Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old April 16, 2014   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help with fertilzers!

I make my own soilless mix; I know it's not technically soil, but I figured this was the best place to post this, as my question is about something going into the mix I make.

The mix I make is listed below; it's a large batch, and each lg. batch makes 30-35 gallons.

2-3 cubic feet pine bark fines/pine bark mulch
5 gallons spaghnum peat moss
5 gallons perlite

The 'recipe' also says 2 cups of slow release (a.k.a. time release fertilizer).
Normally I mix in Osmocote; however for my peppers and eggplants, this fertilizer is too much for them...I get huge plants and no fruit.

I want to mix in a granular time-release fertilizer, but will this work with a container gardening mix?

The two I've found are dynamite (which is balanced and it's for veggies and flowers) and Tomato Tone. Are these time/slow release? Would they work for container gardening? Could I just mix them directly into the soil when I make my mix?

Below are links of what the fertilizers I'm considering using look like...

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/dy...Fa5DMgodRyIACA

http://www.amleo.com/product.aspx?p=...Fe87MgodVxgA-w

I would prefer not to do surface fertilizing; I would prefer to just mix the fertilizer into the soil when I mix it...it will just make things simpler and easier.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Your recipe doesn't call for any lime? It's strange to see a mix made with acidic components like peat moss and bark to not call for lime to balance the PH and supply a long term source of calcium. If the PH of the mix is way out of wack it can greatly effect the uptake of various nutrients.

Dynamite looks like an equivalent to Osmocote except I see Osmocote contains calcium phosphate. Both are polymer coated synthetic fertilizers. I don't use either one but I would say mixing it into the soil would be best.

Espoma Tomato-Tone is an organic fertilizer, I have been using the Espoma Tones myself in containers and in-ground and yes it is better to mix it into the soil. If possible mix it into the soil a month or so ahead of time and keep the mix moist to give the microbes time to mineralize some of the nutrients so that they are available to the plant when you transplant your tomatoes, peppers and eggplants.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2014   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would mix the potting mix without fertilizer and then if planning to use a granular slow release fertilizer I would fertilize each pot individually based on what you are planting when you transplant your plants into them. that way you can individualize the "dose" depending on the needs of the plant. I think I would be difficult to reliably mix the fertilizer by hand so that it is evenly distributed throughout your custom mix.
Miracle grow makes a granular slow release organic fertilizer that I like.
have you considered less bark and perhaps some compost or composted manure.in your mix? It seems to me That's a lot of bark which neither will hold water nor provide any nutrient value until it decomposes (in a year or two)
just a thought.
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; April 17, 2014 at 12:45 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote