Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 16, 2017   #136
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Small is the gate and narrow the path that leads to the finest Brandy Boy's in the land.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #137
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Haha - Ricky - you've got that right. We've been able to find that gate and path every year. Guess we will continue until we find a better one! We're giving Sudduth another look and Cowlicks a first glance this year too.
Hudson_WY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2017   #138
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Cowlick's did awesome last year. Given a choice, that's the Brandywine for me.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21, 2017   #139
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

First time getting a little sunshine.

roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #140
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Coming inside for the next transplant into 4" pots, I've kept them a nice pale green by restricting fertilizer. It helps for surviving the cold nights. Now I will add Osmocote and they will green up for sale, as well as grow faster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170323_193752.jpg (263.3 KB, 121 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #141
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

very pretty, even without the green lantern corps membership
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #142
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Cowlick's did awesome last year. Given a choice, that's the Brandywine for me.
Yes, they are a very nice BW. However, I have a new one that I am trialing this year that I got from a member here who knows his tomatoes, and he said it was the best he has seen. It is growing right beside a BW Sudduth's, if it passes the test, I will send out some seed.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #143
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking healthy plants, Cole. They are almost ready for plant out. My second batch seedlings are about the same size. But the first ones are about 12 to 16" tall, some flowing. Tomorrow they will have permanent home in the garden. No more freeze/frost in 15 day forecast and nothing under 48F. til April 6.
Oh ! my peppers and eggplants are very anxious too. hehe.
I should take some pictures tomorrow before I start planting.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2017   #144
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Yes, they are a very nice BW. However, I have a new one that I am trialing this year that I got from a member here who knows his tomatoes, and he said it was the best he has seen. It is growing right beside a BW Sudduth's, if it passes the test, I will send out some seed.
Please post your experiences with Cowlicks AKMark! I would like to compare my results with yours!
Old March 23, 2017   #145
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson_WY View Post
Please post your experiences with Cowlicks AKMark! I would like to compare my results with yours!
I have three sources of seed. One was given to me from a friend and it came right from Camo Chef, but my favorite came from Tatiana. I cannot explain why there was some variation in taste. I got 39lbs from a plant that came from Tatiana's seed, nice shaped fruit and the taste was great. My favorite for taste is still Sudduth's, I also had good luck with Liam's, it may not be pure though, I would have to look it up.
Old March 23, 2017   #146
Hudson_WY
Tomatovillian™

I also have a BW Sudduth's right next to a BW Cowlicks in our GH right now. The Cowlick's seed is from Tatiana. This is the first year for Cowlicks for us. I thought from your post that it was Cowlicks that was on trial for you this year. What is the new BW that you are growing for the first time that you have planted right next to BW Sudduths?
Old March 23, 2017   #147
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grew Cowlick's for 3 seasons.The new one is just called BW, it was picked up at a stand by a member here, who has grown a bunch of varieties. He says it is the best BW he has seen. I will report back soon on it. He can chime in if he wants and disclose all the info.
Old March 24, 2017   #148
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Coming inside for the next transplant into 4" pots, I've kept them a nice pale green by restricting fertilizer. It helps for surviving the cold nights. Now I will add Osmocote and they will green up for sale, as well as grow faster.
Cole, do you use any fert during this stage? Specifically anything from Kelp4less?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #149
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

If I look at your pics I get almost discouraged. Here are my seedlings, clearly way behind yours and not as beautiful as yours are. As you can see, I have a problem in providing them enough lights, but there’s very little I can do about that. I don’t have/use artificial lights and during the day I keep them in my balcony under a semi transparent plastic box to prevent them from strong wind and occasionally from chilly weather. The germination rate was approximately 70%, so not so good and not so bad. Two varieties didn’t germinate at all : Pink Furry Boar (seeds from 2013) and Rebel Yell. Rebel Yell will get another shot tonight when I should start tray #2. I only had 4 seeds of PFB and used them all, so this variety may get a second chance only next year if I find new seeds.
I’m planning on transplanting the seedlings in my garden around mid-May. Sometime in April I will repot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170321_22_51_37_Pro.jpg (284.8 KB, 107 views)
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017   #150
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
First time getting a little sunshine.

Nice job Roper! How big are your plastic cups? Are you planning on repotting your seedlings in bigger pots or will you transplant them directly into the ground, raised beds or whatever their final destination is? I sowed my seeds in trays that have small cells (see post #149) so I will definitely have to repot them. I read that many Tville members use party cups for this second stage. Yours seem smaller and of the kind I could find more easily and for a cheaper price.
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote