Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 30, 2009   #61
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Great Frogs,

I'll send you as well as theclaw(joining this project) some seeds tommorow. So right now we have small and XL(up to 1.6oz)cherry browns, but I can't wait to find a tasty brown mini beefsteak to work with. Best bet are from the red a F1 seeds(I have observed beefsteak for these but no color ID yet). It is equally possible we will get browns from your F1 red C seed(I think that is what we will call it for now). How large is the red cherry you picked? If you don't have a scale, hazlenut or walnut sized? All off the F1s I grew were supersized hazlnut or small walnut sized.

Best,

Vince

BTW I will update the score board with this new F1
Old June 30, 2009   #62
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

It is walnut sized, deep red in color and very prolific. I'll PM my address in case you don't still have this. Thanks
frogsleap farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2009   #63
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Ok your seeds are packed and ready to go. If you look at post 4 on the first page of this thread, there is a list of who is growing what. I updated this list and have added the claw to the team. I am including F2 red b seed for howard since we havn't had any report yet from this line, with respect to color/flavor.
Old July 4, 2009   #64
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default F1 Red "C"

Thanks Vince, I got the seed yesterday and started germinating a few for planting this summer. I can now also report on F1 Red "C". Taste is a 7.5 - 8.0, a little more tart than sweet - but to my taste, very good balance. The only negative is that the skin is a little tough, but on the positive side, no evidence of cracking and the fruit appears to hold quality well on the vine all the way to "dead ripe" stage. It's a prolific bugger too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP x Sungold F1 Red C.jpg (86.7 KB, 28 views)
Old July 4, 2009   #65
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Frogsleap,

red a also had somewhat tough skin and was the most mild of the F1s. However, in the F2 I am seeing a dramatic improvement of taste and thin to thick skinned fruit, lots of variation here. All of the other F1s were prone to cracking, like sungold. But, in the F2 none of these are prone to cracking either.
Old July 5, 2009   #66
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I harvested fruit from around ten different Red A fruits at the green stage (several weeks early) from my moms place, to ensure we get correct color IDs and seed. Here gardner had cut down several last time I was there and I became nervous that more atrocities may occur, hence the harvest of green fruit. Some are starting to ripen and I have updated the list. A few more apear to be browns, but I need to let them get fully ripe to be sure. Several more mini beefsteak type also. When these green harvested fruit ripen the seed gel has stayed green on all of them, so I don't know if it is a consequence of early harvest or genetics. One more, point. Amazingly the fruit quality has been in the 7 range for all harvest several week early(good sugar content). So I can only imagine how they would have tasted at full vine ripeness.

For those attempting to grow the big brown, we can tentatively call this Big Cherokee sunkissed, and the smaller version (I have just planted some of the F3 seeds) Cherokee sunkissed, respectively.

Last edited by Vince; July 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2009   #67
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Actually lets take some input on the names from participants and non-participating TV members.

Several possible names

#1 Big Cherokee sunkissed(up to 1.6oz) and Cherokee Sunkissed(far under 1 ounce, sungold sized)

#2 Big Cherokee Sunrise & Cherokee sunrise

#3 Big Cherokee Sungold & Cherokee sungold (most informative)

#4 (please add possible names)

Having cherokee in the name may add to confusion, since we now have cherokee green, purple, chocolate, gold, bicolor. Your thoughts?
Old July 7, 2009   #68
dice
Tomatovillian™

Big Sunokee, Sunokee (Kind of follows the Spudakee tradition,
although it sounds a little awkward to my ear.)

Big Dog Cherry, Dog Cherry (Univ. of Washington's school colors,
purple and gold)

I like Big Cherokee Sunrise and Cherokee Sunrise best of those
above. They do not sound awkward or unwieldy.
Old July 7, 2009   #69
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Dice,
I think the Sunokee is to awkward, but I really like Big Dog Cherry BDC and DC. And I think your right about Cherokee sunrise, this rolls off the tongue easiest. Lets ee what else pops up in this thread. Thanks for your HO.
Old July 18, 2009   #70
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Still thinking about the names if anyone has anymore suggestions.

Germination on the F3 Small and Big browns, about ten each just throwing the first true leaves.
Old July 19, 2009   #71
frogsleap farm
Tomatovillian™

Default F2 Orange A progeny

Here's a photo of the fruit from each of the four CP x Sungold Orange A F2 progeny I grew this year. All four were large cherries; a dusty orange w/ brown/green highlights, a medium orange, a deep orange w/ faint red bicolor just below the calyx, and a medium red. Two just ripened today, so my taste test results are preliminary but the dusty orange was best and the bicolor was last - with a range of 7.5 to 8.5.

My second CP x Sungold F1 is just turning color, and it's another red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CP x sungold F2 orange a.jpg (96.2 KB, 22 views)
Old July 19, 2009   #72
dice
Tomatovillian™

[names]

Note that there is already a Golden Arrow tomato:
http://snakeroot.net/farm/Seeds.shtml

(Seemed like a natural choice.)
Old July 20, 2009   #73
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Vince. I saw your post on Sungold X Indian Stripe thread. I would like to participate growing your cross. My last tomato plant out date here in my micro-climate is August 23.

I will read through this whole thread. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Annapet

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2009   #74
travis
Tomatovillian™

At some point it might be interesting to cross some examples from the SGxCP with some examples of the ISxSG. Maybe some of the orange SGxCP with the ISxSG crimsons.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2009   #75
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Geauxld (play on the purple and gold of LSU...whom I hate, but thought it was a cute suggestion anyway).
Golden Cherub.
Purple Sun and Purple Sun Drops (for the little ones).
Good luck!
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote