Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 27, 2015   #1
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default I haven't seen this before

t I'm sure others have, just curious what it is and what causes it.

20150326_221711_hdr-resized-960.jpg

20150326_221737_hdr-resized-960.jpg

At first I though maybe albino? But I couldn't find albino pepper pics on google. These are Jalapenos. Thanks!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Isn't that interesting?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

That is weird that only a few have cots that are lacking chlorophyll.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2015   #4
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have one of those in my seed tray, too. And nope! I have never seen it before.
Old March 27, 2015   #5
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

It spreading then, I was afraid of this. Zombie peppers are trying to take over the world. Get the nukes primed and meet me at the bunker
Old March 29, 2015   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Nobody has had this happen? Just curious if these will survive or not.
Old March 29, 2015   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

What came to my mind (out of the blue) (or maybe just out of my mind) was the possibility that it may be something amiss with the DNA in the seed. Perhaps the seeds were saved from a hybrid or "not fully stabilized" new variety. Also, it could be evidence of a cross pollination of the parent seed source. A few decades ago, I remember having some tomato seedlings that showed similar traits. Never did figure it out. I just plucked the odd ones out and planted the normal ones.

In the top right of your first picture, the seedlings there suggested fertilizer burn. But it's hard to tell if what I'm seeing there is distorted by the light angle.

It would be helpful if you could tell us the origin of the seeds you planted.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Last edited by ContainerTed; March 29, 2015 at 10:46 AM.
ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

The seeds are from my own TAM jalapenos that I grew last year. The only other peppers near them were a single Big sun which didn't bloom till very late in the season and all seeds were saved from the peppers before the big sun started blooming. I doubt they have crossed with anything but it is always a possibility.
Old March 29, 2015   #9
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I grew that one two years ago. My seeds came from a Ferry Morse packet. I loved the taste and low heat level. I also saved seed. Maybe I'll throw a few into the mix and see what happens. I don't remember having the "No-Chlorophyll" effect, but then, I wouldn't have thought anything wrong. I usually expect some seed failures (for various reasons), and, as I said above, would have plucked the "offender" out and moved on with the rest.

When you do your potting up, take a couple and see what they do. You never know. You may have discovered a "Sport" that will lead to "White Jalapenos".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #10
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Oh yes I will definitely grow them out to see what happens, but from what I can gather from online info if it is a mutation where it can't produce chlorophyll it will die as soon as the cotyledons are used up.
Old March 30, 2015   #11
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

I have one yellow tomato seedling. After two weeks the cotyledons are mostly green, the true leaves look green. It was the only Rosella Purple seed I started. Keeping it too, to see what happens.
gvozdika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Just to update those seedlings died. They never made true leaves.
Old May 9, 2015   #13
gvozdika
Tomatovillian™

Here is my survivor, Rosella Purple seedling.
Attached Images
File Type: png RosellaPurple_YellowCotyledons.png (176.3 KB, 117 views)
Old May 9, 2015   #14
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Wow looks great!
Old May 10, 2015   #15
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Not often that you get to see an albino seedling, but they fun to see and watch. The thing is if you can keep an albino growing, you can just about write your own ticket as far as breeding of colors goes.

Been a couple years back when I was seeing some albinos and had started doing some research on albino seedlings. I was looking for different ways to try and keep the seedlings alive, to try and get them to at least having one flower to pollinate with.

Here some odd notes of research I had wrote down. You might, when you get a chance, do a bit more studying, especially if you get any more of them.

It would be kinda tricky, but I definitely would try and graft any of them you get.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2439272 Genetic History and General Comparisons of Twp Albino Mutations of Helianthus Annuas by Raymond H. Wallace and Helen m. Haberman

"immutans seeds exposed to low light (5 umol m-2 s-1) between 48 and 72 h after plating developed green or variegated cotyledons, while seeds exposed to high light (100 umol m-2 s-1) during the same time period predominantly developed all-white cotyledons."
From: The Plant Journal 6(2):161-175, 1994; the full paper is freely available online.

Research on tomato plants has shown that if a 10% sucrose solution is sprayed on their leaves it is absorbed and used to grow. Such solutions probably need a little fungicide to reduce moulds, etc. The researchers used sulfanilamide (but that was in 1948 and other products would be better nowadays). [Growth Response of Tomato Plants to Applied Sucrose, F. W. Went and Marcella Carter American Journal of Botany 35:95-106 1948]

"PROPAGATION OF ALBINO MUTANTS
Neither of these mutants is capable of independent existence beyond the capacity of the stored food in the cotyledons. Without special provisions for an outside carbohydrate source, mutant seedlings form 1 or 2 pairs of leaves but live for only 2-3 wk. until death is caused by exhaustion of food reserves. We have found that the most convenient method of feeding is to graft young seedlings (1-3 days after germination) on to well-established green host plants. These grafting procedures have been described in detail elsewhere (Habermann and Wallace, 1958). Grafted albino mutants have been grown to maturity and both forms have set viable seeds."

http://www.jstor.org/pss/2439184 transfer of Flowering Stimulus from stock to scion in the grafted Helianthus annuus L.

Sorry about the big text. Can't figure out how to make it smaller on here.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote