Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old February 18, 2016   #1
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Default Beans in SIP/SWC?

I've done pretty well growing tomatos in 5 gallon subirrigated container. However beans elude me. Has anyone has any success? Tips?
Old February 18, 2016   #2
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any tips, but have had good success growing climbing green beans on the roof garden. They have a mesh screen to grow on.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016   #3
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I've tried growing yard long/asparagus beans and Insuk's but they never produce all that much before croaking...
Old February 19, 2016   #4
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I don't really have a name for mine, as I saved seed from a pack of Blue Lake bush green bean seedlings I bought. One appeared to be a vigorous climber, so I have been saved seeds and grown it ever since. Same tender bean I love in Blue Lake. So I don't know if what I have is the same as the commercially available Blue Lake climbing green bean, but I suspect it is.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #5
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Are you thinking of doing the climbing ones or bushes?

Beans along with Broccoli are insect magnets around here. For the most part I use my beans as an insect trap/sacrificial offering so they leave the tomatoes alone.

Golden Rocky from Fedco is solid, and they give you 2 ounces for pretty cheap.

Last edited by Gerardo; February 19, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #6
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I don't really have a name for mine, as I saved seed from a pack of Blue Lake bush green bean seedlings I bought. One appeared to be a vigorous climber, so I have been saved seeds and grown it ever since. Same tender bean I love in Blue Lake. So I don't know if what I have is the same as the commercially available Blue Lake climbing green bean, but I suspect it is.

There's more than one Blue Lake pole bean (FM-1, S-7, etc...), so you should suspect it is one of them.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigiwu View Post
I've tried growing yard long/asparagus beans and Insuk's but they never produce all that much before croaking...
Someone sent me a few yardlong beans they say are bush type (didn't know they exist). They were grown in containers, on both sides of the cement walkway/entrance to a Chinese restaurant. I don't have enough to share at this time.

Common bush beans would likely be your best choice for containers. Those, I have loads.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #8
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Someone sent me a few yardlong beans they say are bush type (didn't know they exist). They were grown in containers, on both sides of the cement walkway/entrance to a Chinese restaurant. I don't have enough to share at this time.

Common bush beans would likely be your best choice for containers. Those, I have loads.

http://www.rareseeds.com/thai-soldier-long-bean-/

http://www.rareseeds.com/thai-green-...ush-long-bean/

http://www.rareseeds.com/thai-suranaree-bush-long-bean/

If they are half as good tasting as the normal vining long beans they are worth growing. I have green star on order and will be trying to find garden space this summer.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

I've had great success growing wax beans in (4 gal?) containers for two years now. I have also grown scarlet runners in 5 gal pots for the hummingbirds and they only stop producing beans when it gets too hot but they keep producing flowers for the birds. In a much larger container I have grown an old fashioned runner type with good results as well. I use a peat perlite #4 mix with compost and not much fertilizer. Also use a pan to retain water under the pots when it starts to get hot.

I have a heck of a time here getting beans past the wood bugs when they are grown in the ground and now that I am older I'd rather not bend to the ground to pick bush types so pots up on something works for me.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote