Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old February 20, 2010   #1
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Default Need softwood BLACKBERRY cuttings

I would like to line one side of my property with Blackberry plants. I need as many as possible of softwood, pencil thick, six to eight inch cuttings of the large/sweet varieties such as Kiowa and others that do well in heat. Any and all would be greatly appreciated. Don't really want the older, tiny, bitter varieties..but there have been many great varieties that are large and sweet for many years. between the 401K having lost 40% and living mostly off of that, the budget has been shot for purchasing new plants after doing all of the work with tomatoes! Hopefully, blackberry growers will have plenty very soon. GREATLY appreciated! IF you don't have blackberries, the the others such as Raspberry would also work, but don't have time to wait on Blueberries as I understand that takes ten years to fruit from rootings.

Just curious, any extra strawberry plants out there?
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #2
pete
Tomatovillian™

Default blackberries

I have a large 8 year old stand of thornless blackberry plants. The fruit is large and tasty when I beat the birds to them.

Right now everything is frozen and I have taken many cuttings from them in the spring but I don't know if it is a good idea to cut now with freezing weather still around??

I can cut them and send you some now, or if you want them later thats fine too.

These plants orinally came from Guerneys, I do not know what variety they are-- Big, thornless, and black.

How many cuttings do you need? I plant them 4 feet apart.

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2010   #3
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
I have a large 8 year old stand of thornless blackberry plants. The fruit is large and tasty when I beat the birds to them.

Right now everything is frozen and I have taken many cuttings from them in the spring but I don't know if it is a good idea to cut now with freezing weather still around??

I can cut them and send you some now, or if you want them later thats fine too.

These plants orinally came from Guerneys, I do not know what variety they are-- Big, thornless, and black.

How many cuttings do you need? I plant them 4 feet apart.

Pete
I read that hardwood cuttings will work, but they should be buried in the ground to callous first...so that would mean ASAP ....or ...depending which is easiest for you, can wait until pencil thick cuttings are available as softwood cuttings, but wouldn't that reduce your own output of berries. Whatever works best for you is fine! As regards how many, whatever you can spare without impacting your own production. I'm going to run these down my property line. As always, thanks so much! Clarence Walker
Old February 20, 2010   #4
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Pete, in re-reading that it sounded presumptious. If you can send the cutting I will do all of the rest in terms of callousing and adding IBA hormones. This clear blue sky, 65 degrees and a wlak with plenty of fresh air has my mind reeling. TOMORROW I will have some tilling and adding of compost done to the garden!
Old February 20, 2010   #5
pete
Tomatovillian™

I can cut you some now and if you need more later I can send soft ones later. I have them growing into my yard 6' past their area. I cut them with the mower to fight them back. I'll see what is out there tomorrow.

Pete
pete is offline   Reply With Quote