Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 12, 2014   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Granadero F1 - Productivity and versatility

This is not the only variety from Enza Zaden that impressed me this year. But I think Granadero F1 is well worth mentioning here, because of it's versatility.

It is very productive, and pretty disease resistant to a wide variety of pathogens. The one thing it doesn't seem to have is Late Blight resistance.

If you let it ripen fully (this takes a long time, until softening occurs) it has very good "fresh" flavor for caprese salad etc.

The fruit hold a long time, on and off the vine. (so remember to be patient if you want the best "fresh" flavor)

It is a solid paste tomato. The skin is a bit thick, and it has more seeds than some pastes. But, if you properly blanch and remove the skins, and squirt out the seeds, it makes a very nice bright, sweet sauce.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #2
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I think I'm going to give this one a try. Fred which other Hybrids have you found to be good sellers at your farmers market or just good in general?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2016   #3
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I really haven't sold other hybrids at farmers' markets (except SunGold and Supersweet 100, back before I had similar things of my own).

However, I am always surprised how many paste tomatoes I can sell at an "heirloom" price. There is a segment of the population that seems to be ready to pay a premium for paste tomatoes to can -- when they are organic.

In my experience, Granadero sells pretty much as well as San Marzano types.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I think I'm going to give this one a try. Fred which other Hybrids have you found to be good sellers at your farmers market or just good in general?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote