giant Marconi or Chinese Giant? These are huge pepers but not typical bells...Chinese Giant about 4" wide and 5 to 6 inches long.
Giant Marconi is about 3" wide by 8" long
Chinese giant is 75 to 80 days and Giant Marconi is 72-80 Days

Giant Marconi Chinese Giant

The other one that gets really big is Aconcagua
It is 70-75 Days. This is a GREAT pepper and we grow a lot of them. Some get a foot long and 4 inches around at the top.

Aconcagua
Old February 17, 2010   #23
kath
Tomatovillian™

Nope-haven't tried any of those, yet, but they are now on my list to try-thanks for the feedback!
Old February 17, 2010   #24
kath
Tomatovillian™

I am trying Big Red and Orange Sun this year as well as Marconi-is that the same as Giant Marconi?
Old February 17, 2010   #25
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am trying Big Red and Orange Sun this year as well as Marconi-is that the same as Giant Marconi?
No, Giant Marconi is unique. There is a Marconi Red, Marconi Gold and Marconi Purple but they are smaller than the Giant Marconi however, still quite large and they all have great flavor. I am in Wyoming and have a short growing season and these have been very reliable here. ALso, they are VERY crisp and hold up well once picked.
Old February 17, 2010   #26
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sounds good! The pics were tantalizing-thanks for taking the time to post them. I also have found with some peppers a tendency to get dark areas inside before they turn completely ripe-is that what people refer to as rot?
Old February 17, 2010   #27
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Sounds good! The pics were tantalizing-thanks for taking the time to post them. I also have found with some peppers a tendency to get dark areas inside before they turn completely ripe-is that what people refer to as rot?
Yes..I think iot is more of a problem in humid climes.
Old February 17, 2010   #28
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

I second brokenbars suggestion of Chinese giant...I never grew them here, but I gave seedlings away and the recipients are all converts since...I have not had as much success with the Marconis...some years they do ok , some not...
Brokenbar my grow list is very similar, only I grow a handful of varieties for short season anaheims like Santo domingo and Alcalde...Bells are highly overated in this climate, when so much else does better..

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2010   #29
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamato View Post
I second brokenbars suggestion of Chinese giant...I never grew them here, but I gave seedlings away and the recipients are all converts since...I have not had as much success with the Marconis...some years they do ok , some not...
Brokenbar my grow list is very similar, only I grow a handful of varieties for short season anaheims like Santo domingo and Alcalde...Bells are highly overated in this climate, when so much else does better..

Jeanne
I second that Jeanne! My Husband gets Bells but they are never as large or as early and not neary enough of them on each plant. He has had REALLY good success with Asti d Gallo... They are really huge and they ripen early to a beautiful gold here. I will have to let you know how "Titanico Viero Violetto " does. We got the seeds at a street stall down near the border of Beliz and they were 4 inches around and nearly a foot long and a beautiful mauve color. The guy who grew them said they took about 75 days but they have a lot more heat and humidity than we do. The Aconcquas have also done veyr well for us.
Old February 17, 2010   #30
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

brokenbar,

I am glad to hear the Aconcagua and Marconi Rosso(Red) do well for you in your climate. I will be growing them for the first time this year so hopefully they do well in my climate.

I have tried and tried to grow bells with little success and have decided to switch to 99% non-bell for my sweet peppers. I grew Cubanelle peppers last season and they did very well for me.

Funny thing I can not grow bell pepppers, but my brother last year(his first year gardening), grow the most beautiful and productive bell peppers(California) I have every seen. Beginners luck!!

Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote