Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 23, 2015   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Too Much Rain for Peppers?

In our established garden and raised beds, the peppers planted seem happy that it has been raining every other day for weeks now. In the new garden that has clay a few inches under the loam soil that was moved there about 2 months ago - well, it seems too wet. This new garden is what this is all about.

It rained a half inch overnight. The soil was already wet (Not soaking) because of this unusually wet spring. It never gets a chance to dry out. Today, I noticed some lower yellowing leaves on some of the pepper plants. It looks like when you overwater while they were in solo cups. I've also been noticing thinner leaves on the Chocolate Cherry Bomb plants. The leaves are slightly curled on the edges.

My idea was to get the new garden started this spring and add leaves, composted manure, straw, lawn cuttings and to grow a lot of Black Eyed Peas to turn under in it this summer. The overall idea is to end with an 18'x60' raised bed that is uniformly 6" deep on top of the existing clay. I just didn't expect all this rain. We have been in a drought since 2007....Not anymore.

As always, any comments, thoughts, ideas are welcome.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #2
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

You're correct. If the ground isn't draining well, especially over a period of days or weeks, peppers will be unhappy. What have temperatures been like?
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2015   #3
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

70 - 82F highs and lows from 48 - 60F. This is the third straight week of wet conditions.
Old April 23, 2015   #4
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Well, the temperatures aren't too bad, so if it would stop raining all the time, they might bounce back. Peppers are tough little beasties.

I don't think we've had as much rain as you have, but it feels like the weather conspires to be wet and gray every day I have off work.
Old April 24, 2015   #5
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Along with the rain, there has probably been reduced sunlight due to the cloud cover. The combination of the two could cause the yellowing, and perhaps even some leaf drop. I had that happen here several years ago, during a very wet Spring. I mention sunlight because that year, even the plants still in the greenhouse - which were not exposed to the rain - began yellowing. Hopefully there is no permanent root damage from the waterlogged soil. Provided the weather clears (which it hasn't yet, based upon your weather radar as I write this) your plants should recover. Raising your bed level should reduce your drainage issues in the future; I am actually facing a similar issue in my low-laying rural garden.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2015   #6
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Another inch and 1/8th fell this evening. This one I planned for. I fertilized with 10-10-10 an inch and a half deep in a 5 inch circle around the plants this morning. They still may drown, but they'll have their NPK.

I watched the rain in the new garden. Raindrops bounced and ran off quickly. The same rain in our established garden doesn't do that even though the incline/decline is the same. One huge difference is the amount of organic material in the established garden. For 4 years, I've added/dug-in/tilled-in oak leaves, straw, certain garden plants, and hay. (Mostly oak leaves) For 2014 - now, there are no signs of runoff. We live on the side of a hill. Yes, it has been a lot of work, and yes, it is worth it. I have no doubt that if it can grow in my area - it will grow in my established garden - with exception of plants needing alkaline soil.
Old April 24, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All I got was 1/2 inch this morning.
Luckily the beds drain.
soon things will let up and your plants will jump for joy.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #8
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I've lost all my peppers due to the cold, wet, constant rain here in DFW. I've never really grown peppers before, should I try starting a new batch from seed or is it too late?
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #9
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Strangely, my peppers have never been happier in Spring. They usually find it to be getting hot by now and slowing production. (They love fall here, fyi) This year, they have lots of peppers growing and lots of blooms. They are in an 18" high raised bed that drains really well. So, I don't think it is temps or rain frequency, but could well be too wet for their liking if the drainage isn't happening. If you are saying your bed is raised 6 inches and then pure clay, I'm guessing wet feet because that clay will be holding water until June if it doesn't rain again!

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #10
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Before I had raised beds my peppers would suffer greatly and even some would die during wet rainy periods like this. Despite the lack of sunshine and the overabundance of rain they are looking pretty good so far this year except for the leaves getting chewed up a bit.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2015   #11
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Vespertino, what's your first frost date? It's probably not too late for any expect for the really long season peppers. If you were growing some of the superhots, you might be out of luck for this year; but there are lots and lots of other peppers that will grow and give you a bountiful harvest by fall.
Old April 29, 2015   #12
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vespertino View Post
I've lost all my peppers due to the cold, wet, constant rain here in DFW. I've never really grown peppers before, should I try starting a new batch from seed or is it too late?
Peppers grow well until mid-October here in the DFW area. Once the temperature drops below 50F - they are basically done.

If I had to start over today, I would go buy pepper transplants.
Old April 29, 2015   #13
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

My peppers were doing awesome, but after all this rain and cool weather they are looking VERY sad right now. REALLY REALLY sad.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote