Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2011   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default It's time to start planting seeds!

Well this week I am starting my mater seeds. Got lots of work to do but it will be nice to see the plants popping up again.So who all is getting started up in the north?Hope everyone has a good year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkTlg...eature=related

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2011   #2
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms
Tomatovillian™

I started my dwarves on Saturday, New Big Dwarf, two Frosty F4 lines, and Earl of Edge Combe (not sure if it is a true dwarf but stays small). I am thinking I will start everything else 2 weeks after those as last year I had a jungle when I started my my plants at 8 and 9 weeks before plant out this year it will be 7 weeks before May 10th for plant out.

Hoping to see some sprouts in 1-3 days from today. Spring is coming, finally!

Craig

Last edited by Gobig_or_Gohome_toms; March 8, 2011 at 09:38 AM.
Gobig_or_Gohome_toms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #3
beefsteak
Tomatovillian™

I started some plants on Feb 7th, I like large plants to put out in the middle of May, they take right off. The rest I started the last day of Feb and the 1st day of March. They are all in the basement under lights now and doing well. I am going to try starting some early this year, middle of April with Wall O Water and maybe row covers, we will see how it goes. We have a good chance of frost here in mid may till the end of the month, but I learned a long time ago that if you pour water on the plants to get the frost off before the sun comes up they do fine, good luck all!!
beefsteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #4
matereater
Tomatovillian™

I'll be starting my peppers this week and toms in about another week.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #5
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I started the peppers a while ago. One batch of tomatoes started on the 3rd, and I'm planting the rest today I hope.
tam91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #6
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

My kitchen table is covered with plastic strawberry containers, each with a few inches of seed starter and 10-40 seeds in each one. I wonder how long my wife will let me leave them there?

http://threedaughtersfarm.com/wp/ there is a photo there of what I have done to the kitchen table <smile>

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #7
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

I started about 8 varieties to set into my hoophouse in early february. Now I have only 4 of the original plants- my cat ate the others when they were still small. I planted the varieties that she ate again, and now I have some tiny tomatoes seedlings and some bigger tomato seedlings. This seems to happen every year the three years I've been gardening, somehow or another.

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #8
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

I have started some hot pepper seeds so far, won't start tomatoes for about a few weeks more,

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #9
ubergoober
Tomatovillian™

Another week or two and I will begin my tomatoes and peppers! I can't wait!!! I am trying a few new varieties this year.

I keep doing the math and yet it still doesn't seem right because there is still snow on the ground lol.
ubergoober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #10
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

I started the first of my tomato and pepper seeds January 27th..The seedlings have been transplanted , and are now about 4 inches high and doing well. I dont use grow lights, only natural light from the windows/doors..Most of the early tomatoes will be planted in the GH..
I started more seeds through the end of February..So far I have 70 different varieties of tomatoes planted, and have transplanted 100 tomato seedlings..I probably have about another 150 to go..That is if I stop planting..
I am cleaning out the GH today, and starting some lettuce, spinach and other greens..
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #11
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

I like to start my Tomatoes the last week of March but also want to plant during the second quarter moon and in a water sign. However that would mean sowing this Sunday 3/13 or Monday 3/14, perfect but too soon for me. I don't want to maintain transplants for 10-11 weeks. However the next good day isn't until April 9, way too late for beefsteak varieties.

So I am going to start mine on 3/22, a little early but at least it's within 3 days of the full moon and in a water sign.

Peppers, Eggplant, Onion, and Lettuce seed will get started on 3/18, a day before the full moon.
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #12
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
I like to start my Tomatoes the last week of March but also want to plant during the second quarter moon and in a water sign. However that would mean sowing this Sunday 3/13 or Monday 3/14, perfect but too soon for me. I don't want to maintain transplants for 10-11 weeks. However the next good day isn't until April 9, way too late for beefsteak varieties.

So I am going to start mine on 3/22, a little early but at least it's within 3 days of the full moon and in a water sign.

Peppers, Eggplant, Onion, and Lettuce seed will get started on 3/18, a day before the full moon.

Barkeater,
Glad you made this post because I've been wrestling with two lunar planting calendars and the info available on-line such as the Farmer's Almanac site. All the information seems to conflict with one another. Which source(s) do you find the best/simplest for beginners to follow?

Sorry for the off-thread detour...should I start a new thread?

Kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #13
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

That's ok Kath. It is regarding starting your seeds after all

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Barkeater - like Kath, I was getting conflicting information. I think, as an experiment, I'll start just a half dozen beefsteak types on the 14/3 - should be able to maintain that number for 10 weeks or so. Then I'll start the same ones with the rest at the later dates and just see if it was worth it.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2011   #15
stoopeechee
Tomatovillian™

Kevin- I'm in MI too.
I've got some stupice, early annie and anna russian started. coming along nicely.
Any suggestions for michigander on getting the tastiest early maters?
stoopeechee is offline   Reply With Quote