Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2009   #1
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Problem

I think I have seen similar posts but not sure. I have a tomato plant about 15" high with one little green tomato on it. It is a Big Sungold. Today when I visited the garden it was all wilted looking, droopy leaves etc. We have had lots of rain this so far with about one and a half inches a couple of days ago. There has been no weed killer sprayed and all the other tomato plants surround it look find. Can see no physical damage on the part of the plant that is showing.

Idea anyone?
kygreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Is it in the ground or a pot? Excess water with poor drainage can cause droopiness....even my grow bags got waterlogged this spring with a big stretch of downpours and my plants looked very unhappy.
Old June 6, 2009   #3
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

It is in the ground; it is in the lower part of the garden which stays wetter than the higher part. I did look at it more closely and right at the soil suface and a little below the stem is brown colored; brown like in woody, not just darker green.
Old June 6, 2009   #4
LenaBeanNZ
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like what happened to some of my early plants. Two weeks of rain right after planting meant I lost half the row to water logging. The roots suffocate from excess water/ lack of oxygen and turn brown. Leaves just hang in there looking droopy but wont grow. After weeks of waiting I pulled them out and replaced them. I learnt that planting deep is not always a good idea in a wet area early in the season. This year Ill wait a bit longer.
LenaBeanNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2009   #5
kygreg
Tomatovillian™

I already replaced it with a volunteer growing elsewhere in the garden; its a potato leaf variety and from where it was growing I assume its an Earl Faux, but who knows. I have more vounteers this year than any time in the past. Thanks for the info Lena; I had already thought about putting my plants in the ground 2 or 3 weeks later than I have in the past. It would save a lot of moisture falling on them and give the ground more time to warm.