Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating herbs.

Old September 26, 2019   #1
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Default What's a good source for a wide variety of herb seeds?

I'm very happy with my SeedsNow order for veggie and herb seeds so far. I got some less common things like salad burnet and chervil. I'd really like to try growing more varieties of thyme etc too. I'm finding some items on Amazon that look promising and then the reviews indicate they don't grow true to the variety, or it takes eons to get there (probably a supplier in China?)

What's your favorite online/mail order source for herb seeds, and maybe starts?

Thanks,

Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2019   #2
LDiane

Richters are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. https://www.richters.com. They will sell to Canadian and U.S. customers.
They sell all manner of herb seeds and plants, culinary, medicinal and aromatic. Plus the Seed
Zoo which sells rare vegetable seeds collected around the world.
Old September 26, 2019   #3
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
Richters are in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. https://www.richters.com. They will sell to Canadian and U.S. customers.
They sell all manner of herb seeds and plants, culinary, medicinal and aromatic. Plus the Seed Zoo which sells rare vegetable seeds collected around the world.
Wow, that's a great list of herbs! Thanks.

I wonder what kind of issues there are these days with ordering actual plants from across the US-CAN border. I got seeds from an Etsy seller in Canada, took about two weeks.
Old September 26, 2019   #4
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Agree, Definitely Richter's
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2019   #5
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Agree, Definitely Richter's
KarenO

Thanks, Karen. Their listings are impressive indeed! That said, many of the things I'm interested in are sold out in the form of plug packs. I'm going to reach out and see if there will be any more availability or whether it's the off-season for them.

Top of list, wild thyme and one or more of the lemon varieties. Then all those basils! Those I feel I could more easily start from seed. What a wish-list!

Ann
Old September 28, 2019   #6
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyscarnival View Post
Thanks, Karen. Their listings are impressive indeed! That said, many of the things I'm interested in are sold out in the form of plug packs. I'm going to reach out and see if there will be any more availability or whether it's the off-season for them.

Top of list, wild thyme and one or more of the lemon varieties. Then all those basils! Those I feel I could more easily start from seed. What a wish-list!

Ann
I think finding live plants at this time of year will be a challenge
KI
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2019   #7
zendog
Tomatovillian™

Richter's sounds great.

Another option for the inexpensive packs of seeds like seeds now is Remy's sampleseeds.com . She has a pretty wide ranging list of seeds if you are willing to start your herbs from seed.
zendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2019   #8
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by zendog View Post
Richter's sounds great.

Another option for the inexpensive packs of seeds like seeds now is Remy's sampleseeds.com . She has a pretty wide ranging list of seeds if you are willing to start your herbs from seed.

Thanks! I'll check it out!

I actually found a seller on Etsy who happens to live in nearby Sanford so I bought some seeds from him. Then somehow after it shipped I realized I'd managed to omit the reason I found hi (creeping thyme) so I placed another small order. Will see how that goes. I don't have a problem starting from seed (other than patience) but on some of the Richters items, seeds weren't available either.
Old October 3, 2019   #9
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Couple years ago, I tried ordering from Richter’s and they refunded my money because they didn’t ship to USA .
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2019   #10
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper2008 View Post
Couple years ago, I tried ordering from Richter’s and they refunded my money because they didn’t ship to USA .
That's interesting! Were you ordering live plants or seeds? Their web site says they sell and ship to USA and worldwide, while live plants are only shipped within North America. Granted, border/trade relations between Canada and the USA have been changing.

https://www.richters.com/show.cgi?page=ordrinfo.html