Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 11, 2015   #526
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'm not looking for any vegetable variety at the moment, but there are some I would like to send. Perhaps they'll go to the 'extras' ...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #527
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Someone has generously placed an order for 1,000 SunGold seeds for the swap! Any of you participants interested in some?
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #528
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes! I'll be saving space in the garden OR 5 gallon bucket just to try these. Thank you very much to the person who ordered Sungold and also to Tormato for his undying devotion to the Swap and TVille.
guruofgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #529
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Someone has generously placed an order for 1,000 SunGold seeds for the swap! Any of you participants interested in some?
Im interested for sure.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #530
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Me three!
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #531
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Me 4
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #532
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

I would love sungold also and would be happy to contribute to the person who ordered. Doesnt look like I will be needing many varieties as I have plenty to choose from as I participated last year. Thanks Tormato. Have plenty seeds to send in though.
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #533
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sungold would be a wonderful addition to the swap. I know there are a lot of people who have not grown them yet.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #534
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I want to be a part this year too!
Old August 12, 2015   #535
bluee19
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
How wonderful for that person to share! Can you tell that person, THANK YOU!!! Yes, I would like a few seeds.

Thanks Mr. Tormato!! You are AWESOME
Old August 12, 2015   #536
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I would like to try Sungold as I have never tasted it yet.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #537
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

This person remembers the time when they could not afford to buy a lot of seed, so is also thanking us for sharing in the past.

The "rule" (as most who've been in the swap before know, there are no set rules) will be that anyone on a tight budget will get SunGold for free. My suggestion for others is a 1 dollar donation, all collections to be sent back to the donor. This will likely be for about 15 seeds, if there are approximately 100 swap participants, 2/3 of them would like SunGold, and they all would like ~15 seeds. But, there's no way of telling the demand at this point

Another suggestion is to maybe start on your paperwork for the swap. Most of you will likely be using a bubble mailer. For some out of country participants, I may use greeting cards and Forever Global stamps. But, that's details for another post.

On your paperwork, at the top please PRINT CLEARLY your mailing address, your Tomatoville username (for Private Mail use if it becomes necessary), and an email address (only if you think it will become necessary).

If requesting SunGold, please state how many seeds you'd like. If you only need about 5-7 seeds (SunGold generally has close to 100% germination) it means more participants can get seeds.

When I start the 2015 swap thread, I'll get to wish lists, send in lists, bonus non-tomato/peppers lists, etc...

Gary
Old August 12, 2015   #538
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I want to get some seeds ready to send in for the swap. Can you PM me the guidelines or post em here? Seems like it was 100 seed minimum? Thanks!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #539
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Guidelines can be a bit confusing for first timers. I'll be going through old posts, and likely making a few minor changes from past years. This will be posted in the new thread, which should be started in early September.

In general, there are two major parts to the swap.

The first is wish lists. Participants will be either posting their wish lists, or PMing, or emailing me their tomato (and limited pepper) wish lists. For now, it will be ~15 tomato and ~3 to 5 pepper varieties. I'll be compiling all wish lists (in alphabetical order) and posting updates. If a participant sees that they have that variety, they send in one pack (~5-10 seeds in a pack) of that variety. Some varieties have multiple requests, so there will be a number after the listed variety to show how many have requested it. An example...

KBX (7)

This means 7 people have requested it, so hopefully 7 packs come in.

The second part of the swap is the mystery categories. For this, 10 packs (5-10 seeds each pack) are "required". I say required because sometimes if someone doesn't have the 50-100 seeds for a category, someone else steps in and sponsors them. My guess, at this point, is that I'll be sponsoring "Heart" and "Very Early" categories. The 10 packs of a variety must match the category you'd like to join, although some varieties can be entered in multiple categories. An example...the above KBX can be entered in the "Beefsteak" category, or the "Yellow/Gold/Orange/White/Bi-Color" category. Whichever category is chosen, you get back ~10 different varieties that match that category. You won't know what they are until you receive then, thus the mystery. You may join as many categories as you like. But joining the same category many times can make it difficult. If one joined the "Cherry" category 8 times (sending in 10 packs each of 8 different cherry varieties) it may be difficult to send back 80 different cherry varieties.

There's no rush for me to get seeds. So, I'll be taking the next couple of weeks to work on posting what will be in the new thread.
Old August 12, 2015   #540
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I want to get some seeds ready to send in for the swap. Can you PM me the guidelines or post em here? Seems like it was 100 seed minimum? Thanks!
So, to sum up your question, 5 seed minimum (one pack) if you have a variety on someone's wish list, and 50 seed minimum (10 packs of 5 seeds each) for joining a category.

Gary