Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old December 27, 2012   #1
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Default Bought a Rion greenhouse!

I bought a 12 foot Rion greenhouse yesterday and it shipped today!!! I needed to tell people who would think it was neat. Friends and family don't get my excitement. hahahaha Lorri D
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Lorri

Pls post photos when you can.
Old December 27, 2012   #3
Hotwired
Tomatovillian™

You are going to love having a greenhouse. The Rions are really nice and really pricey. But with Rion you get what you pay for.
Hotwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorri D View Post
I bought a 12 foot Rion greenhouse yesterday and it shipped today!!! I needed to tell people who would think it was neat. Friends and family don't get my excitement. hahahaha Lorri D
WOW! Quite the Christmas present!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2012   #5
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my hubby did say I should be good for about 10 Christmases and birthdays. hahaha
I will post pictures when it is up. I can't wait!!
Old December 28, 2012   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on your new greenhouse.

How well do you think a Rion would stand up to high winds which are pretty much constant around here?

Also, the hail storms can be pretty bad too, usually causing some real damage to the roofs and repairs needing to be made.

I am curious to know this.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #7
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

They highly recommend you tie them down with screws or wire ties or other professional ways. The web sites for rion say they resist breakage from hail. I've seen you tube videos that show the panels being hit with golf balls, rocks, soccer balls and a hammer with no breakage. The roof is supposed to take 1100 lbs of snow and there is a full 7 year warranty. I think some businesses offer longer ones. They are completely modular and you can buy any additional parts individually. If under the warranty they'll send anything needed free of charge etc... I really like that you can add on to make them as long as you want. I also got the dual-double door option. Double doors at both ends, that way when growing in the summer and the temps get really high, I can open both sides up completely and all of the vents/windows. Lots of people comment that when they do this the temp on the inside is almost the same as the outside.

I probably sound like a commercial. hehehe, I've been researching about them for a long time. I didn't want to spend $$ on a greenhouse and figure out I got the wrong one. I feel good about what I chose and time will only tell. Lorri D

Last edited by Lorri D; December 28, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old December 28, 2012   #8
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Congrats! Can't wait to see photos
Old December 28, 2012   #9
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Lorri

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #10
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, I also am in a windy area at times and bought a Rion Greenhouse a couple of years ago. Unfortunately a couple of the panels lifted up in the winds and blew away after the first year Last year I reinforced all the roof panels by screwing them into the modular side pipes It's holding perfectly right now. We also get a lot of snow around here, and it has definitely held the weight (with or without screwing the panels down). In the summer, we've had some pretty brutal hailstorms, and I've had no breakage whatsoever. I just ran into trouble with high winds, but it was easy enough for fix and reinforce. I found it really easy to put together and continues to look great, even after a couple of years of weathering.

Unfortunately when my panels blew away in the winds, even though it was still under warranty, I could not get the customer service department to help me. Left numerous messages and sent a number of emails, without any response. I ended up buying a large corrugated plastic panel at home depot to cut the missing panels to size. Cost me 60 bucks to fix so it wasn't too bad.

Last edited by hmacdona; December 28, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote