Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 19, 2018   #16
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Just got a coupon from a local nursery I really like to pick any three packs of Burpee seeds for free! Nice. Asking: which ones would you pick?!
well, I bought for the second year in a row, "honey delight" lg yellow cherry tomato and "Orange Slice Hy".... lg yellow/orange, 16+oz, round, (I) ...
Old January 20, 2018   #17
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2601 View Post
Just got a coupon from a local nursery I really like to pick any three packs of Burpee seeds for free! Nice. Asking: which ones would you pick?!
Steak Sandwich
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #18
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

they are running 50% off $50/100/200 promo today, however, I don't think you can stack coupons. not my favorite joint, but they have brandy boy - which I like to grow every year.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2018   #19
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Yes... Steak Sandwich... it did okay in my garden last year even with the bac. speck. I got about 3 tomatoes off the plant... which compared to most other plants... that was a haul! It doesn't say on the packet though that it is pink (at least I didn't see anywhere that it was). I am planting that one again, also.
Old March 24, 2018   #20
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Burpee catalog arrived yesterday. Honestly I was not impressed. Seed much too expensive; plants just as expensive. Only a few items of interest but even the squash is far too many weed for my use. Only saw 1-2 items to consider buying at bulk pricing.

Many other vendors have far better pricing on the small fruit items.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #21
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

I don't think I will buy seeds from them again as I bought a sweet pepper blend that had sweet banana and Corno di Toro.I was looking for Corno di Toro only but this was all I could find so I bought them thinking I'll plant just those.Turns out all the seeds were loose together and they all looked alike.I have 4 plants up out of 16 so far after almost 2 weeks.Will not know which I have until they grow fruit.

Last edited by cjp1953; March 24, 2018 at 07:31 AM.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2018   #22
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Yes... Steak Sandwich... it did okay in my garden last year even with the bac. speck. I got about 3 tomatoes off the plant... which compared to most other plants... that was a haul! It doesn't say on the packet though that it is pink (at least I didn't see anywhere that it was). I am planting that one again, also.
Yours seems like an unusually non-productive experience for SS with bac. speck. I grow it here in Zone 3a and its 70 DTM typically gets me 4 or 5 bracts, with 3 to 6 fruit in each. It is a pink, and imho, one of the best tasting. I hope your 2018 experience is better. In the picture, SS is on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SteakSandwich.jpg (34.0 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg SteakSandwichWeight.jpg (10.3 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by RJGlew; March 24, 2018 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Add 2nd picture
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote