Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 14, 2021   #1
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Default white squash?

Hi:

My parents used to grow a white squash of sorts. They grew rather large, more long than wide, had a hard-ish skin from what I remember. These would be shredded and made into a stew of sorts (tekvicova omáčka). Mom and dad called it a "european squash" or "slovak squash". Searching internet, can't find it, closest approximations I found have been Alba Cucurbita (alba cucurbita pepo??) or a white vegetable marrow or zucchini marrow. I'm not really up to speed on naming and varieties of squash. First time growing some random common variety from the nursery in buckets, seem to be doing okay.

I'd like to try growing some for them next year. I was given last of their seeds, but unfortunately, they did not germinate.

If you have an idea what I'm talking about, would you kindly point me to some seed sources, preferably US? I found a few online, but the sellers are either ebay or companies I've never seen before, so I hesitate.

Thanks!
paradajky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2021   #2
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This is a Slovak variety of pumpkin Kveta. The seeds are still sold, it's not a problem to buy them.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4001-semo-zelenina-tykev-obecna-kveta-269x500.jpg (43.8 KB, 159 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2021   #3
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Yup, that's it, awesome! Are there slovak/czech seed companies that would ship to the US? Searching google for kveta squash/marrow brings up a few international seed companies, but I've no idea how to tell if they are reputable. I found this company, for example: https://gardenseedsmarket.com/marrow-kveta.html
However, reviews of the company are kind of bad.
Hmmm.
Old July 15, 2021   #4
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Send me a PM with your mailing address. I'll send you one bag of seeds.
Vladimír
Old July 17, 2021   #5
agee12
Tomatovillian™

I purchased White Lebanese Bush Summer Squash from Seeds Now, link - https://www.seedsnow.com/collections...ese-white-bush .

Squash (Summer) - Marrow, White is also on their website, link - https://www.seedsnow.com/collections...h-white-marrow .
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2022   #6
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

MrBig46: thank you again!!
Have two growing now, I have to manually pollinate, the bees haven't discovered them yet. Hopefully more soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kveta 1.jpg (176.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg kveta 2.jpg (238.2 KB, 107 views)
Old July 1, 2022   #7
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

That is so cool!! Let us know how you prepare them.
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2022   #8
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradajky View Post
Hi:

My parents used to grow a white squash of sorts. They grew rather large, more long than wide, had a hard-ish skin from what I remember. These would be shredded and made into a stew of sorts (tekvicova omáčka). Mom and dad called it a "european squash" or "slovak squash". Searching internet, can't find it, closest approximations I found have been Alba Cucurbita (alba cucurbita pepo??) or a white vegetable marrow or zucchini marrow. I'm not really up to speed on naming and varieties of squash. First time growing some random common variety from the nursery in buckets, seem to be doing okay.

I'd like to try growing some for them next year. I was given last of their seeds, but unfortunately, they did not germinate.

If you have an idea what I'm talking about, would you kindly point me to some seed sources, preferably US? I found a few online, but the sellers are either ebay or companies I've never seen before, so I hesitate.

Thanks!
I grow a Native Americans "White Quash Squash:.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2022   #9
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

Hensaplenty, we will make "omacka", which is like a stew: roux, saute onions/garlic (optional), add shredded squash, water/vege/chicken stock, dill, bay leaf, squeeze of lemon. Typically served as a side dish.

I only have two fruits, letting one fully ripen for seed, the other 16" one just harvested today. I'm sure I'll have more, don't see any female flowers yet, but plenty of new growth appearing at the center. This thing will make enough food for like two weeks hahaha ;D
Old July 7, 2022   #10
Hensaplenty
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for sharing! Sounds delicious! So glad you are having success with the white squash!
Hensaplenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2022   #11
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradajky View Post
Hensaplenty, we will make "omacka", which is like a stew: roux, saute onions/garlic (optional), add shredded squash, water/vege/chicken stock, dill, bay leaf, squeeze of lemon. Typically served as a side dish.

I only have two fruits, letting one fully ripen for seed, the other 16" one just harvested today. I'm sure I'll have more, don't see any female flowers yet, but plenty of new growth appearing at the center. This thing will make enough food for like two weeks hahaha ;D
I'm glad you're happy with the pumpkin.
Vladimír
Old June 13, 2023   #12
paradajky
Tomatovillian™

I gave away many seeds from the saved fruit and kept some for me.

This year, planted into two, 5-gallon buckets, two plants each. Didn't have the heart to thin. So leaves are smaller. First flower in 51 days, sadly, no male flower to pollinate

It does look like I have multiple male and female flowers on all four plants, just need to be patient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kveta squash female flower 2023.jpg (159.3 KB, 17 views)