Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 29, 2016   #1
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Default Few advises needed

Good morning, fellow tomatovillians

I can't wait to start my seeds for my second noob season. I was overwhelmed with my cherry tomatoes last year, hope to get even better results in 2017.

Plan is to correct some errors from last season like too close planting, garden protection from creature with sinister name "rabbit", to improve watering... And of course to plant my tomatoes earlier than last year for sure.

Today I am going to look for some material for my cold frame.

I would need few advises however. I would try few approaches in seed germination, still experimenting. Plan is to try 2 seed per container cell and to try dense planting in container cells like on Craig video's. I liked that indeed.
Maybe will try few small pots in my room windowsill to see how that will go.

What would I like to know when seedlings grow enough to be transplanted in pots, what size of pots do you use for single seedling? I don't want to transplant them in bigger pot after this initial transplant, they will go straight to garden.

Serbia is in Europe 7b zone, so my plan is to transplant in garden in the second half of April.
I have few indeterminate hybrid varieties in mind, maybe few plants of cherry, but thinking to try some nice heirloom varieties so I can at end of season preserve seeds.

Do you have any advises what variety should be doing well in my zone? Possibly some that would be easy to grow for beginner gardener and not hard to obtain. Red color for now, not yellow or black.
Not sure where to buy heirloom seeds, in shop where I buy materials only hybrids.

Thanks in advance, God bless
javafxnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Good morning, I'll give my opinions, hopefully they offer some help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafxnoob View Post
I would need few advises however. I would try few approaches in seed germination, still experimenting. Plan is to try 2 seed per container cell and to try dense planting in container cells like on Craig video's. I liked that indeed.
Maybe will try few small pots in my room windowsill to see how that will go.

What would I like to know when seedlings grow enough to be transplanted in pots, what size of pots do you use for single seedling? I don't want to transplant them in bigger pot after this initial transplant, they will go straight to garden.
I too use the dense planting method. Are you planning on growing 1 or 2 plants of each variety? If you're looking to grow 1 plant I usually start 3 seeds, 2 plants I usually do 5 seeds. Germination will not always be 100%. You can always thin with a pair of scissors.

I pot up after the plants get their first set of true leaves into 4" square plastic containers--they will spend 4-5 weeks in those containers before getting planted out. That allows good development, if you're needing to go longer than 5 weeks I'd consider a slightly larger plants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javafxnoob View Post
Serbia is in Europe 7b zone, so my plan is to transplant in garden in the second half of April.

Do you have any advises what variety should be doing well in my zone? Possibly some that would be easy to grow for beginner gardener and not hard to obtain. Red color for now, not yellow or black.
Not sure where to buy heirloom seeds, in shop where I buy materials only hybrids.
I really can't help so much with this question--especially of where to buy seeds in your part of the world, although I'm sure there are online places you could find. Although one tomato specifically comes to mind since it originates from near your part of the world--Crnkovic Yugoslavian. It is an heirloom with a very good reputation and I will be growing it for the first time in 2017 myself.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #3
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for reply jmsieglaff,

So far, my plans are 4-5 varieties because limited space. I think that will be total of 40-45 plants in best case scenario, 25-30 in worst case. Thinking of put few plants in containers too, 2-5 I think.

I was thinking to start seed in 2 rounds.

First round, around 20. January and if they germinate around 1. February to put them in cold frame. After that 6 weeks, so about 15. April to transplant in garden.
Second round, start seed about 1. February and transplant in garden last week of April or start of May.

Your pot-based advise will be followed. Thank you very much.

Most of plants will be Novosadski jabucar and Volovsko srce. They have them in shop, but I don't think it is a heirloom version. If I reading declaration well.
I am thinking to plant few Cherry Belle variety that is my first and only so far tomato I was growing. I like those small fruits.

I am still waiting from a friend from neighboring village to donate seed for my small plantation as he promised. Not sure if even he knows name of variety so I will name it after I see how fruit looks.

Your advise to look for online sources was helpful, thanks for that. I was worried how high will transport fee be, assumed there is no heirloom seed offers in my country. And, as usual, assumption is mother of all mistakes. Fortunately, I found one site, so for this year about an hour ago ordered Black Krim from them, hope it will be a good yield from it and provide me seed for next year.

Good luck with your Crnkovic variety, I hope you will have much tasty fruits on your table.

God bless you

Last edited by javafxnoob; December 30, 2016 at 08:24 AM.
Old December 30, 2016   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

I also pot my seedlings into 4" pots and let them get used to the outdoors before planting them into the garden.

Just remember that because a variety is an heirloom does not mean that it will grow equally well in all locations. Most heirlooms originate in a particular area and that is the climate in which they grow best. Sometimes people will try to grow heirlooms in an area where they won't grow well or they succumb to local plant diseases and they are disappointed.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I also start a few plantings. Over a 6-8 week timeframe. Very early, also early, then early. In fact, i does stretch out the process. If any troubles i have plenty of back-ups. Always at least a dozen of each variety, 2-3 per cell and cull the weaker ones. I feel it is best to take the strongest as seeds are cheap...especially if seeds have been saved.
I may have 5-600 seedlings, then cull the weak, about a 100, then pot up the strongest, etc.

I always have extras to gift to friends. Last season was successful so gifted about 10dozen in recycled solo cups. My pots are purchased square tall pots. Nest nicely and no toppling since they travel to the farm and harden off in the barn south window not unlike a cold frame.

Having starting trays seeded over time, a week or two apart, does free up space in your seeding area, as potting up is also over time. Some can go off to the cold frame while others are still small under lights. If an early planting date with warm weather predicted, i am ready with a first batch of strong plants. (like the past few years). If something tragic happens, like last years critter attack, i have back-ups....same with early peas. I start tight rows a week apart for 4 weeks. Succession planting avoids disappointment.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2016   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I give away seeds to anyone who can mail me a self-addressed stamped envelope. If you have the means to purchase "global forever" stamps from the USPS, then my offer works for people living outside the US.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2016   #7
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

A good place to buy seeds, with reasonable shipping, is http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page#tab=Main

There's also a wealth of information on varieties.

Good luck,
Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #8
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for replies, a lot of useful info received.
Old January 11, 2017   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

A "letter" went out today.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017   #10
javafxnoob
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Tormato. That is very kind from you.

Tags
heirloom , pot , seed , transplant