Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old March 16, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Beneficial nematodes?

Has anyone used these? I have some ticks in my yard, first time ever. Also, cockroaches and ants. According to Arbico, the beneficial nematodes are supposed to be good at getting all these pests.
Are they really worth the money?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #2
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I have used them for root maggots. You have to use them when your soil temperature is between 50-55. And, the soil can't have puddles. And, however you apply them, you have to have access to a hose to finish spraying them into the ground.

I'm sure you will get a list of instructions as I did. They worked great for me for about a year. I used a sprayer last year, but I think I will use watering cans this year, just to make sure that I get all that paid for. I think the sprayer does kill some of them.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2012   #3
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to mention that they only work on the insects below the ground; so for most of what you are using them for, that means you need to catch the pests while they are in the hatching or pupa stage. I don't think they will work on your adult bugs. But, they will break the life-cycle and the next generation of bugs. fyi, they don't hurt earthworms.
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote