Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old January 28, 2015   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Starting seeds and vacations

So we're going to visit some family during seed starting time. Some things will be rather small, others will have been going for a number of weeks while we are gone for 5 nights. The lights are easy--a timer. Other than asking a friend or family member come water the seedlings once while I'm gone, does anyone have ideas of how to keep seedlings watered while away?

I think I'd only need to ask someone to come out once--I'd water heavily before we leave and water once we got back, which should make once while we're gone sufficient. The other option is I do start my seeds in cell packs and containers that sit in 1020 flats without holes, so I could puddle up some water in the bottom and call it good. But I'm afraid that would be too much water. I am purposely not going to have freshly sown seeds going at that time--only things that have been sprouted for ~2 weeks.

FWIW, the seedlings of many types of veggies will be cool ~60F in the basement.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 28, 2015 at 04:29 PM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Claber-8053-4-...sin=B000U5YFR4

I left for 9 days over Christmas and it worked great. I also put a fan on a timer.

I have used it for 3 vacations now.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #3
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

1. Take them with you.
or
2. Get somebody to come by at least twice to water.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

For 5 days, you do not need to water. Leave them alone. The risk of someone overwatering them while you are gone is far higher than any damage from under watering in 5 days. Water before you go, leave them alone.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #5
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

There are capillary mats - I have no experience with them but thought I would throw it out there.

http://www.gardeners.com/buy/capilla...ng/40-385.html
Read the 3rd review that talks about only watering once a week.

Perhaps you can get the same thing effecting with some felt or fleece from the fabric store.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...0020912.html?4

Last edited by luigiwu; January 28, 2015 at 09:34 PM.
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

Funny, I am facing the same thing in about a week. I think my 29 year old son can water...but these are my babies! I think my peat pellets will dry out faster than my 1 1/2 inch flat cells. But, I am not that experienced with this stuff. I just don't want to lose my babies.
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies so far, the more the better! Interesting seeing the spread on the replies from leave them be to water at least twice.

The things that will be growing are onions, peppers, broccoli, lettuce and some herbs. The tomatoes won't be going yet (luckily).

Any specific comments regarding putting a small amount of water in the 1020 flats that can be effectively wicked up by the potting mix? The way I think about it is that basically buys me an extra day or two, which leaves them without watering for 3 days which I think would be ok. I think the cool temps will help too.

I suppose I could try it out with some potting mix and see how moist it remains as a baseline.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 28, 2015 at 10:40 PM.
Old January 28, 2015   #8
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

Potting MIX, anything peat-based, will wick up water through capillary action.
I only bottom water my seedlings and when I grow in my garden its all sub-irrigated. Its all peat-based potting mix.
Old January 28, 2015   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Weigh a completely dry potting container. Weigh a completely watered contained. Weigh the watered one each day to assess evaporation rates.

When I did this, I found a few things: water can evaporate up to 90% of weight before the plants droop. It took 6-10 days to reach that point. I use Promix HP for my potting up soil.

If you are talking about a germination tray, just make sure the top is well positioned, and water before you leave. You need no more water in 5 days.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #10
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Luigiwu is right. Capillary mats work great. You can rig them up multiple ways. Mat in the water at the bottom of a tray wrapped up around something holding everything above the water. I use starting trays with holes in the bottom and wrap the mat up over the tray. Make sure the mat is saturated to start wicking action. Set the pots with holes in the bottom on the mat. Water through the pot the first time to start the wicking into the pot.

Do this on a smaller scale.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34567
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #11
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You can get plants to live a long time with no care by sitting containers in a shallow pool of water. But the container has to be tall enough so that the mix doesn't stay too wet. Solo cups in about 1/2" of water is what I'm thinking. If you're still in cell trays, it's harder. It would be more like a tiny bit of water underneath them.

Temperature also plays a big role in water transpiration. The cooler it is, the longer the plants can go without being watered .
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
Weigh a completely dry potting container. Weigh a completely watered contained. Weigh the watered one each day to assess evaporation rates.

When I did this, I found a few things: water can evaporate up to 90% of weight before the plants droop. It took 6-10 days to reach that point. I use Promix HP for my potting up soil.

If you are talking about a germination tray, just make sure the top is well positioned, and water before you leave. You need no more water in 5 days.
I think I'll give this a try with the smaller cell containers I'll have plants in. The larger ones I think will be OK--but the small volume of the others is more concerning (basically the ones with lettuce and broccoli).
Old January 29, 2015   #13
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Just remember that the larger the plants are in the containers, the more water they will uptake. (They aren't empty containers).
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #14
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Justin, sounds like you could use something like an ebb and flow (flood and drain) system or some part of it to maintain soil moisture levels. There are a lot of you-tube videos about them. Maybe you can get some ideas there. Check it out. And good luck.

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2015   #15
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I fill my lettuce seedling trays with about an inch of water and then drain what's left after 12 or 24 hours +/-. If there is only about 1/4 inch of water left I just leave it there. Lettuce likes a lot of water. Then repeat every two to five days depending on the weather (they are usually kept outdoors)

If I were going on vacation I would put an inch or more of water in the tray depending on the temps.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote