Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2016   #31
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I have to chime in on KB. I think it only gave me one tomato and I don't even remember if it tasted any good to me. Certainly not worth the real estate!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #32
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Every time I read about KB's stinginess I get my warrior spirit roused and I am thinking if I should try it just for the heck of it...
Probably not a great idea, given so many wonderful varieties that actually are willing to co-operate.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2016   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm really surprised that several of you say that KB/KBX doesn't yield well..

I got my seeds for KBX directly from Martha Hufford when we were both members of the AOL tomato forum and she shared with other members as well.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/KBX

And now KB

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...%27s_Breakfast

I've grown both many times over the years and that goes back several decades to the AOL tomato Forum.

I think it's true for almost any variety that perhaps some years yield is great,other years not so much. When a variety has good reviews from many and at first it doesn't perform well,I always regrew it in a different year(s).

Carolyn

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2016   #34
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

For those who are able to grow hundreds of plants, it would be nice to give varieties that receive rave reviews a second chance. For me, if something doesn't perform in my garden (and it wasn't because of something that I did), I won't grow it again. There are so many varieties out there to try that I would consider it a waste of my time and garden space to discover that something doesn't perform a second time!

Those varieties that are fabulous every fourth year, but unremarkable the other three, are also off my grow list.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #35
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
For those who are able to grow hundreds of plants, it would be nice to give varieties that receive rave reviews a second chance. For me, if something doesn't perform in my garden (and it wasn't because of something that I did), I won't grow it again. There are so many varieties out there to try that I would consider it a waste of my time and garden space to discover that something doesn't perform a second time!

Those varieties that are fabulous every fourth year, but unremarkable the other three, are also off my grow list.

Linda
Linda,I am truly sad to read what you said.

The main reason that SOME varieties don't perform each time when grown is b/c of the weather in any one season, and no one has control over that variable.

If I hadn't regrown several varieties that were said to be great but didn't perfom in one summer I would have missed out on some really great varieties.

Even today I'm wondering how all the ones being grown for me in the backyard,that came to me with rave reviews for most of them,are going to do.

Stuff happens.

Carolyn
Old July 10, 2016   #36
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I tried Orange Minsk a few years ago, and mine were awful. But I didn't realize until afterward that my soil was awful, too. Now that my soil has been improved, I suspect Orange Minsk would taste much better.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2016   #37
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Linda
I have to say, I am with Linda on this one. There are too many untried varieties in my ever expanding seed stash to possibly waste a 2nd year on a bad performer. I don't even have the room to keep growing all the favorite tomatoes I really do like! I tried both KBX and KB in different years, and found them too mild for me. Could be the year, could be my soil, could be my predjudice against pale tomatoes. But so be it - other tomatoes grown the same year were better. And of course our taste buds differ.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #38
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

While my growing space is also tight, I've learned not to scratch a good tasting tomato after one year just because it's a poor producer. I'll always give it a second chance but with seeds I saved myself for the second year.

If it's still a poor producer from my own seeds, then it gets dropped.

If I really don't like a variety the first year, then I have no desire to try it again.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #39
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

In general I agree, because sometimes we hit bad growing conditions on all fronts. That said, unless I find the rare tomato that I loved but had difficulty growing it's off my list. Aunt Gertie's Gold is one of the few I decided to give a third and final chance to. Otherwise, like Linda and Dee, too many other choices to try when you have limited space. KB and KBX were both ok and I would not grow again. Generally the Orange/Gold/Yellow varieties haven't always been my favourites. Except in Cherry form.
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2016   #40
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Ain't Gertie's Gold and Virginia Sweets are two that I absolutely loved.
What I don't love was a plant taking up valuable space and only producing two tomatoes.
The both got scratched after two tries.
Dester and Giant Belgium are also two I crossed off due to production.
Some day I hope to have more room to grow in, then I'll try all four of them again.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2016   #41
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Earl of Edgecombe
Orange Minsk
Jaune Flamme
Are ones I recommend.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2016   #42
Adriana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Orange strawberry and Amana Orange for me. Along with Orange Jazz, but I am biased about that one.
I am anxiously watching and waiting for my first two Orange Jazz tomatoes to fill out and ripen. Can't wait to taste them!
Old July 15, 2016   #43
jasonig
Tomatovillian™

I love love love Dad'd Sunset. A very rich and unique flavor. Cant get enough of them. I start seeds for friends now to give them the plant.
Also enjoy Jaune Flamme as well.
Enjoy!
jasonig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #44
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Best yellow for me was Jim Dandy. Tomatoes well over a pound. They are yellow with just a slight blush of pink on the blossom end. More acid than sweet...which I like. Very productive but considered a "late season" variety. I have seeds if U are interested in trying them.
Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2016   #45
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I'm happy to report Aunt Gerties Gold currently has at least twelve tomatoes growing with lots of blooms. I'm hopeful, but the squirrels are playing havoc with my maters.
Orange Caprese is setting fruit but I found a few with BER but it looks like that was just the first few. Orange Minsk is a beast and setting lots of fruit. Can't wait!
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote