Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old January 27, 2012   #1
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Default What is everyone growing?

I'm hoping that winter is coming to a close... I can't wait for spring! What is everyone growing in their gardens now?

I just started some seeds for Swiss Chard, Spinach, and Kale, because they can survive coooold temperatures. In a few weeks, after they're big enough to withstand the cold, I'll put them in my hoophouse.

Today my friend came over and we washed the hoophouse walls, and dug compost and manure into the soil. Now it'll be ready for planting! If only the weather would warm up... it's thirty five degrees now.

In a few weeks, I'll sow some lettuce seeds inside to put out in March.

so. What's growing????

Taryn
tgplp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Tomatoes.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #3
augiedog55
Tomatovillian™

what worth said
augiedog55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #4
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Haha, I already know that!!

Argh I can't wait to start my tomato seeds! It's so cold out... I'm so impatient!

Taryn
Old January 27, 2012   #5
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Salad greens and onion seeds just started,
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Taryn,
It's just now 40, down from 45 this afternoon. Is it that much colder inland?

A few weeks ago, I got overly optimistic that Sunday afternoon that it got above 50, and planted onions, leeks, spinach, chives, lettuce, beets, broccoli and cauliflower under my cloches. I haven't looked to see if anything is up yet, because I certainly don't expect it, but if it's warm tomorrow....

I know what you mean about the tomatoes. I have crocuses up, not in bloom, and I'm itching to plant. I think I'll spread some flower seeds in milk jugs to get my dirt fix for the week.

jane
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #7
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I've got a cold frame full of spinach, beets, lettuces, kohlrabi, chard, turnips, broccoli raab and carrots. I started it in late September, and it is an ongoing project. I have picked some stuff and replanted new things. I just planted some more lettuce seedlings in there yesterday to replace the bok choy that we ate a few weeks ago. The beets, turnips and carrots are not really growing, but if I can keep them alive until Spring, I'll bet they will continue growing. It's too cold for tomatoes... sigh.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #8
mr_gentleman
Tomatovillian™

I have transplants ready to go out of spinach, chard, kohlrabi, collard greens, lettuce and basil...and I have snow peas and broccoli planted...it has been in the 70s-80s these last 2 weeks and my one large broccoli plant I put in early is starting to form a crown already!!!
mr_gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #9
kath
Tomatovillian™

Spinach is still growing in outsides in cold frames; parsley, coriander, oregano in DH's cactus greenhouse; in the basement: onion seedlings, broccoli & cabbage sprouted today- waiting for lettuce and celery to sprout.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #10
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgplp View Post
What is everyone growing?
I'm growing tired, so I'm going to bed.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #11
Tania
Tomatovillian™

I started my lettuces at the end of December, they are now in the cold frame staying there over night unless it is forecasted below 30F.

I have 348 pepper seedlings growing under lights and maybe about 200+ tomato seedlings so far - but the main tomato seed start will happen in ~2 weeks.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2012   #12
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

We've got big (15 gal) pots of spinach that have been growing since late fall - we've been enjoying it straight through and it is thriving (I move it in the garage if a deep deep freeze is on tap). Also got two 10 gallon pots of rapidly growing lettuce and arugula.....and just seeded a few more pots with radishes and carrots.

As far as the action indoors, going to plant a flat of lettuce/greens varieties tomorrow. That is the official kick off of my season, really!
Old January 27, 2012   #13
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

Rutabagas, carrots, mustard, onions, tomatoes, eggplant, bell and cayenne peppers
and daffodils.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2012   #14
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by janezee View Post
Hi, Taryn,
It's just now 40, down from 45 this afternoon. Is it that much colder inland?

A few weeks ago, I got overly optimistic that Sunday afternoon that it got above 50, and planted onions, leeks, spinach, chives, lettuce, beets, broccoli and cauliflower under my cloches. I haven't looked to see if anything is up yet, because I certainly don't expect it, but if it's warm tomorrow....

I know what you mean about the tomatoes. I have crocuses up, not in bloom, and I'm itching to plant. I think I'll spread some flower seeds in milk jugs to get my dirt fix for the week.

jane
Hey there Jane, I have a thermometer outside that said thirty five, but it is in a shady spot so maybe it really is forty degrees. It was forty five in my hoophouse, which is great!

Maybe I'll talk about flowers. Every fall I plant tons of bulbs in our front yard- daffodils, tulips, crocuses, hyacinths, etc. The daffodils, crocuses, and hyacinths are coming up! yay the yard looks beautiful when the bulbs are in bloom.

Taryn
Old January 28, 2012   #15
tgplp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I'm growing tired, so I'm going to bed.
Dutch
Haha! Same.

Taryn