Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 21, 2014   #1
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

Default Community garden #2 (IL: Zone 5A)

I know, I'm a little early this year. I am trying to forget all of the snow outside.

Well my first attempt at a community garden wasn't so great last year. Location wasn't as convenient as I thought.

So this year I am trying a community garden close to home. Unfortunately, there is no running water at this location. So I think I will try a gravity fed irrigation system. Anyone have any experience with this type of system?

Also, I was told that Midwest Organics, http://www.compostmatters.com/composting.asp donated all of the soil for the beds. This looks promising. I think they use a lot of Dairy manure. How should I approach this for the growing season. Should I avoid certain fertilizers as this may be high in nitrogen?

Each bed is 5' x 16', i think they are at least 6"+ from the ground. Not really sure, I haven't gone out to inspect the plots yet. I think they framed them with 2 x 6's?

I have attached a couple of PDF files of a rough scetch up of the plots and drip irrigation. Anyone have any suggestions, I am open. I am hoping to have a good year.

I have a few different approaches available but I am not sure which to take. LOL
I have a full gallon of Urban Farms Texas Tomato food. I also bought the Mittleider method micro nutrients. I think I may also have tomato tone. Which to use? hmmm
Attached Files
File Type: pdf garden.pdf (178.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: pdf Garden2.pdf (69.5 KB, 24 views)
Old January 22, 2014   #2
macbettz
Tomatovillian™

Just a comment on irrigation practicality in general for your situation. If you have to lug the water there I am not sure i would be messing around with setting up irrigation hoses and fittings and maintaining a tank set up. Your plots look pretty manageable (small) so getting watered and weeded would take no time at all with a cup and a 5 gal bucket. Can you drive up close to your plots? maybe just haul water to the storage barrel and scoop out water. Good luck whatever you decide.

Last edited by macbettz; January 22, 2014 at 04:42 PM.
macbettz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #3
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

They have a huge water storage tank with a hose. So I would just need to fill my storage tanks. Only reason I am going this direction, is so I don't spend a lot of time watering. I can just fill and leave. I have a young one that will be involved in sports. then dinner, then cleaning, etc. lol trying to keep it as simple as possible.
Old January 22, 2014   #4
cherokee
Tomatovillian™

With this small area if you can drive through the center with a riding mower I would consider using a 25 Gal. lawn care tow behind tank with a sprayer and pump I have one from Northern Tool. the pump is 12 volt will run off lawn mower battery and pumps on demand with a sprayer hose to reach each plant will save you a lot of labor / time in watering the pump pumps 2.2 GPM.
O'Neal
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2014   #5
Dork Fish
Tomatovillian™

I don't have a riding lawn mower.