Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old November 20, 2009   #31
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Hey Travis, Isnt it also known as the P20? I can see where the confusion would not do anything positive for the strain, I also agree strongly with Carolyn about keeping true to the names. Otherwise we will have a hodge podge history of the same tomato. And keeping track of history is so important to tracing a tomato ti its origins.

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2009   #32
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yes, OSU Blue is known also as P20. Again my point is that renaming OSU Blue "Blueberry" when there already is a Blueberry tomato is doubling confounding when OSU Blue is traditionally bred and Blueberry is genetically engineered.

I'm not all that bothered by all the other renaming of tomato varieties considering it's been an ongoing thing for the past 100 - 150 years. I judge in on it's intentions or the harm it might cause and not just in general.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2009   #33
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

Collect total in weight for 3 plants:4.15 kg for 100 tomatoes.
The biggest: 179 g
six more than 80 g
23 more than 40 g
Collect : during 2 month (from August 17th t0 October 18th) 80 to 100 days after the plantation.
Most of the tomatoes have 2 changing rooms
One:5 rooms(67 g)
One:7 rooms(70 g)
One:9 rooms(113 g)
One:15 rooms(179 g)
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2009   #34
travis
Tomatovillian™

Ambiorix,

Toutes les tomates sur chaque vigne que j'ai cultivée des graines de source originale ont eu seulement deux chambres. L'existence de trois chambres ou plus est peu commun dans cette variété. Est-ce que je peux demander votre source des graines?

Si le fruit avec 5, 9 et 15 chambres sont autrement vrai pour colorer, contenu d'anthrocyanine et caractéristiques de vigne, je pense que vous devriez poursuivre ceux et utilisez leur pollen pour croiser avec de plus grandes variétés.
Old November 24, 2009   #35
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Ambiorix - Je suis d'accord avec Travis, les types chambrés de mutli sont choix et/ou croisement additionnels peu communs et de mérite. Michael Johnson a rapporté un "giant" ; la version du bleu d'OSU, tellement là est une variation plus génétique de ce matériel génétique que bon nombre d'entre nous pensée.

Paraphrased in english - pretty cool stuff Ambiorix, hope you continue working with these multi-chambered OSU lines. Michael Johnson has also reported on some large fruited variants.
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #36
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I'm getting quite a chuckle out of your paraphrase.... I'm not going to tell.

I'm finding the whole thread fascinating. Aller essayer d'élever dehors les graines j'ai obtenu l'année dernière de Jullianna et vois ce qu'est toute l'agitation. Ne peut pas attendre.

Je voudrais dire que je trouve vos observations très intéressantes. Tout le vous. J'espère qui peut rendre compte la saison prochaine semblable.

Et pardonnez svp mon français pauvre. Je n'ai pas pour répartir de l'occasion de pratiquer écrire en français de nos jours. Mon ancienne en Suisse de professeurs secouerait leurs têtes maintenant pour voir un état si triste de mon Français.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #37
travis
Tomatovillian™

Ambiorix, Egalement je devrais dire chaque vigne que j'ai cultivée fait 30 - 40 le fruit approximativement 50 - 75 grammes chacun. Les vignes étaient déterminées et chaque groupe a eu 9 - 13 tomates toutes avec seulement deux chambres des graines.

Ce semble les graines circulant autour de du monde l'instabilité continue.
Old November 24, 2009   #38
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

I collected(harvested) the seeds of 75 tomatoes.
I gave + - 25 tomatoes so that seeds are recupérées.
I exchanged the seeds of + - 25 tomatoes.
There are thus more than 50 persons who are going to make plantations of tomatoes grow in 2010 Each is going to send me these observations.
For my by I am going to select 12 plantations resulting from 12 sorts of tomatoes obtained in 2009.
I would so have a big quantity of different observations on the aspect of all the tomatoes.
I also intend to cross these twelve sorts of tomatoes
Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24, 2009   #39
travis
Tomatovillian™

Vous devriez croiser avec le Cherokee Pourpre pour la plus grandes taille et intensité et complexité de la saveur. Également la couleur sera belle. Juste une opinion.
Old January 4, 2010   #40
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Anyone else notice the photo on the inside cover of the new BC catalog?
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #41
travis
Tomatovillian™

Yeah. Looks like Orange Flesh Purple Smudge. Was offered in their catalog last year too. Not the same tomato as OSU Blue/P20.
Old January 4, 2010   #42
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Here's an early photo of fruit on a F1 plant that traces to a 2009 hand cross between OSU Blue and a Purple Haze F3 line. I was pleased to see an "anthocyanin shadow" on the top fruit surface exposed to the sun. F1 plants in the greenhouse this winter will allow me to plant a few different F2 populations in the field this summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0543.jpg (140.0 KB, 120 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #43
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

The F-2 seedlings I have in the greenhouse,(hope they havn't froze) show a nice range of no blue stems, sl. blue stems, and quite blue stems. I even have those with fully woolly pubescence as well.

In Austria, I have a 2010 garden area being named the Tom Wagner showcase with a special plot named "Searching for the Blue Zebra" and another showing the history of breeding lines starting with the original lines, the F-1's. That plot is being sponsored by Arche Noah.

There is going to be an explosion of blue tomatoes next year.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2010   #44
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Look for an unusual one that is pink with blue and Potato Leaf. I got it out of a large population of F2's grown from a cross of P20 X PH large fruited. I also have a regular leaf pink with blue and a large fruited red with blue that runs about a pound.

Tom, Please note that the P20 blue you are working with carries 3 genes to get the darkest expression. They are atv, aft, and abg and are documented here:
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/94/6/449

There is a problem getting abg to integrate with the other genes because of its location on chromosome 10.

Darrel Jones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2010   #45
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Quote:
Look for an unusual one that is pink with blue and Potato Leaf. I got it out of a large population of F2's grown from a cross of P20 X PH large fruited. I also have a regular leaf pink with blue and a large fruited red with blue that runs about a pound.

Tom, Please note that the P20 blue you are working with carries 3 genes to get the darkest expression. They are atv, aft, and abg and are documented here:
http://jhered.oxfordjournals.org/cgi.../full/94/6/449

There is a problem getting abg to integrate with the other genes because of its location on chromosome 10.

Darrel Jones
That is going to be part of the fun. Namely,
Quote:
The allelic relationships between Aft, Abg, and atv remain unclear
and the segregation with all kinds of other genes and the allelic recombinations and establishing OP's are going to be, like I said, fun. Big numbers of plants, please.
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote