Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 28, 2009   #16
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater View Post
"if you cut each "strain" at the equater and simply compare, you'll see that they aren't alike at all. I've had many that say Cowlick's also have much smaller seeds than say Glick's or Sudduths"

Camo,

If they are that much different, then maybe Cowlick's somewhere back crossed with another variety and has now stabilized into the tomato you like so much. It does sound like a good one.
Barkeater,
Anything is possible, I've been growing them for three or four years now and they were so much greater from day one. I had gone back to the nursury from where I had purchased it initially and the owner had no idea of strain or variety, just that he had purchased seed from a pa. company and grew out about three flats. The dozen or so plants that he had when I bought mine were all the same size ( about 2 1/2 ft tall) and really nice!
I had them between two 5 ft. high fences that first year and tried to train them to the fences. They consumed the entire corner, and probably were 10-12 ft. high if staked up. They remained lush and productive right up to 31 Oct of that year, when I finally pulled the plant as we were getting a freeze that evening,, and I wanted to till the garden. (it was the last plant out there!) It was still full of nice sized greenies too. I had picked the first three ripe tomatoes off it on June 29th and the heaviest of the three was 1 3/8 lbs. Had three more ripe on July 1st and it continueed steadily from there. It's been one super plant! I'm not sure if its offspring has been as impressive as the weather hasn't been as good as that year.
This season they gave me first ripe ones on July 1st but then dropped off in production until August when it got a little warmer. July was very cold and wet here this year. Still it produces more tomatoes than anything else in the gardens. If I could only grow one tomato, it would be between Cowlick Brandywine and Sandul Moldovan! Great taste and great production on both! I don't care what you call them they are fantastic tomatoes. I think DS said she sent you some seed in an e-mail I got earlier today. Enjoy!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2009   #17
huntsman
Tomatovillian™

Great list, Camo -

Nice to have some solid feedback from the NH...
huntsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2009   #18
igarden
Tomatovillian™

awesome list camo! i have to say, even tho i got the seed late, and still went ahead and planted them, the Cowlicks did very well in production...even through our chills...and the taste, oh my! we will be growing lots of Cowlicks next year, as well as some new ones you've mentioned! thanks for sharing!
Old November 3, 2009   #19
Tropicalgrower
Tomatovillian™

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy your tomato rankings each year Camo!What a pleasure it is to read...
Tropicalgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2009   #20
beefyboy
Tomatovillian™

Great list and I love J.D SPECIAL C-TEX. Dissapointed how poorly Dr. Wyches did for you. Here in Southwest Florida it really tastes great and bears big yields.
beefyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2009   #21
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

What does good? JD or Wyches?
Old December 9, 2009   #22
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
What does good? JD or Wyches?
TomatoDon,
I'd have to say it depends on the year. In the past Dr. Wyches yellow has produced a great tasting tomato for me that had a unique bite to it that actually lured me back, constantly. This past season they just didn't live up to previous seasons, but many of my favorite tomatoes were disapointing this season , due to the cold wet weather. they were bland and watery. To put it frankly, this year-"The Doctor was out!"
JD's Special C-Tex, which was planted much later was the other extreme...it was fantastic! This past season was my first time planting it but certainly won't be my last. The only blacks to do better were Amazon Chocolate and Dana's Dusky Rose, but each had it's own distinctive taste. All three will be in my favorites listing for a while now, perhaps Amazon Chocolate a bit more as it has done well in both wet and dry years now.
It would be quite difficult to choose one over the other on a normal year, but if going by this past year alone...JD's Special C=Tex without a doubt!
I had a friend that I had sent seeds from Dr.Wyches Yellow this past season, that had one of her plants produce pink tomatoes, that she said were delicious. She has sent me some seed back from it and I'm looking forward to trying it this coming season to see what it does. Who knows?
So if you have the room, try them both, if not try one this year and the other next year. Good luck with whichever you decide to go with!
Camo
Old December 9, 2009   #23
TomatoDon
Tomatovillian™

Is there a commercial seed source for JD's coming out in 2010? And while we're at it, Purple Haze too?

Thanks for the reply and the info!

DS
Old December 9, 2009   #24
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoDon View Post
Is there a commercial seed source for JD's coming out in 2010? And while we're at it, Purple Haze too?

Thanks for the reply and the info!

DS
try: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page or Sand hill for JD's Special c-tex. not familiar with purple haze but check Tatianas for information.
Camo
Old December 9, 2009   #25
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by camochef View Post
try: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Main_Page or Sand hill for JD's Special c-tex. not familiar with purple haze but check Tatianas for information.
Camo
Purple Haze is a hybrid and last I knew Keith Mueller, who bred it, was quoted by someone as saying there were no more hybrid seeds. he could of course do the cross again, but I don't know if that's on his agenda.

Above Camo suggested Sandhill or Tania for JD's and gave the link to Tanias site.

Here's the one for Sandhill:

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/
Old December 11, 2009   #26
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I will also have JDs listed when I get my site up-dated.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2009   #27
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

I had my usual 100 or so varieties in the garden this year. Most of my favorites were in form and tasted great. I could list them, but it would just be another subjective list of what I thought tasted best. Kellogg's Breakfast, Earl's Faux, KBX, Brandywine, etc were among the best.

I tried a new tomato at K. Mueller's in September that literally took my breath away. It is the best flavored tomato I've ever eaten and that is by comparison with over 1000 varieties of heirlooms and a few hybrids. It is a partially stablized cross of Sungold and Little Lucky. It carries the sweetness of Sungold and the superb flavor of Little Lucky and get this... It is a bicolor!

Now the bad part. It is only F3 and therefore not even close to stable. Keith won't release it until it is at least F6. I hope to fit in 2 or 3 generations in 2010 so maybe 2011 will see it available.

heads up that Sandhill is low on J.D.'s Special so if you can get some elsewhere, sooner is better.

Darrel Jones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009   #28
rsg2001
Tomatovillian™

I can't even give you a fair rating this year, as my total yield was not very good, and I had disease issues -- mostly due to gray mold, I didn't have the late blight that made the rounds in the northeast. ust some of the tried and true in my garden did well. On the cherry side - sungold and black cherry and sprite did well. On the regular tomato side, eva purple ball, lemon boy and black did well, and some of the Eastern European varieties I received from Carolyn's seed offer did pretty well. However, there's always next year, right? I had to take down the one big tree on my property, a maple with two trunks soaring from its base, because its main root was growing into the garage and started moving the bricks - I had two arborists check it out and there really was no alternative. As said I was to take it down, it will open up the tomato garden to at least a couple of hours of more sun next year and that will probably make a big difference to the productivity of the garden.
rsg2001 is offline   Reply With Quote