Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 26, 2016   #1
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Default De Colgar tomato family

So after reading the tread http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=563139 about what varieties should be more known I saw a post about the De Colgar family. It peeked my interest. Specially the picture that Carolyn linked to with the picture of the man with the huge truss of tomatoes. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4
What else is there in this family and where can I find seeds for the tomatoes that the old man is holding.

-Zach
Old May 26, 2016   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazedwards View Post
So after reading the tread http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?p=563139 about what varieties should be more known I saw a post about the De Colgar family. It peeked my interest. Specially the picture that Carolyn linked to with the picture of the man with the huge truss of tomatoes. http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=34658&page=4
What else is there in this family and where can I find seeds for the tomatoes that the old man is holding.

-Zach
Zach, as I said above Ilex only sells his seeds as an SSE listed member.

I also said that from the seeds he sent me for Ribera,it has a longer name,that I intend to offer seeds eventually in my seed offer but don't know right now if seed production will be done in time for that which will be late summer or early Fall, 2016.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2016   #3
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I've got a seed bank mostly devoted to these tomatoes, I'm just overwhelmed at this moment with too many things to do, but yes,I've got seeds.

These are tomatoes selected for winter storage as due to high relative humidity, we can't keep dry tomatoes. They have the alc gene, and I believe are the most diverse group of tomatoes.

I'm running out of last year crop, picked in July. Need to plant more this year. They are in perfect shape for bread-rubbing (which is their main use). They are perfect for fresh eating up to mid December or so. Not enough left for "arroz al horno".
ilex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I am very interested in the De Colgar family of tomatoes.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #5
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilex View Post
I've got a seed bank mostly devoted to these tomatoes, I'm just overwhelmed at this moment with too many things to do, but yes,I've got seeds.

These are tomatoes selected for winter storage as due to high relative humidity, we can't keep dry tomatoes. They have the alc gene, and I believe are the most diverse group of tomatoes.

I'm running out of last year crop, picked in July. Need to plant more this year. They are in perfect shape for bread-rubbing (which is their main use). They are perfect for fresh eating up to mid December or so. Not enough left for "arroz al horno".
When do you normally pick your de colgar tomatoes- at first blush, as you might for any other variety that you are ripening indoors? Or, do they need to be picked earlier, in order to trigger the ripening process?

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #6
ilex
Tomatovillian™

I pick whole bunch when half, or just over half the bunch is changing color. That means some are fully ripe and some really green. If I want them for fresh eating I pick individually wholly ripe. Even if left on the plant they keep a long time. I've found tomatoes in good conditions after being two months in wet soil.
Old May 26, 2016   #7
Kazedwards
Tomatovillian™

Wow. Very interesting family. I may have to rejoin SSE to get seeds. Do you hang them for storage through winter?

-Zach
Old May 26, 2016   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

As a zone 6 market vendor, if I could raise a late fall crop under plastic, store them all winter even if I had build a cooler, and then be at the April 1st market with tomatoes to sell, that would blow everyone's mind.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #9
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Your thinking like me Cole, that is why I am so interested in these.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #10
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The other vendor at market who has tomatoes that early has a big operation, migrant labor help to tend the wood heat around the clock, and a woodpile bigger than his greenhouse. He picks them green and ethylene gasses them until they turn pink. He gets $4 a pound for the worst tomatoes I have ever tasted. They are like a mouthful of pink sand. But he still sells out.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2016   #11
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Wow. Very interesting family. I may have to rejoin SSE to get seeds. Do you hang them for storage through winter?

-Zach
yes, they store much better if not touching anything.

Last edited by ilex; May 26, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old May 26, 2016   #12
ilex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
As a zone 6 market vendor, if I could raise a late fall crop under plastic, store them all winter even if I had build a cooler, and then be at the April 1st market with tomatoes to sell, that would blow everyone's mind.
No cooler needed, the best place I have is my kitchen. I'm just not allowed to fill it with tomatoes.

For me, those that store longer are those picked late July. Growing conditions do make a big difference.
Old May 26, 2016   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

-Zach
Zach, I looked briefly at Ilexe'sd de colgar ones he's offering in the SSE YEarbook,but I don't think I saw the Ribera one that many are now interested in, Ilex can confirm that for you.

Carolyn
Old May 27, 2016   #14
Reign
Tomatovillian™

I just looked at De Colgar listing in the SSE Yearbook.

Last edited by Reign; May 27, 2016 at 12:29 AM. Reason: think I figured it out.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24, 2016   #15
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
I am very interested in the De Colgar family of tomatoes.
I'll 2nd that!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote