Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old October 24, 2009   #16
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I grew the two side-by-side this year and they don't have a lot in common. Purple Smudge is the result of a very early cross back to a wild relative. OSU is a much more recent and sophisticated cross - though probably using some of the same or similar lines. So the two are distant cousins.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2009   #17
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogsleap farm View Post
This is my first year growing OSU blue, and I've encountered a few surprizes. It was one of the first tomato plants to flower in my garden, though fruit development has lagged behind a few of the other "earlies". The anthocyanin accumulation in vegetative parts is very strong early, and then fades rapidly. The purple pigmentation now remains only in the base of the stem. Pigmentation in the fruit is very light dependent (see photo). This plant is on the west edge of a raised bed, with the top of the fruit getting exposed full sun for a couple hours late in the day. Where fruit is shaded all day by foliage, pigmentation is muted. I've made several crosses now with OSU Blue/P20 as both the male and female parent (other photo). The seedling "anthocyanin phenotype" is so strong, I think with OSU as the female I can segregate selfs from F1 crosses - plus I emasculated early. Most of the OSU male parent crosses are to PL females (e.g. PPPxPP "C"). One last observation, OSU Blue appears to be a Septoria magnet.
Is that the same tomato as Blueberry or is it totally different? I am interested in that color and the purple smudge and does that have the same antioxidents as anything else that carries anthocyanin ?

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #18
travis
Tomatovillian™

Blueberry tomato is genetically engineered. OSU Blue or P20 is bred by traditional methods using a wild tomato as a parent rather than material extracted from another genus and blasted into the strand.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2009   #19
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

There's also a research group in Italy working on a very similar project, using the same "wild" parents and genes for anthocyanin expression. The yet to be released variety is called Sun Black. Pretty cool photo. The Italian group is also looking at various cultural treatments that can be used to strongly induce gene expression and anthocyanin production.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sun Black fruit 4.jpg (49.7 KB, 178 views)
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #20
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

I am going to begin to show that I obtained this year with blue tomato OSU.
Here is a young plantation at the beginning of juin:il was planted on May 15th.
Anthocyanes colors the stalk and the sheets(leaves)

Here are the first tomatoes compared with one of the matt's wild cherry.

Ambiorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2009   #21
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Default P 20

Beauty!!! I am in the loop, someone is sending me the coveted P 20!!
Any informaton I should know about, special growing condition? Light, temp, watering etc? I am obssesd with new things. And wondering if a crossback would intensify color and anthocyanin content. We can work on the flavor later. Are the seedlings weak? and is it a determinate?
I know they might be basic questions. But I keep a log of everything I do.

Thank you for your time, Icelord
Old November 17, 2009   #22
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambiorix View Post

Here are the first tomatoes compared with one of the matt's wild cherry.

Beautiful
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2009   #23
travis
Tomatovillian™

Ice, I heard there are 3 genes controlling the anthocyanin and one is dominant. So I guess back crossing would give you a better chance of capturing the two recessive genes. Don't know the actual percentages.

I believe the plant is determinate but I'm not sure because the breeder contends it's still unstable. So just consider some have grown determinate plants from reports I have.

The breeder has asked that no seeds be shared until he releases stable germplasm possibly in 2010.
Old November 17, 2009   #24
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

Here is an almost ripe(mature) tomato

Colors evolve according to the exhibition(exposure) in the light:mallum red,mallum orange,brown yellow,mallum orange,brown or winy.

Last edited by Ambiorix; November 17, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 17, 2009   #25
icelord
Tomatovillian™

I am aware, but was still able to get some of the seeds, secret squirrel like. And boy am I happy! I also have some of the ones called Blueberry
someone said it was gmo and someone said it wasnt. I will plant it and see what happens! I certainly wont wont to give it to anyone if it is gmo.

Dean
Old November 17, 2009   #26
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

It seems like blue might be the next black!?
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18, 2009   #27
Ambiorix
Tomatovillian™

Ohers observations over the tomatoes:

Tomato OSU is indeteminate.
The leaves are regular, green and covered with blue, purple colors.
The most found shape is the round shape but certain tomatoes are flat or semi flat, irregular or really special.
The double flower can appear wherever.
There are allogames flowers.
The number of rooms in tomatoes are 2,3,5,7,9and more for the double flower.

I observed 3 plantations of tomatoes protected from the rain by a roof sides of which were opened to the four winds. A plantation often in the shadow, a plantation often in the sun, an intermediate plantation.
The method to make make blue the tomato changes in time.
At first the tomato turns blue on the plantation. The position of the tomato with regard to the sun can change in time.

The tomato detached time can continue to turn blue by turning her some time over a week.

Later in the season, you can continue to make blue inside the house on edges of a window

Last edited by Ambiorix; November 18, 2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old November 19, 2009   #28
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by icelord View Post
I am aware, but was still able to get some of the seeds, secret squirrel like. And boy am I happy! I also have some of the ones called Blueberry. someone said it was gmo and someone said it wasnt. I will plant it and see what happens! I certainly wont wont to give it to anyone if it is gmo.

Dean
Depends on where you got the seeds. There is a GE tomato given the potential release name Blueberry from Europe I think but that one hasn't been released to the general public as of the last article I read. Then there is the OSU Blue seeds that were sent to a lady in PNW who creatively named it Blueberry for other reasons and possibly is now distributing seeds under that name.
Old November 19, 2009   #29
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Why so disturbed, you would think that the more people working for the same goal would be a positive. I dont think anything should be withheld when it comes to a breakthrough or reserved for a special few. I could understand if it were given to someone that didn't know what to do with it. which is not the case in my situation. But I try to keep up with any latest developements on this and a couple other ones I am working on.

Dean
Old November 19, 2009   #30
travis
Tomatovillian™

I'm not disturbed about you or anyone else having OSU Blue tomato seeds. My frowning face is in regard to someone renaming OSU Blue to Blueberry which is a name already in use for a European GE tomato.