Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 8, 2017   #91
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think so. I haven't made my final list. Should I use your or Dutch's seeds?
you can have fresh seed from this year if you want it, I will save seeds from mine and I know Darin is certainly saving lots. Just let me know.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #92
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
you can have fresh seed from this year if you want it, I will save seeds from mine and I know Darin is certainly saving lots. Just let me know.
KO
Do you think you will have some in time to send down with The KARMAS?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #93
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

yes most likely I will. I shall do so
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #94
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Fruit yield from #2 DLH plant thus far:

Total fruit removed: 17
Largest fruit: 1.92 lbs
Average weight: approx. 1 lb
Fruit remaining on plant: 22
Total weight harvested: 12.5 lbs

Notes: The largest tomatoes were found in the middle of the plant, at about 5 feet in height, which caused the 10 ft. plant to collapse to one side. Now that I have removed most of the weight, the plant is less top-heavy and I can correct the alignment with another 8 foot stake. Disease resistance looks good so far- there is some yellowing of older leaves, but it looks pretty stable thru mid-July.

I have 1 growing this in Belgium (heart shape confirmed), and one in Beirut, Lebanon (heart shape confirmed). Samir is growing a DLH next to the popular Lebanese tomato Majdel Maouch (which is quite possibly the seeds provided to Carolyn by Omar Saab). I hope to have pictures soon to compare the varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH 7-13-17.JPG (137.5 KB, 113 views)
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2017   #95
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Ripe DLH meal shared by my coworker Cathy- excellent flavor!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DLH Lunch Cathy 7-13-17.jpg (147.8 KB, 113 views)
Old July 14, 2017   #96
imp
Tomatovillian™

That's right, torment an old lady like that! Shameless wretch!

I gave in and bought 2 "heirloom" tomatoes, desperate for a good BLT, a black tomato and a lovely deep yellow one, both beefsteak types. They smelled good, hefted nicely for the size, pretty, too.

Fried up the bacon, pulled the lettuce, sliced into those tomatoes for a couple slices each, toasted the bread and had some Duke's mayo slathered on the bread just so. My mouth was watering, my tummy growling as I got myself settled to enjoy the bliss of a wonderful BLT!

My first bite after admiring the layers of delightful colors and textures - Oh Horrors! Dread! Foul impersonator of tomatoes!

I balefully glared at my once sought after delight. Thinking some how, maybe the tomatoes would be better in the second bite...

No!

Heart break.

I picked those remaining fake tomatoes off the sandwich and with ill grace and sulkily, consumed what was sooooo not what I had hoped for, but just a bacon and lettuce sandwich, not lifted to mouth watering glory by the sublime textures and tastes of beautiful tomatoes.

I shall wait, impatiently yes, for my tomatoes to produce. I have been ruined by fresh garden tomatoes and there is no cure, <sigh>, no substitute acceptable.

(Drama Queen much anyone?!! LOL)
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #97
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Are you talking about smell cut, or from outside? Because I found that cut smell pretty much tells you how it will taste.
Smell from outside is a bit more tricky. If freshly picked, the hairs on the skin will release smell when broken off, and the smell is sort of like tomato leaves. There is usually a smell behind it as well, especially if fully ripe, but is very discreet to none at all, if it's slightly fruity than it will be a good taste, if it's kinda grassy it's gonna be bad.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #98
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Oh, the Agony!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

I gave in and bought 2 "heirloom" tomatoes, desperate for a good BLT, a black tomato and a lovely deep yellow one, both beefsteak types. They smelled good, hefted nicely for the size, pretty, too.

Fried up the bacon, pulled the lettuce, sliced into those tomatoes for a couple slices each, toasted the bread and had some Duke's mayo slathered on the bread just so. My mouth was watering, my tummy growling as I got myself settled to enjoy the bliss of a wonderful BLT!

My first bite after admiring the layers of delightful colors and textures - Oh Horrors! Dread! Foul impersonator of tomatoes!

I balefully glared at my once sought after delight. Thinking some how, maybe the tomatoes would be better in the second bite...

No!

Heart break.

I picked those remaining fake tomatoes off the sandwich and with ill grace and sulkily, consumed what was sooooo not what I had hoped for, but just a bacon and lettuce sandwich, not lifted to mouth watering glory by the sublime textures and tastes of beautiful tomatoes.

I shall wait, impatiently yes, for my tomatoes to produce. I have been ruined by fresh garden tomatoes and there is no cure, <sigh>, no substitute acceptable.

Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #99
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Darin, you're making me jealous, too. When hit with Septoria, all the tiny greenies on my DLH aborted. The plant is doing much better after a spraying regimen, and there are plenty of flowers, but no new fruit yet. I'm sure I'll get some, but my DTM's will be way off.

Your harvest looks great, and I'm really looking forward to pulling one of those big beauties off of my plant.

Nan
Old July 14, 2017   #100
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post
Darin, you're making me jealous, too. When hit with Septoria, all the tiny greenies on my DLH aborted. The plant is doing much better after a spraying regimen, and there are plenty of flowers, but no new fruit yet. I'm sure I'll get some, but my DTM's will be way off.

Your harvest looks great, and I'm really looking forward to pulling one of those big beauties off of my plant.

Nan
When you say aborted, do you mean dropped off the plant? Because one thing I noticed about these is that I had virtually no blossom drop, and all of the buds remained dormant for about a week. Then all of a sudden, all began swelling at the same time. Usually on plants, the first trusses will start swelling pretty much immediately after pollination, and the upper trusses follow sequentially. Not so with these. One day I had no fruit, the next I had 15. Very strange!!

Thanks!
Old July 14, 2017   #101
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
When you say aborted, do you mean dropped off the plant? Because one thing I noticed about these is that I had virtually no blossom drop, and all of the buds remained dormant for about a week. Then all of a sudden, all began swelling at the same time. Usually on plants, the first trusses will start swelling pretty much immediately after pollination, and the upper trusses follow sequentially. Not so with these. One day I had no fruit, the next I had 15. Very strange!!

Thanks!
Darin, I saw small (marble) green fruit about 3' up on the plant. Then came the septoria, the spraying, and more incessant rain, and now there is no fruit on the plant. The lowest flowers now are about 4 feet up, should fall off soon, so we'll see if new fruit appears. That sudden appearance of fruit you speak of is encouraging. I'll be looking for it!

Nan
Old July 14, 2017   #102
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post

No!

Heart break.

Imp- you had me seriously cracking up!! I'm sorry for being such a tease! I'm sure that soon, you'll have me drooling over my keyboard as I sweep up blight-ridden tomato detritus from barren, sun-baked plants..
Old July 15, 2017   #103
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

(I have 1 growing this in Belgium (heart shape confirmed), and one in Beirut, Lebanon (heart shape confirmed). Samir is growing a DLH next to the popular Lebanese tomato Majdel Maouch (which is quite possibly the seeds provided to Carolyn by Omar Saab). I hope to have pictures soon to compare the varieties.)

Darin,there are a few things I can post here publicly for you.

First

http://www.delectationoftomatoes.com...eds+per+packet

Yes, Reinhard was the first to list it,he doesn't sell seeds or didn't then,but we traded seeds back and forth for many years so my seeds were from him.

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom..._montagnes.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebanese_Arabic

Please read just the first part on which languages are spoken and understood in Lebanon.

You said that Samir would come to tville to tell the TRUE story about what Omar said about the hill towns who said it was just called Big Pink.He didn't.

Please ask Samir to express Big Pink in French and also translate Majdel Maouch, , in both English and French. And also confirm that the Lebanese name for tomato is Bandura. Yes I have been spending time doing translation checks here and there.

Thanks in advance and please post his answers here in this thread.

My 2017 SSE Yearbook was very late in reaching me and doesn't have the chain of folks through which seeds were passed,sadly, since it's the first Yearbook EVER where they deleted the information.so I had to go to my 2016 Yearbook to determine that.

Those who listed Libanaise des Montagnes were

Nancy in NYS, seeds from me (from Reinhard),says enormous 2-3#pink fruits

Que AN N from Canada says indet, RL, pink beef, 2-3 #,excellent taste.

Just as a reminder

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Omar%27s_Lebanese

The above is far from what I want to share with you but I will do that privately.

Carolyn
Old July 15, 2017   #104
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn- thanks for those links! Indeed, Omar's Lebanese could be one of any number of large pink varieties from Lebanon. Samir just mentioned that there is one very large variety grown all over Lebanon and is most popular- called "Majdel Maouch"- so I just stated that the odds are good that OL and MM are one and the same. It will be interesting to see what the heritage is for sure. He was here in the US just this past week, and he told me that his family grew one MM tomato that was over 2 kg!

I have sent Samir a message asking him to try again to register with Tomatoville- his previous issue was that T'ville had no clickable option on the question regarding whether he was a robot. I told him that he will likely need to contact Mischka directly using the Contact Us tab at the bottom. I will certainly keep you updated on the translation requests you have.
Old July 15, 2017   #105
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanburg123 View Post
Carolyn- thanks for those links! Indeed, Omar's Lebanese could be one of any number of large pink varieties from Lebanon. Samir just mentioned that there is one very large variety grown all over Lebanon and is most popular- called "Majdel Maouch"- so I just stated that the odds are good that OL and MM are one and the same. It will be interesting to see what the heritage is for sure. He was here in the US just this past week, and he told me that his family grew one MM tomato that was over 2 kg!

I have sent Samir a message asking him to try again to register with Tomatoville- his previous issue was that T'ville had no clickable option on the question regarding whether he was a robot. I told him that he will likely need to contact Mischka directly using the Contact Us tab at the bottom. I will certainly keep you updated on the translation requests you have.
If you look at Town Hall you'll see that Michka has not been approving any new registrations. I currently have 3 who have contacted me,one says he's waited a month,another said he tried to e-mail Town Hall,no can do.

Another one is a long time friend who was based in MA, same state as Mischka, I asked M to let him in, fabulous website called Grow Italian,but he retired to FL and I bumped into him at the old Garden Web, now Houzz,he was so surprised I found him,but then said he would go thru the normal registration process,and gave me his new user name. Nothing yet at all.

One of the persons above said he got a notice saying no new registrations would be allowed, time span not given, but I do think that was after Tville was hacked twice and shut down. I haven't even seen M online until yesterday,so I have to e-mail him myself since I said I would get back to each of the above when I hear back from M..

Just giving you heads up on possible problems with Samir register,or trying to do so.

Carolyn, so MM grown all over Lebanon,not just or at all in the hill towns.Makes a huge difference as you know.