Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2014   #46
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Good question. I started with two JPO plants, but lost one to wind damage. The remaining plant looks good and healthy. Blossoms should be opening soon on it. Hopefully others will chime in. This variety is much anticipated by me.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #47
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I don't want to get too optimistic because Joe's DTM is just barely within our normal expectations, even in a normal year, and this year is more chilly and damp than normal . . . we're still having lows in the 40's, and snow just a little higher than we are . . . and there's many a hailstone and flea beetle between now and any harvest . . . BUT

the four Joe's Pink Oxheart plants that made it to the garden May 26 are among the biggest, strongest, greenest, generally most healthy looking of all the seed-started tomatoes.

Just looking down the row of others planted at the same time, it's clear that Joe's is a winner, even if factors beyond its control limit its performance this year . . . and I'm not at all sure any adverse condition will slow Joe down . . . if Yellowstone goes off, that might discourage it some, but this is one tough tomato!

Fred was right, this is an exceptional tomato variety . . . about as close to 'a tomato everyone should try' as you'll ever find, I suspect.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #48
peebee
Tomatovillian™

We just ate our first JPO and it was the first time EVER that my husband commented on a tomato; usually he just eats any home-grown one in silent appreciation. "This might be the perfect tomato. Has just the right balance of whatever it is you are always talking about, what is it, the acidity/sweetness/texture whatever?" I think my mouth dropped open in surprise, before I realized I have to eat it too to see what he was talking about.
Yes it IS good. It sort of reminded me of a good Momotaro but even better and meatier (I like meaty tomatoes with few seeds). The plant itself is strong and robust. The only thing I can complain about right now is that I don't see any more ripening any time soon. Maybe its a slow starter and will become more productive later.
Right now, Dester which I am also growing for the first time, is #1 in terms of disease-free health and overall plant strength and productivity. Loaded with fruit. But I haven't tasted it yet, will do so tomorrow.
Thanks Fred, JPO is my new grow-every-year tomato!
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2014   #49
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ultimate thanks go to Margie,who was my source of the seeds that were grown out for seed production by several TV members,thanks to them as well,that I offered in my seed offer and to Fred as well,for making it more widely known.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2014   #50
pondgardener
Tomatovillian™

I am looking forward to getting some of Joe's Pink Oxheart to ripen, but in the meantime here is a picture of one plant in the garden...

George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2576.jpg (60.5 KB, 333 views)

Old Proverb
pondgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2014   #51
Douglas14
Tomatovillian™

Nice George! Those look like some nicely-shaped, full-hearts. I hope to hear many reports on this variety as the season progresses. My lone Joe's Pink Oxheart plant is well behind yours, but if things go well, I should get my first taste of this variety in Sept.
Douglas14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #52
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

edit: looked at my layout wrong! removed pic of Orange Russian 117

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin

Last edited by ChrisK; July 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM.
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2014   #53
Iva
Tomatovillian™

I picked the first Joe's Pink Oxheart just a few days ago, it was grown in my neighbors greenhouse from a spare plant I gave him. I got seeds from Carolyn.
The plant itself is loaded with fruits and quite a few will start ripening very soon. The fruit I picked was the one pictured here, but I haven't tried it yet. Will do so today and tell you about it later

Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2014   #54
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Here it is cut:

The taste was somewhat bland as expected due to the lack of sun in the last couple of months. But it does show potential as there is some complexity in the flavor, just subtle...
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #55
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Harvested a 2 lb JPO today!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2014   #56
kath
Tomatovillian™

So far, one two-pounder from Joe's Pink Oxheart here- 2 lbs., 3.2 oz. to be exact. They tend to have deep cracks on the top in my garden despite our dry season and have quite a mild taste. So far, 20 fruits have been harvested from two pruned plants, with 6 of them at least one pound. They've really helped to fill the canning jars quickly.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #57
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Excellent tomato... sincere thanks to T'ville members for the recommendation. My plant produced small "pumpkin" size fruits with excellent flavor. This one weighed in at 45.4 ounces.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPO.jpg.jpg (151.7 KB, 108 views)
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #58
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashman View Post
Excellent tomato... sincere thanks to T'ville members for the recommendation. My plant produced small "pumpkin" size fruits with excellent flavor. This one weighed in at 45.4 ounces.

Michael
Wow- and it looks perfect!
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #59
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I'll post a picture of one of mine soon. My scale is broken, so I was not able to weigh it. I grew two plants and each one had a good number of very large beautiful meaty hearts.Needless to say, it will be a repeat in my garden next year.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2014   #60
Mashman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Needless to say, it will be a repeat in my garden next year.
==================================================

This will be a "must grow" each year for us as well. Not sure who Joe is but he bred a heck of a Pink Oxheart.

Michael
Mashman is offline   Reply With Quote