Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 23, 2007   #16
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I guess I am wrong to be calling it Husky Red Cherry, but that's what the tag says. It's a very healthy, stocky plant as you describe and is really loading up, with about 25 fruit set, although not as fast as Sungold (75+!!!). Were the fruit on your HRC variable? My first two that set are almost mini-beefsteaks or maybe they are double blossoms, but they are bigger than a golf ball but with two lobes.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #17
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Generally speaking, HCR fruit is pretty consistent. I suspect what you're seeing is just fused blossoms, or something to that effect. What you should get is the standard 3/4 - 1" fruit.
Old April 23, 2007   #18
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

ok great, looking forward to them.

Last year's ridiculously early Dec 1st frost probably won't be repeated, but nonetheless I will probably grow mostly cherries and a few earlies like Orange-1, Azoychka, and Silvery Fir Tree and skip all beefsteaks. And even if I could get beefsteaks to grow, the temperature drop seems to equate with a drop in flavor so no point.

This fall will be the Great Houston Cherry Tomato Grow-off.

Last edited by feldon30; April 23, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2007   #19
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Like sirtanon, I got 3/4"-1" fruit. As I recall, mine were pretty round.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2007   #20
sirtanon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Last year's ridiculously early Dec 1st frost probably won't be repeated, but nonetheless I will probably grow mostly cherries and a few earlies like Orange-1, Azoychka, and Silvery Fir Tree and skip all beefsteaks. And even if I could get beefsteaks to grow, the temperature drop seems to equate with a drop in flavor so no point.
I am with you on the 'lots of cherries' mentality. As far as I'm concerned, quick and abundant are two golden words when it comes to tomatoes..

..however, I wouldn't be caught dead with at least a couple large, long-term beefsteaks to round out the season. Granted, you won't get as many of them as you would with the cherries or smaller short-season varieties, but I believe that a large, meaty beefsteak is a must-have... for sandwiches or just fresh eating.

With the heat that you and I will get over the late spring/summer, those beefsteaks are bound to load up with flavor before it gets cold enough to make any difference.

This spring, I'm growing mostly beefsteaks - partly because my wife loves 'em, and partly because I love the slice-and-eats. The fall crop will definitely be more cherries and smaller varieties, but then again, the fall season is shorter.

---------------------------

Something else you might go looking for, if you're planning on growing the Husky CHERRY Reds.. see if you can find the Husky Red and Husky Gold varieties.. grow all three