Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 22, 2016   #46
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I will grow Delicious , George Detsikas an Brandywine Sudduth next year. And my Ananas Noire.
The biggest tomato that I have ever grown was 20 oz.
have grown some CP and BFT just over a pond.
Do you guys tin out the to get big ones ? Or it just happens ?

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2016   #47
shule1

Where do you all get tomato scales?

I compared my biggest tomato to about two pounds of cheese and determined they were about the same weight. I think some of my smaller tomatoes may have been heavier, though, but they've since been seeded for posterity, and eaten or cooked for the most part.

Last edited by shule1; September 22, 2016 at 06:22 AM.
Old September 23, 2016   #48
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Carol Chyko's Big Paste gave us a fruit that was 3 pounds, 10 ounces this year. It was a big three-lobed thing that grew on a fasciated stem, obviously from a fused blossom. My it was ugly! That was a bit exceptional, but most of the fruits are in the 1 to 2 pound range.
Old September 23, 2016   #49
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
Where do you all get tomato scales?

I compared my biggest tomato to about two pounds of cheese and determined they were about the same weight. I think some of my smaller tomatoes may have been heavier, though, but they've since been seeded for posterity, and eaten or cooked for the most part.
I got mine from Goodwill store, $9.99. You can choose either Grams or pound. Under one pound will show ounces to one decimal place.
It is Taylor brand. It has 11 pounds capacity. I really like it.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #50
shule1

I found some pictures of some of my largest (~2lb) tomatoes.

The three at the back in the first picture are George Detsikas Italian Red, and are all about the same size (the one by the edge is the biggest). The three red ones closest to the front are Cuostralee, but only the one in the very corner is probably about 2lbs (that's not the biggest one I harvested). The Chapman tomatoes hadn't been picked. The orange tomato in the middle is Mexican Yellow (and isn't nearly as big as the aforementioned). The orange pear tomato (which looks yellowish in the picture) is Aladdin's Lamp.

The second picture is the largest tomato I grew: Cuostralee (please excuse the handwriting on it; I had a bunch of other tomatoes I just picked, or some such, in my hands, when I wrote it, I think).

The third picture has a wide Chapman tomato sliced in half. I didn't get any pictures of them whole for some odd reason, but there must be more in the garden I can pick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1367.jpg (140.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1526.jpg (99.4 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1506.jpg (107.7 KB, 100 views)

Last edited by shule1; September 23, 2016 at 05:39 AM.
Old September 23, 2016   #51
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I got mine from Goodwill store, $9.99. You can choose either Grams or pound. Under one pound will show ounces to one decimal place.
It is Taylor brand. It has 11 pounds capacity. I really like it.
Cool. Thanks. It's good to know the specs and the brand like that. I just found a 33lb to 0.05 oz Smart Weigh postage and kitchen scale that looked pretty interesting. A customer says it reads a nickel's weight right. It doesn't have an adapter, though: just batteries (but a customer says they last a long time). I don't know if I'll get it, though.
Old September 23, 2016   #52
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangisha View Post
Hi Tomatovillian!.

We plan to make tomato contest here to keep our gardening enthusiasm keep arise . We think making the biggest tomato contes will great idea . So far the biggest tomato I ever grow is Brandywine . When I searching in the internet the biggest one I can see is Big Zac. But I think Big Zac is hybrid so we can only grow it once.

So I wonder do you think there is others big heirloom out there that's will good idea for contest like this. Ease of grow and size will be great advantage because we all amateur.

Thanks
I've grown Big Zac F2 and F3 and they still produced very large tomatoes. This year the F2's were bigger than the F1's.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2016   #53
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I have a couple. One is in grams and the other is in ounces. When I have a really big one, I take it down to a local grocery store and they'll weigh it for me on a calibrated meat scale. It's nice to have a "friendly local market".
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #54
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I just grew the big Zac as well and won the world record at 8.61 lbs. happy growing, grow em big!!
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #55
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I just grew the big Zac as well and won the world record at 8.61 lbs. happy growing, grow em big!!
Just saw that monster on your facebook page and it is Huge! Way to go growing that beast.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #56
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure where you saw it because I don't have a Facebook page,maybe you saw it on someone else's page,not sure😊
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2016   #57
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitridge View Post
I'm not sure where you saw it because I don't have a Facebook page,maybe you saw it on someone else's page,not sure😊
Yeah my bad this is the page i saw it on
https://m.facebook.com/GiantVeg/posts/527625397430067
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest , heirloom