Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 22, 2013   #1
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Default Golden King of Siberia

I got this interesting information from my good old seed exchange partner, Valery Popenko in Kazakhstan, and I thought that I need to share it.

Valery noticed that I have 'Golden King of Siberia' in TOMATObase, and he told me that this was actually two different Russian tomatoes that he sent to Bakers Creek in the late 2000s. One was 'Korol Sibiri' (translates as 'King of Siberia') and other one was 'Zolotoy Korol' (translates as 'Golden King').

Valery does not speak English, and he had been communicating with a Baker Creek employee who knew Russian, and this is how they have been swapping seeds and exchanging information.

Valery told me that the person he has been in contact with at BC told him that they grew out both and found the two tomatoes to be very similar. The seeds were offered to customers as 'Golden King of Siberia', a combination of both translated names.

It is not clear which one of the original Russian variety is being sold in NA as 'Golden King of Siberia' - could be either one, or even a mix or the two (?).

Valery is very adamant about the 2 Russian varieties to be different. Somehow he could not get his story across, probably due to the language barrier. I promised him that I will post the story at TOMATObase. Then I thought, I will also post it here.

Valery's story certainly explained the name mystery for me, as I have been searching for the original Russian variety and could not find any matching the 'Golden King of Siberia' translation!

I thought we only had some confusion with tomato names that get translated back and forth and result in the same variety known under different names. Now it looks like it is also possible to get two varieties 'combined' into one and offered under a 'combined' translated name!

Translations often give a person a certain natural 'room' for naming varieties. Sometimes it results in complete loss of its history, and it becomes impossible to trace it. The more I look into this, the more I understand why we should not be offering varieties under their translated names and honor the original names, no matter how weird they may sound or be spelled.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #2
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Did he say what the differences between the two was?
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #3
Tania
Tomatovillian™

No, he did not - but I can look them up, as both were offered commercially by different Russian vendors.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 22, 2013   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
No, he did not - but I can look them up, as both were offered commercially by different Russian vendors.
And let us hope that the different vendors have the right pictures on the seed packs and that the seeds inside are correct for the pictures.

Sorry Tania, but after you helping me with Pood and Pink Flamingo and finding out that different vendors sometimes do strange things with pictures and the seed inside those packs I've been a bit wary when I'm sent seeds from Russia or whereve,r with the translated names.

And it looks like I'll be asking for your help again,based on what I've already received for this season.

Carolyn
Old February 22, 2013   #5
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

Please thank Valery for his efforts to share. It is a blessing.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2013   #6
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacetogrow View Post
Please thank Valery for his efforts to share. It is a blessing.
I did
He was a great help in resolving the mystery.

Carolyn, I would very much doubt that we will be able to judge the varieties based on the pictures on the commercial seed packets...

I was looking for descriptions, and found them. The only difference I see is that Zolotoy Korol is larger in size (up to 1 kg), and Korol Sibiri is described as 150-500 gr. It is hard to judge the fruit color based on these descriptions.

I am growing Korol Sibiri this year (seeds from 2 different sources), so at least I will be able to see it myself. Too bad I do not have seeds for Zolotoy Korol to compare.

Valery just responded saying that he did not grow Zolotoy Korol himself yet - he sent them a commercial packet he bought. He only grew Korol Sibiri. He said that Korol Sibiri was offered earlier, and Zolotoy Korol is a later introduction.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 23, 2013   #7
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Tania, when you posted that Zolotoy Korol can go up to 1 Kg (35 oz's), you immediately peaked my interest. Let's find this one. Can your friend Valery send a packet? (Two pound tomatoes gets my tomato juice going).
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2013   #8
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

The pack of 'Korol Sibiri' I have gives their weight at 300-400gr? If the picture on the packet is correct it appears an apricot colour, more orange than yellow.
Jayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2013   #9
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Jayc, which vendor was it for your Korol Sibiri?

I found the description of Zolotoy Korol here: http://xn--80agvlelib.xn--p1ai/e-sto...%3D9&PAGEN_1=4 - see the 4th from the top.

Ted, I will ask Valery if he can get me some seeds.
I know he does not carry it in his seed shop, but he can probably buy it.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 24, 2013   #10
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Tania, they came from http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/index.php?GID=12093
I'd be happy to send some to you if they are of interest?
Old February 24, 2013   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Jayc. Looks like yours are from Aelita, which is a quite reputable Russian seed vendor.

And yes, they look orange and described as such. But Zolotoy Korol is described as lemon-yellow. Obviously they are different tomatoes.

I already have seeds for Korol Sibiri, from 2 sources, so I should have enough for this year growout.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Old February 24, 2013   #12
Jayc
Tomatovillian™

Yes they look, sound different from Zolotoy Korol.

Thanks for pointing out about 'Golden King of Siberia'. I've not grown this variety but it was one I fancied to try.
Old February 24, 2013   #13
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

I did some searching on Google.de for Zolotoy Korol and didn't see any weighing in the 1kg class except for Tania's Reference. Here are some other links for this variety I found.

http://ventmarin.free.fr/passion_tom...mate_gj_gr.htm

Listed under Golden King of Siberia.

http://semences-partage.forum-tomate...details/2/1742

http://semeurs.free.fr/wiki/index.ph..._Zolotoy_Korol
Old February 24, 2013   #14
clara
Tomatovillian™

I had Korol Sibiri in my garden last year - a great variety! Seeds from Aelita. Rather early, but none of the fruits reached more than 200g/7oz. Very prolific, few seeds (my son even had a fruit with apparently none and asked me how to re-grow this variety without seeds) and excellent taste - it MUST be back! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #15
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Seeking permission from Tania to grow NGKS ( not Golden King of Siberia) this season.

As I was opening up all the envelopes that were sent me with seeds for this season I was very careful to get the spellings of those as translated from Russian spelled correctly.

When what to my wondering/wandering eyes appeared this afternoon when I was looking at the list but ta da,King of Siberia, no golden anything.

So I'm assuming it's Korol Sibiri and it was sent to me last year from Marina in Russia but her seeds got to me so late that I couldn't have my "team"grow out all of them, and at the time didn't know how important it was to know about King of Siberia.

So I'd like to be accepted into the Tville King of Siberia group, and Tania, I thank you in advance for accepting me.

Carolyn