Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old November 2, 2007   #1
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Default Which eggplant variety to start

I am going to have a green house next year and I thought I would like to try to grow a few eggplants. What are a couple of varieties that would be good to start with?

Note, I have only eaten eggplant in "Greek Moussaka", twenty years ago. I plan on cooking some Moussaka again and grilling them.

thanks,
Dean
DeanRIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2007   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

I like Listada de Gandia.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2007   #3
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Almaz (or "Diamond" in English) is the best and easy to grow eggplant variety I know. It is early enough and very prolific. Ukraininan CV well-known in USA and other western world.
Also I can name a dozen of less known eggplant varieties of former USSR origin which are still very popular here in CIS and Eastern Europe like our Belarusian eggplant masterpiece Patsekha. But if you would like to try some novelties with odd colours and shapes you better try Orienthal varieties from China, Japan and other Asian countries. I'm sure you will be able to order them from American seed-sources.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2007   #4
orflo
Tomatovillian™

I agree with Andrey , diamond is very good. Some good Western European eggplants are: de Barbentane, Antigua, Black Beauty, Longue Violette,...
Frank
orflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2007   #5
tumbleweed
Tomatovillian™

Ichiban eggplant does well down here, it's productive, sweet and tender, my favorite for the last few years
Old November 5, 2007   #6
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Pink Tung Long is great as well. Compact and long purple fruit.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008   #7
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

There is no better tasting eggplant than Rosa Bianca. Next is any of the other white with lavender stripes, or pure white varieties. I wouldn't even bother growing a purple eggplant anymore for myself.

The price in the supermarket says it all. While regular eggplant sells for under a $1 a pound, white or lavender sells for $3.99 a pound here!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008   #8
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I was able to get started:

Long Purple Dark
Rosa Bianca
Black Beauty

Thank you everyone for the recommendations.

Dean
Old May 3, 2008   #9
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Green Giant from JSS
Lavendar Touch F1
Machiaw F1
Antigua
New York Improved
Prosperosa

so many great eggplant! We find the flavor pretty similar, so go for color uniqueness and productivity...and grow a variety of shapes for various uses.
Old May 4, 2008   #10
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
There is no better tasting eggplant than Rosa Bianca. Next is any of the other white with lavender stripes, or pure white varieties. I wouldn't even bother growing a purple eggplant anymore for myself.

The price in the supermarket says it all. While regular eggplant sells for under a $1 a pound, white or lavender sells for $3.99 a pound here!
That is so good to know. I know nothing about eggplant (don't even like the stuff I think) but it is one of the veggies we are growing this year just because we loved Chard last year. It so happens that Rosa Bianca was the one that Grow Italian was offering so that is the one I got. I have six pretty little plants getting ready to go out.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #11
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I wish you good luck, granny!

Maybe I was lucky, but 2 years ago, we had a relatively hot summer. I got 2 full size Rosa's and 1 small one late. But it was still $12-$13 worth of eggplant, which made the space it took up well worth it.

And Dean, I hope you didn't mean Long Dark Purple. Last year, all I got were flowers, but it was extra chilly.

I am curious. I understand a volcano erupted in South America. If it was big enough, we could have another cold summer, which, in zones 3-5, could mean no eggplant.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008   #12
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Accidently picked up Lavendar Touch instead of Rosa Bianca last year and LT was wonderful - productive, tender skin - will be growing double the amount this year for freezing, etc. May try a Rosa if they have a single plant available. Many in my neighborhood are immigrants and I see all kinds of egg plants growing - Vietnamse, Afghan, mideast - very small orange ones, next door to very small lavendar/white striped ones. Piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Yes Lavendar Touch is a great egg plant and I have had great luck with Florida market and Black beauty also.

Florida market is an old standard market egg plant from years ago.
The plants I have grown have gotten to about 4 feet tall.

Florida market.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008   #14
DeanRIowa
Tomatovillian™

barkeater said,
Quote:
And Dean, I hope you didn't mean Long Dark Purple. Last year, all I got were flowers, but it was extra chilly.

Yes, I think that is the one, I got it in a trade. I will let you know, how it does for me.

barkeater said,
Quote:
I am curious. I understand a volcano erupted in South America. If it was big enough, we could have another cold summer, which, in zones 3-5, could mean no eggplant.

I haven't heard of any significant eurption this year, but maybe I missed it. I plan on growing my eggplants in containers and in a small greenhouse this summer. If it is chiller then normal that ought to help.

This is my first year growing eggplant anyway so a few of each variety would probably do me just fine.

thanks,

Dean