Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 11, 2012   #1
ElectraJim
Tomatovillian™

Default Best way to add CaMg+ to SWC..trying to chase BER

I have a bad case of BER. Whats the best way to add something like this in hopes to chase away any more BER.
I have 5 gallon SWC's. I'm watering with a drip system down the tube, into the bottom.
I've recently got my hands on some CaMg+ and was wondering what would be the best way to add it?
http://www.generalhydroponics.com/bl...organics-camg/
http://generalhydroponics.com/site/g...-Feedchart.pdf

Thanks,
ElectraJim

Last edited by ElectraJim; July 11, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
ElectraJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Dolomitic Lime.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #3
ElectraJim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Dolomitic Lime.
Did that to the soil when I set it up. Added Lime-Rite. I assume that it isn't/wasn't enough, or I need to add a liquid type to get it absorbed quicker, or easier.

ElectraJim
ElectraJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

ElectraJim,
Soil drench or watering tube. You want it immediately available.
I assume the stuff you picked up is water soluble?

Personally I think you are chasing your tail (I am in Carolyn's camp on BER), but as most of us gardeners are also fiddlers, I certainly understand the need to try to do something.

This is Carolyn's old article which has been posted before, but it is a good one.
http://www.vintageveggies.com/inform...rolyn_ber.html
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #5
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Here is the summary

"
Many books, magazine articles and websites still say to add Ca++ as lime, eggshells, etc, and seem not to be aware of all the research that has been done in the last 20 years. But many books, magazine articles, are now sharing this newer information about addition of Ca++ not being able to either prevent or cure BER except in rare situations of low Ca++ soils or acidic soils.
I suppose it will take another generation for the right information to be present everywhere. And from my own experience I can tell you that there will be folks who will get madder than can be when they read this kind of info because they simply believe otherwise. So be it. Addition of modest amounts of Ca++ aren't' harmful, but I feel strongly that folks should know what's going on with past and current research re BER and Ca++." Carolyn
NY, Zone 4/5
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

What do you guys think of Calcium Nitrate for the same problem?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Growing tomatoes in containers is different than directly in the soil. (I know, now tell us something we don't know). Experience tells me that as the pots are watered, nutrients are washed out of the soil and need to be replenished. Not only the N,P and K, but the micros as well.

In the case of garden soils there is almost always sufficient calcium available, but in some cases it is not transmitted to the fruits which can cause BER. In the case of container growing you may well need to add not only some form of calcium but other nutrients in order to bring your growing medium into balance. Tricky stuff and that is why I have stayed away from container growing other than flowers.

You container growers need to jump in and help.
Old July 11, 2012   #8
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Many people use it in one form or another. Here are a few threads that are worth reading on CA and BER if y'all haven't seen them. I am sure there are others out there.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=14513
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19973
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2012   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I think it is an easy, cheap supplement for Calcium and Nitrogen and I have a very long growing season. I use a Teaspoon weekly down the watering tube in all my EarthBoxes. Not many problems with BER. Had some on some pastes this year, but I think that was set up by using too little of the TomatoTone fert. It was very cheap fertilizer. Next year, if I use it again, I will greatly increase the quanity applied. You get what you pay for.....
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Linda-I am just setting up my first earthbox this weekend for 2 tomato plants. The recommendation, I think, is 3 cups if you are using organic fert. How much did you use?
Old July 12, 2012   #11
tomakers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don't know about this problem, but I have talked to several commercial(small scale) growers who swear by calcium nitrate as a general fertilizer for tomatoes and onions, etc..
Old July 12, 2012   #12
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Michael _ I used the three cups and added Actinovate drench at plant out. It took a while to dawn on me that I was seeing a lack of vigor followed by nutrition issues. We had several discussions about this fert over on the EB Forum. Someone there knew someone at Epsoma who used EBs. They said and this is a quote "I use a minimum of 2 cups Tomato Tone and two cups BioTone Starter in each box" with good results. They were back east at the main Epsoma plant. I have a long growing season, so I would use MORE. And they said this was a MINIMUM.

I am converting my boxes to sythetic or blend. I would not use TomatoTone again without ammending it. I have had good results with other organic ferts in my EBs, like Dr. Earth. My personal opinion is that the new TT formula is weak when compared to other ferts.
Old July 12, 2012   #13
beatpoet
Tomatovillian™

I grow only in containers and this year have had a little BER, but only on one plant and it went away on its own without any change to my normal watering/fertilizing schedule. Last year I had it on a couple plants and tried adding molasses to my water to get more calcium but it had little effect(we had 20 days in a row of 90+ degree heat last summer so I suspect it was more stress related than anything). The molasses didn't hurt anything, but it didn't really help that problem. Haven't tried adding calcium in other forms so I can't speak to the other methods
Old July 12, 2012   #14
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Linda-I have read at least some of your posts over at the EB forum. I am planning on using the 3 cups, plus the Espoma Garden Lime, and every week in a gallon of water putting one teaspoon of GH FloraNova Grow, which is a 7-4-10 with micros-its a complete fert. I may switch once my plants have flowered to GH FloraNova Bloom, which is a 4-7-10 with micros.
Old July 13, 2012   #15
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like a good plan. I learned a lot in the process but didnt get very many good maters from those first plant outs! Do you get the flora products on Amazon?