Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 1, 2013   #31
kenny_j
Tomatovillian™

I never had the pleasure of knowing Gary, but have read his posts on occasion. Another kindred spirit leaves the world a loss. My sincerest condolences to his friends and family. Every year we lose several members, and I am deeply saddened each time; so many on this site go so far out of their way to help others and it restores my faith in humanity to be in their presence.

kj

Last edited by kenny_j; June 1, 2013 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spell
kenny_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2013   #32
afrance30
Tomatovillian™

Wow, I'm a little speechless right now. Gary was a great guy who will be missed greatly. I'm not sure I can come up with the words I need to right now, so I'll just leave it at what I already have here. He will be greatly missed.
afrance30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2013   #33
tomatoaddict

Gary was my tomato hero. I will miss him so. He will not be forgotten. I've been looking for the photo of him in his clown outfit.He loved doing the Derby parade as a clown with his grandson. RIP dear friend until we meet again.
Old June 2, 2013   #34
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Fellow Louisvillian and accidental disciple here, having been to two "Mater Days" he helped organize at Thieneman's nursery in Louisville. I just heard about his passing today -- truly a sad thing to hear, and I know many gardening enthusiasts will miss him dearly.

At first, I thought I hadn't met him. But then, I realized I may have talked to him at this year's Mater Days. I was the wild-eyed/poor-sighted customer asking where particular plants were because I have trouble reading the labels or figuring out how they organized the plants, and I believe he was one of the personnel there helping customers, including myself.

I'm hooked on heirlooms, and Gary had something to do with that.

So, I'm dedicating my backyard veggie garden for this year to Gary. All the tomatoes I'm growing are heirloom, and two are Kentucky varieties (Purple Dog Creek and Black Mountain).

RIP Gary Millwood.
Steve Magruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2013   #35
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

RIP Gary. Your kindness won't be forgotten.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2013   #36
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I was very sorry to hear this. He was always the voice of reason. RIP.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2013   #37
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I bet he's sharing seeds up there!!

He'll be missed!
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #38
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

I have also traded seeds with Gary.
Befriended with him on facebook, etc., though never met him in person.

So I subscribe to Dave's Garden newsletter and today another writer paid tribute to
a great tomato grower. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4338/

I wish I had a dollar for every reference to Gary in the Seed Savers Yearbook. -Randy
Old August 20, 2013   #39
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

wow I just found this thread after being gone for so long. Does anyone know what happened?
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20, 2013   #40
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newatthiskat View Post
wow I just found this thread after being gone for so long. Does anyone know what happened?
Do you mean how he passed? He had health issues, heart, etc. for quite some time. When I saw him in Oct. he did look so much older, and I suspected he was not really well. He gave me (and others like Maria of Blue Ribbon) unusual heirloom tomato seeds that he had received from others. I think he knew he would not be growing them. When my local old tomato buddy was sick, he gave me all of his seed varieties. I think old men know when their days are getting short.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2013   #41
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

R.I.P. So sorry to hear this
Old August 24, 2013   #42
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

such a void when losing one so special and kind to share with others. I wish when I had lived in KY I had been as interested in gardening, maybe I would have blessed to know him.

Thank you for letting us know.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5, 2013   #43
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Gary was a wonderful human being and will be sorely missed, though I never had the privilege of meeting him in person. RIP.

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #44
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Gary's son asked me to pass this along to people:

Celebration of Life - A Tribute to GARY MILLWOOD

A celebration to honor the life of Gary Millwood will be held Noon, Saturday October 5th, 2013 at Hounz Lane Park picnic pavilion.

Directions can be found here: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/parks/hounzlane/

In July of 2012, Dad wrote- "I don't like Funerals and never did and don't want one. I do hope that there can be a gathering for a Celebration of Life with some Good Eats and entertainment."

We'll have burgers and condiments and suggest those attending bring a side dish of your choice (heirloom tomatoes always welcome) and whatever you choose to drink. Following lunch, we welcome everyone to share stories.

Although I am posting here, it would be appreciated if some of you might post this in other forums he frequented, like Dave's Garden.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend to mkm.ky.abc@gmail.com so that we can plan for food. We hope to see you there.

Cordially,
The Millwood Family

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2013   #45
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Gary's son asked me to pass this along to people:

Celebration of Life - A Tribute to GARY MILLWOOD

A celebration to honor the life of Gary Millwood will be held Noon, Saturday October 5th, 2013 at Hounz Lane Park picnic pavilion.

Directions can be found here: http://www.louisvilleky.gov/MetroParks/parks/hounzlane/

In July of 2012, Dad wrote- "I don't like Funerals and never did and don't want one. I do hope that there can be a gathering for a Celebration of Life with some Good Eats and entertainment."

We'll have burgers and condiments and suggest those attending bring a side dish of your choice (heirloom tomatoes always welcome) and whatever you choose to drink. Following lunch, we welcome everyone to share stories.

Although I am posting here, it would be appreciated if some of you might post this in other forums he frequented, like Dave's Garden.

Please RSVP if you plan to attend to mkm.ky.abc@gmail.com so that we can plan for food. We hope to see you there.

Cordially,
The Millwood Family
Remy, I can and will post it at DG but there's not much action there at this time of year.

Carolyn