Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 30, 2017   #16
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
If you had to cut a scape off them they will have divided if not they will be rounds. Those hardnecks that do not form a scape are always rounds.
I noticed my garlic patch didn't produce any scapes at all this year. I had lots of rounds, but also plenty of divided bulbs. The rounds are larger than the cloves I planted last year and are set aside for planting this fall.
Old August 1, 2017   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
Those look great, Bower! A few even look like they wanted to separate this year. Hopefully next year your be pulling up full heads.
Yes indeed, this seems to be a way to size them up alright. I have ten 3rd year Persian Star growing from cloves, will be interesting to compare the size of them.
Some of the 'rounds' looked almost clove shaped or angular when I pulled them, but after cleanup they are looking more rounded, and clearly have no divisions - except for one which, you're right, looks like it has tried to or made a division on one side.

Strangely the mini-bulbs with scapes had a very thin skin that just rubbed right off. It looks like the divisions are below the surface, maybe the top layer will dry and become a skin as well. Only the one with no scape, that seems divided, still has a skin, like the rounds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PStar-divided-ish.JPG (217.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg PStar-rounds.JPG (299.1 KB, 19 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote