Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 29, 2015   #1
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Default question about fish carcass

I froze a bag of perch I caught ice fishing and was wondering how to use it in my beds. My garden soil does not need much amendments and I ususally add couple shovel fulls of miracle grow for each plant. Was thinking of thawing the carcasses (about 12 fish carcasses) in a 5 gallon bucket and using a sledge hammer to mush them than a drill spackle mixer tobreak it into a soup mix with some water. I am not concerned about critters this time of season ,, (way to early to plant) I and not tilling my beds and think the worms will benefit by pouring this fish into shallow rows using a flat pick and back filling it. The grade of my bed is slightly downhill so the fish nutrients should soak in down well enough before planting (which won't be until mid May) does this sound like a good plan? any suggestions appreciated

Last edited by FISHBONE; March 29, 2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: edit add
FISHBONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #2
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Burying it fairly deep would be my first choice. Since that isn't an option, making chum is a good 2nd.
Are you going to plant right over the top of it?
I think it might still be a critter magnet in May though.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #3
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

I just bury mine in the garden , very seldom do I have any critter problems
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #4
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

Here is a post on this

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=20766
Old March 29, 2015   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

I would make the trench no shallower than a foot deep. Plants should be fine with this even if planted on top and even if it hasn't been warm enough to break down before you plant. A foot deep is also enough to keep rain or snow or other weather from exposing any of it. You could mound the soil a bit over the top to keep it from sinking down and making a hollow.

If you decide to put it shallower than a foot deep, I would recommend digging it into the soil with a fork before you cover.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #6
lerie1
Tomatovillian™

Default fish

I have eliminated animals digging up the walley carcass I add to each hole by covering them with at least 16" of dirt. The trick is after the first shovelful is added, stab the shovel thru both the soil and guts six or seven times to mix them together then add 3" of dirt and pack it down -I use my foot - then finish filling the hole. The mixing is the most important part.
My neighbor adds a cup of wood ashes on top of the fish before the first shovelful goes on but the process after that remains the same.
lerie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2015   #7
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Burying it fairly deep would be my first choice. Since that isn't an option, making chum is a good 2nd.
Are you going to plant right over the top of it?
I know buried fish is a critter magnet from previous experience burying them whole but always did this a good month before planting which will likely be third week this May and yes they dig them out right where they were so...
I did last year around this time about a foot deep or less.. my beds are like miracle grow and easy for the skunks sniff to dig them up..and that is what they do so, I'm thinking a chum this time and doing it way ahead of planting which would likely be third week of May this year. I figure it is still better than throwing the fish out in the garbage. I would use a meat grinder but don't have one so, i'll make chum in a bucket using what I stated which should work well enough.
Old March 29, 2015   #8
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rags57078 View Post
thanks read it all, think my idea will work ,, going the chum way and digging a few rows next above where i have last years florida weave stakes, i have some wood ash I can lightly top too before back filling. Also will secure my wire fenced in garden to keep out most any critters.
Old April 3, 2015   #9
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

critters came anyway.. i tried .. i blended the perch and crappie carcasses after filleting for deep fry so , i froze during ice fishing season and thawed them in a 5gal bucket and mixed it real good with few gallons of water. dug foot deep holes and poured each hole.. back filled being careful not to use the same shovel used to scoop the fish.. buried.. critter tried to get in am hrs ..but i stapled the fencing good so none got in to dig. I know this cause my sister said she heard them in the yard early am hrs. But that is done,,won't be planting till a month and a half. worms should go to work by that time.
Old April 3, 2015   #10
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

What if you just put it in the compost pile, if the compost were already kicked off and hot? Seems like there would onlynbe a short window of time that it would attract critters, and at least they wouldnt be digging up plants.?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #11
FISHBONE
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
What if you just put it in the compost pile, if the compost were already kicked off and hot? Seems like there would onlynbe a short window of time that it would attract critters, and at least they wouldnt be digging up plants.?
I would think the critters would eat the heads skin bone etc. that is why i buried the fish. I only had about 2 to 3 lbs of fish less half five gallon bucket.. i won't do this anymore.. my sister doesn't want our pet dog chasing critters when she lets her in the yard off leash. think i'll just stick with few shovels of mg garden mix and tomato fertilizer (few teaspoons with a gallon ) my beds are pretty fertile as is. I am confident my bed soil is ready even without the fish
Old April 3, 2015   #12
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHBONE View Post
I would think the critters would eat the heads skin bone etc. that is why i buried the fish. I only had about 2 to 3 lbs of fish less half five gallon bucket.. i won't do this anymore.. my sister doesn't want our pet dog chasing critters when she lets her in the yard off leash. think i'll just stick with few shovels of mg garden mix and tomato fertilizer (few teaspoons with a gallon ) my beds are pretty fertile as is. I am confident my bed soil is ready even without the fish
There is always the bass-o-matic way to liquify everything so there is nothing left for critters to carry off.

https://youtu.be/0BQFv83QJ2Y
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #13
bower
Tomatovillian™

A couple more critter tricks for future reference:

1) I try to bury my fishies just before a rain - to wash away any traces that can be smelled.

2) I put big rocks over the place where fish are buried, to discourage digging them up. I have still had them dug up a few times by foxes, but most of the time it works. The heavier the rocks, the better.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #14
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Bower, would you know how long it takes fish bones to degrade? I would have guts, heads and backbone spines to dig in, but am afraid that the harder parts might still be in the soil to stab my hands the next year. I use my fingers and hand trowels more than shovels when I'm working in my raised beds.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2015   #15
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

Depends on the size of the fish , small fish small bones