Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 12, 2009   #1
1916home
Tomatovillian™

Default Documenting The Tomato Process?

Now that I am full on planting seeds, growing a bunch of tomatoes and more than 'excited' about all of it, I'm wondering if there are any good spreadsheet files or doc files helping me document the whole growing process. For now, Ive scribbled a few notes onto a calendar, but I'd like to make it more official, and frankly easier to read so I dont feel so lost in the process. I'd like to record things like type, when seeded, when planted, when picked, etc, etc.

Does anyone have such a thing? It would be really helpful... my notes are getting confusing as Im running out of calendar space and I'd like to get the info into a chart instead.

Many thanks for any help! -Dave
1916home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #2
1916home
Tomatovillian™

Are we allowed to bump topics? I would love for any help on this! Thanks!
Old June 15, 2009   #3
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Someone on here awhile back posted a link to a garden journal you could print out and fill in the blanks. I'll see if I can find it.
Old June 15, 2009   #4
1916home
Tomatovillian™

Great news! Thanks!
Old June 15, 2009   #5
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

http://site.wayzata-homestead-harves...denJournal.pdf

Here you go (I think)
Old June 15, 2009   #6
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Here's that link again, because I'm on the desktop and it only has IE, and it wouldn't recognize the ...'s in the link Barbee posted.
That's a nice gardening journal, thanks Barbee for finding it.
Personally, I have created a varities database on google docs, and I use the calender and scheduler that came with my Outlook for notes regarding when I did something, when I need to do something, and reminder timers. It synchs with my phone, so even if I'm not near the computer I don't forget.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2009   #7
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

blog, blog, blog! easier said than done .

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19, 2009   #8
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I just use a spreadsheet and put in whatever columns of interest I need. One spreadsheet has all of my varieties sorted by color and color coded. I copy this and paste it into another page for that year, and delete the varieties I am not planting and then keep track of date sown, date germinated, date planted out. Another worksheet has individual plants, days to first picked fruit, number of fruit on the plant when the first ripe fruit is picked etc. Another page has flavor notes.

With Excel I made what looks like a Legoland of the property making different cells different colors, yard is green, house is Yellow, Barn is red...cultivated areas along side the house and barn as well as the garden plots are light orange, and I plug in the names of the tomatoes/vegetables. Each cell represents a foot, tomato plant every 3 feet etc. I use the cell outline feature for the cultivated areas. I print out sections and take out to the garden when planting to makes sure everything goes where it is supposed to be. The spreadsheet is easy to work with because I can vary the size of the spreadsheet (100%, 200%) either to look at the overall property, or zoom in to look at the individual varieties.

You can do the same thing with a Works spreadsheet, but the controls are a little differnt, more time consuming, and instead of all the different worksheets being different pages in one file you would have to make different files and hold them in a folder.
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote