Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 17, 2012   #1
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Default Bark fines and....

Please don't hate me, but I just discovered... the place that gave me my extra garden is happy to sell me pine bark fines for thiry-something a cubic yard. Cool.

I break the rules, and use soil in my containers. They are 18-gallon rubbermaid type, not self watering.

In the past, I've used horse manure, topsoil, and peat with success. Last year (long story) I used topsoil, mushroom compost, peat, and sand. It did pack down more.

I was trying to get more horse manure, and refresh the containers, but the guy's wife got in an accident, so understandably he didn't make my delivery, and I'm not sure he's going to. It would loosen things up a bunch, as there's some half-decomposed straw etc. in there. But I may not be able to get it.

So what I'm wondering is if I could take my current mixture (soil, peat, mushroom compost, and sand) and dump it out and mix in a bunch of bark fines.

Would that help? What proportion should I use of the fines, if I do?

Thanks!
Old May 21, 2012   #2
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I apologize, i don't know the answer to your question...

I'm new here.

Just thought that I would say Hello! We are practically neighbors.
Dork Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #3
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

tam- I think the bark fines would really help fluff up your mix. You have a alot of water retentive ingredients in your current soil. So I would recommend at least a 50/50 mix. What are you fertilizing with?

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #4
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

OBTW- 30 something bucks a cubic yard is an awsome price, I pay almost double that.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Hi Neighbor - we have another t-ville member who could practically walk over here. We keep talking about having our own mini tomato tasting.

Damon, I did try them, we added a bunch. Not so scientific as to be able to say half, but lots.

Last year my mix was fresh, so I didn't fertilize a lot - just used some miracle grow for tomatoes. This year, I'm thinking about mixing in some Tomato Tone - must look at the directions and see if I can mix it in after the fact (I did plant them already, they really wanted out of their little containers).

The farm decided to be generous with me - gave me almost double what I needed. Which is nice, I guess I'll use it as mulch - but now I do have an extra project, as I have to move it all off the lawn! I love gardening, but hate shoveling.
Old June 17, 2012   #6
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Yes the bark fines would most certainly help, I would suggest leaving out the sand.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2012   #7
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Well the mix came with sand already in it (topsoil, compost, and sand) so I have it whether or not I really want it.
Seems to working out ok so far though.
Old June 18, 2012   #8
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Oh, I thought the sand was just another incredient.

Jan

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote