Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 20, 2009   #1
z-man
Tomatovillian™

Default rain rain rain

My tomatoes were doing just great up until about a month ago,big ,juicy and just right for the dinner table. Then came the rain,rain, and more rain. so much that alot of them started to split and crack. Now it's become hotter here in central fl. and around 95 to 97 degrees. My plants still have some tomatoes left on them (Betterboy) but these are ok for now (no spliting) so I'm pretty much pleased with this crop so far this year. Since I'm still new to growing tomatoes can someone please tell me when is my next best time or month for starting to grow container tomatoes in central FL. This year has been my best yet. I already have another earthtainer built and waiting in the wings. THANKS Z-man
z-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009   #2
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

z-man, welcome to tomatoville!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009   #3
kr222
Tomatovillian™

We're getting rain here as well. I think out of the 21 days of this month we've had rain for 18 or 19 of them. Temperatures in the low 70s...it should be in the 80s. It's terrible. My tomatoes have lots of blossoms, but they won't set fruit. Half of my peas roots rotted out. It's terrible. We need some hot sunny days to get everything back on track. Z-man, I'm glad your Better Boy's are still producing well for you. I can't answer your question about containers in Florida, but you're in the right place to find the answer. Happy Gardening!
kr222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009   #4
Alberta
Tomatovillian™

We have gotten so much rain here, that I'm thinking about building an Ark.

Alberta
Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2009   #5
z-man
Tomatovillian™

I just checked the 10 day forecast starting tomorrow thunderstorms and somekinda rain for next 10 days. And who knows afterward, I guess I'll get my little canoe ready also. THANKS FOR THE REPLYS Z-MAN
z-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2009   #6
scottfsmith
Tomatovillian™

It also has been a horribly rainy period here. But now we have a week of no rain in the forecast .. the first I can remember since early spring! Heres to some good fruit setting.

Scott
scottfsmith is offline   Reply With Quote