Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 8, 2012   #16
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

Raybo,
The first picture looked like mine in 2010 also. I heard it was a particularly bad year for russet mites. Yamagami's had a demo garden w/tomato plants and they got hit with the russet mites which is how I knew what I had.

Did you use the Take Down proactively before seeing the mite damage? They sure look healthy this year.
Germinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #17
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I used Organicide with good results.... Very simily to the one Raybo recommended but it has edible fish oil instead of canola oil. I got it at Lowes. I also combined some with spinosad for even better results.

gary vs
Old January 8, 2012   #18
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Germinator,

Based on the date when I got hit with the Mites in 2010, I commenced spraying in 2011 two weeks earlier. While it may have been "luck" in 2011 that we didn't have an infestation - I figured preventative spraying would be the best insurance.

Gary,

That is a very good suggestion - and Organicide is probably more widely available throughout the country.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #19
tessa
Tomatovillian™

will mites succumb to spinosad? really?
tessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #20
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

http://www.dowagro.com/turf/prod/conserve.htm

spider mites are listed on the label
Old January 8, 2012   #21
Germinator
Tomatovillian™

I forgot about Organicide but this past August, we had dahlia club members from all over the U.S. and they recommended this product for dahlias. I just checked the label and it says effective for "spider mites". Are spider mites the same as russet mites which hit tomatoes? This is OMRI listed so I already like if it works. Russet mites are so small even my 30X probably can't identify them. Also, if they are like 2-spotted mites, hot and dry are their friend. I wonder if the Bug Blaster would work on the tomatoes if one didn't get too close to the plants? I know some dahlia growers use a mister-type tape on the ground to deter 2-spotted mites.
Germinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #22
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I killed a tom plant with Orgainide two years ago. It was likley operator error but I think I read on the label that "some" tomatoes varieties were very sensitive to the effects. It others have had good success I will try it again, have a full bottle. I hate mites! LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #23
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

The Organocide I buy here (San Diego) lists 'Sesame Oil 5%' as the active ingredient and "Edible Fish Oil 92%" as one of the carriers. I've used it a few times but it smells so bad (like rotten fish) I prefer to use other refined oils (without the fish). Ray's Take Down with Canola Oil would be a good alternative. The 'pyrethrins' break down fast and are not nearly as toxic to cats as the synthetic 'permethrin' found in many common pesticides. Sulfur Dust is very effective in cooler weather but be sure to read the label if you use any of the oils in rotation with them. The IGR that b54 uses looks promising and I'll probably try it out this year in rotation with other miticides for mite control on my commercial dahlias. All of the contact miticides require that you spray under the leaves, with complete coverage, and this can be a real challenge when the plants get large.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #24
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Steve for input re toxicity of Pyrethrins. Given that the Take Down states it is natural Pyrethrins I think it can probably be used without danger to my cat. And yes, sulpher does have several limits to its usefulness. I still dont know what IRG is, did I miss the answer? LInda
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #25
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Thanks Steve for input re toxicity of Pyrethrins. Given that the Take Down states it is natural Pyrethrins I think it can probably be used without danger to my cat. And yes, sulpher does have several limits to its usefulness. I still dont know what IRG is, did I miss the answer? LInda
Linda,

Here is the thread where B54 describes his use of IGR.
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19649

I share your concern for pesticides around cats.
Permethrin (the long-lasting synthetic), is one that is safe for dogs but deadly to cats.
Pyrethrin, when the label is followed, is [relatively] safe for both, I think it is still used in cat flea shampoos (but I might be wrong).
I can never remember the names and have to Google them whenever I read a pesticide label.

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #26
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

I just bought something called "All Seasons Horticultural Spray Oil" Saturday for my fungus gnat problem. (I was looking for Gnatrol, but no one in town had it.)

The label says that it also kills mites, thrips and spider mites, among other things. It is listed organic and the active ingredient is apparently petroleum oil. It is meant to be sprayed all over the plant and surrounding area and kills by smothering.

Honestly, I can't recommend it yet, since I have only sprayed once, but it might be something to think about it you are concerned about pets.

I'll report back when I know more.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #27
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

this is great great thread, now i have a couple of ways of fight the spider mite verm that normal end my tomato season.
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #28
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

What about Kelthane? I thought it was a miticide specific to spider mites. It is not organic, but if my choice was losing my mater crop, or spraying a proven miticide I think I would spray the plants.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #29
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

Where can you find Kelthane? I thought it was long gone
Old January 9, 2012   #30
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I found a bottle at an old small town feed store. The guy did not know what it was I guess. I bought it for $6.25. I have not used it, but like I said if I would if I had to.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote