Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 1, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Thoughts about Damsel?

Damsel is the only new (to me) variety that I currently plan to try next year. But I'm curious about others experiences with it. Any pictures would be great, too! I bought some seeds this past winter from a guy on eBay that I have had good luck with in the past, but I'm convinced that his "Damsel" wasn't. For one thing, it was definitely red; not pink. And really stingy with its fruit -- but good tasting. And zero chance that I mixed them up!

Plant size? (Supposedly a smaller indeterminate.)
Foliage cover? (I've never seen any description about leaf size and coverage.)
General hardiness?
Typical fruit size? (Does it seem to differ between in-ground and container?)
Taste? (Can you pin a number on it?)
Yield?

Thanks!

Last edited by Greatgardens; October 1, 2019 at 03:07 PM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #2
gdaddybill
Tomatovillian™

Damsel F1 is a tomato that I plan to grow again. It's a very strong plant, a bit late to start producing but it eventually produced a lot of delicious large pink tomatoes. Sorry, I didn't get any photos but I plan to try it again next year and it's still rather healthy now after a couple of months of Texas heat and drought (no fruit currently however). Maybe I'll get photos before our first freeze. I got my seed from one of the major catalogs--Totally Tomatoes, I think.
gdaddybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #3
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

I grew it two years ago, and the fruit was very good. It did not produce a whole lot, but that taste was spot on delicious.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #4
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I'm a fan and I've written about it before.

Regular leaf, not an overly huge plant, great taste. I thought the production was great (but I'm not in AKMARK's league) but for Florida - hot/humid climate, production was better than BigBeef.

I had one plant that I started August '18 and pulled July '19. It was in a 5 gallon container and only pulled b/c I stopped watering/feeding.

Tomatoes weren't huge but I let it get too much foliage; I'm not a good pruner which is a goal of mine to change.

I can send you seeds so don't bother with your eBay ones. I bought from Harris seeds.

I'm growing now and have one in an Earthbox. I have more ready to get planted out too. I will take pictures.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2019   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Great! Pictures tell so much.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote