Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old October 23, 2010   #1
tedln

Default Seed Starting Mix!

I've seen "Pro Mix" mentioned a lot as a good seed starting mix. I've asked for it at a number of garden related stores and no one seems to know what it is. I'm not sure when I ask for it if "Pro Mix" is a brand name or a generic type of mix.

I used to be able to buy a granulated mix with pearlite or some other moisture retaining substance like vermiculite in it. It seems every bag of potting or seed starting mix I open today is fibrous consisting of peat moss or coconut coir. Did they discontinue the granulated mix for retail sales? I still find it if my wife buys potted plants like Boston Ferns or almost anything else because thats what they pot up with.

Ted
Old October 24, 2010   #2
ireilly
Tomatovillian™

Ted, some nurseries here in the DFW area carry Sunshine Plug Mix #5. I was told by one that Sunshine products are used by many commercial greenhouses. Not sure if that is true but it is a good product, although pricey. It has Canadian sphagnum peat moss, fine perlite, dolomitic limestone and a small amount of nitrogen to promote germination.

I don't work for them or sell their products, as a disclaimer.
ireilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2010   #3
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

afaik, most people i see who grow hot peppers use pro mix, it's a specific brand. (on another forum).

what's usually good for peppers, is usually good for it's cousins like maters and eggplants.

HTH.
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Ted, the only mixes I would ever use for starting seeds as well as growing on are Pro-Mix, which comes in several different forms from bagged to compressed large blocks, as well as Fafard and yes, Jiffy Mix.

Some claimed that the Jiffy Mix formula was changed a few years ago but I can't speak to that b'c since I fell I haven't been starting my own plants.

But when it came time to have Freda fill the Gro bags in the back yard here I asked some folks I know well what they'd use and the rec was Pro-Mix and bagged composted cow manure, in a 1:1 ration, which I did. I mean I ordered it, it was delivered and I paid the bill and Freda did the work.
Old October 24, 2010   #5
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Here is a comparison chart for many of the different ProMix products:

eProCompChart.pdf (application/pdf Object)
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25, 2010   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I used the Jiffy seed starting mix again this fall for everything. It is the only one I can buy locally that has that fine granular texture you spoke of. The biggest problem I ran into was getting it wet. Someone posted on another thread to pour hot water into the bag and it worked great. I have had great germination and all my fall plants look good so far. If I can get it I will be using it again next year.
I think that the Ferry Morse seed starter mix is the same as the Jiffy mix; it looks and performs the same.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2010   #7
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

hi tedin,

hi tedlin,

i have used pro mix, sun gro sunshine #4 mix, attiami
pro mix,botanicare air and moisture mix,foxfarm seed
starting mix,they are all top mixes the one i prefer is
sun gro #4 mix.

les
les matzek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2010   #8
tedln

Les,

Hi to you!

Are all the mixes you mentioned granular or are some of them fibrous like peat moss?

Ted
Old October 26, 2010   #9
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

hi tedln,
all of the mixes are sixty to seventy percent peat moss
the rest being perlite they seem to hold the right amount of nutes and the drain very fast.
i had my best year this year growing both in my magatainers (self watering) and my container plants

you should have good luck with any of the above mixes,good luck take care.

les
Old October 26, 2010   #10
tedln

Thanks Les! Good information.

Ted
Old October 27, 2010   #11
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

I use Ferti-lome Ultimate both for germination and when repotting. I just tried some refill sponges that fit in a 60-cell Biodome (I used a Speedling styrofoam seed tray as so far 19 of 20 seeds have germinated. I will try to grow these to the "selling" stage to see how they do. If they do well, I'll be able to grow 200 seedlings in about the same space a 1020 nursery flat takes up.

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2010   #12
les matzek
Tomatovillian™

hi ted,
you may like the bio-sponges the will give you close to 100 percent germination rate they hold just the right
amount of air and water.
but i doubt you should be able to grow them in the
bio-sponges untill potting up time because of the size
of the root ball.
if you use bio-sponges i would suggest that after the
first true leaves appear and they are about 3 to 4 inches tall pott them up to 4 inch cord pots you can
grow them there till you plant them in there final
home,park seed sells self watering units and you can
buy roots organic bio-sponges at hydrophonic stores
good luck and regards.

les
Old October 27, 2010   #13
wordwiz
Tomatovillian™

Les,

I'm Mike, not Ted but thanks for the info. That's why I want to wait and see. I've seen tobacco plants growing in the Speedling tray that get 8-12" tall before transplanting. Yeah, there in nothing but root in the cell, but they transplant fantastically.

Next year, I may need (hoping so, anyway) to grow about 3,000 plants so anything I can do to negate the need to pot up will save me lots of time.

Mike
wordwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #14
cleo88
Tomatovillian™

Ted,
Not sure if anyone answered part of your question, which seemed to be, "where can I get this stuff?".

I believe you can get it on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Premier-Hortic.../dp/B000BZ4RQC

Someone correct me if this is not the right stuff.
cleo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2010   #15
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Find it locally...shipping will kill you on something like this!
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote