Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 19, 2017   #1
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Default Disease Identifying

Hi...I have yellowing on leaves on some of my plants...so I am posting photos hoping that somebody should be able to tell me what it is and what I should do about it....Thankyou Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3015.jpg (598.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3016.jpg (550.2 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3017.jpg (487.0 KB, 112 views)
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2017   #2
MissS
Tomatovillian™

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/...o-Diseases.pdf
Old February 19, 2017   #3
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti.Looking at the PDF..it would seem to me that early blight is the closest but I thought Early bLight had more distinctive spotting .....The photo of Late blight Page 21 is also of interest to me as I have a plant with leaves very similar and when one touches them they crumble/breakup......Thanks Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3018.JPG (373.6 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3019.JPG (401.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3020.JPG (371.6 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3021.JPG (340.6 KB, 106 views)
Old February 19, 2017   #4
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I think that you have Early Blight as well as Bacterial Spot.

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/IPM/engl...and-disorders/

I do hope that you do not have Late Blight. I guess that you will know in 3 days.
Old February 20, 2017   #5
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti.I presume I just keep on spraying with Thiram and Natures Way Jungus ....and breaking branches off...Ron
Old February 20, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, you know what my opinion is. I have never suggested that you use Thiram. I have recommended that you use the Bleach Spray as Bill has told you to. He specifically addressed your question of how much to use. I have also suggested that you do use your Natures Way Jungus as well as another fungicide of your choice and to alternate their use weekly. Why you have chosen the use of thiram on a food crop, I will never know. It is known as an animal repellent to protect the plants from deer and rabbits because it tastes so very bad.
Old February 20, 2017   #7
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti..You told me when I asked about Thiram that you had never used it ....Why didnt you tell me then instead of my wasting my money .and then there is the label ...i posted a photograph of that also without any feedback re animals...Yes you told me to alternate between Natures way and another fungicide....Nothing about not using Thiram which you knew I already had and so that is what I alternated with based on the information i received ......I am jumping from so many products that I am told to buy I do not know where I am...
RE Bleach ...Yes I knew that would come up...Nobody has the decency to help me work out the proper mix in Ml ..Yes I have asked....when the Bleach I have has is 4.95% ...there is a USA measurement ....a UK measurement and a metric measurement ?? Nobody seems to recognise this...and due to my experience with it its crucial to get a formula that is correct and not hit and miss..

Unfortunately it seems to me that I have outstayed my welcome here ..Apart from yourself hardly anybody is replying to my posts...You are well aware that I cannot procure from Garden Centres the items available in America.....

Its just a struggle and a complete disappointment to me ...

Ron
Old February 20, 2017   #8
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Early Blight to me. I have seen Late Blight on my plants in some years and that is not it.

I am an organic gardener and do not use all of the sprays that people recommend here. I do not use bleach but if you have a formula, it is a simple matter to convert ounces to ml using a conversion chart that you can find online. Just Google "ounces to ml conversion" and it will open a formula and you can plug in the values to get your answer.

Trim off any branches affected with blight to keep it from spreading it's spores. Discard those branches in the trash, away from your plants.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #9
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Thanks....I will post some more pictures as well as it shows up on the stems as well as the leaves ..so far it has occupied my day with phone calls etc trying to find a Chlorothinal product like Daconil ....I had a bad experience with bleach and it would be last on my list...

So you would discard any branches/leaves with any yellow appearing on them ???

Regards Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3027.jpg (510.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3029.jpg (503.0 KB, 81 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; February 20, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old February 20, 2017   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Ron, since you did so much research on the Daconil, I assumed that you did on the Thiram as well. No I have never used it. I did not even bother to look at the product until today. At that point in time you were ticked off at me and you would not do much that I suggested. You were going to use whatever you wanted and do things your own way.

That poor plant has a crack down it's stem. Even if it recovers there is too much damage to the stem for it to do much growing. I would throw it far away from your plants and disinfect the table. Or, Do you have a University near you that has an Agricultural department or a county Agricultural department for the farmers? If you do the I would send them a sample of that plant and ask them what it is that you have going on there. Even you farmers supply store might be of better help than the garden centers. Whatever you do, get rid of that plant...
Old February 20, 2017   #11
MissS
Tomatovillian™

After looking around and doing some research, I think that the damage in post #9 is from Gray Mold.
Old February 20, 2017   #12
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by murihikukid View Post
Patti..You told me when I asked about Thiram that you had never used it ....Why didnt you tell me then instead of my wasting my money .and then there is the label ...i posted a photograph of that also without any feedback re animals...Yes you told me to alternate between Natures way and another fungicide....Nothing about not using Thiram which you knew I already had and so that is what I alternated with based on the information i received ......I am jumping from so many products that I am told to buy I do not know where I am...
RE Bleach ...Yes I knew that would come up...Nobody has the decency to help me work out the proper mix in Ml ..Yes I have asked....when the Bleach I have has is 4.95% ...there is a USA measurement ....a UK measurement and a metric measurement ?? Nobody seems to recognise this...and due to my experience with it its crucial to get a formula that is correct and not hit and miss..

Unfortunately it seems to me that I have outstayed my welcome here ..Apart from yourself hardly anybody is replying to my posts...You are well aware that I cannot procure from Garden Centres the items available in America.....

Its just a struggle and a complete disappointment to me ...

Ron
I am going to speak frankly and bluntly, not to be rude, but I am a blunt person by nature and I have a problem with you being rude to MissS, who has been hand holding you and advising you well, but you do not follow instructions and then take her to task?!

Listen to yourself :

"Patti..You told me when I asked about Thiram that you had never used it ....Why didnt you tell me then instead of my wasting my money "

"Nobody has the decency to help me work out the proper mix in Ml ..Yes I have asked"

You have the same diseases you have had before. The same solution to your current problems are the same as you were advised to use as before and did not follow the advice then.

You've made the choice to use other products and to over crowd your space, to keep sick plants, and to maintain an area for them way too humid, to over water your plants.

You've been told the formula for bleach spray at least 3 times, plus there are conversion charts all over the internet, of which you have also been informed of.

Several people have suggested you contact your college or government agricultural dept for help as products in your country are different than here in the USA.

MissS has not only given you a lot of good advice and sent you seeds, and you repay her kindness with being rude to her. Others have made suggestions as well, you do not seem to follow the advice, so it seems you should accept responsibility for your own actions.

Carolyn, if I am in trouble for plain speaking, let me know.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20, 2017   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
I am going to speak frankly and bluntly, not to be rude, but I am a blunt person by nature and I have a problem with you being rude to MissS, who has been hand holding you and advising you well, but you do not follow instructions and then take her to task?!

Listen to yourself :

"Patti..You told me when I asked about Thiram that you had never used it ....Why didnt you tell me then instead of my wasting my money "

"Nobody has the decency to help me work out the proper mix in Ml ..Yes I have asked"

You have the same diseases you have had before. The same solution to your current problems are the same as you were advised to use as before and did not follow the advice then.

You've made the choice to use other products and to over crowd your space, to keep sick plants, and to maintain an area for them way too humid, to over water your plants.

You've been told the formula for bleach spray at least 3 times, plus there are conversion charts all over the internet, of which you have also been informed of.

Several people have suggested you contact your college or government agricultural dept for help as products in your country are different than here in the USA.

MissS has not only given you a lot of good advice and sent you seeds, and you repay her kindness with being rude to her. Others have made suggestions as well, you do not seem to follow the advice, so it seems you should accept responsibility for your own actions.

Carolyn, if I am in trouble for plain speaking, let me know.
No imp you are not in trouble since I was going to speak in defense of Patti late this afternoon, but accidentally fell asleep, I kid you not. I'm supposed to get my legs up a few times a day since my feet swell,and most of the time I just lay there and think of all I need to do but haven't done and sometimes I do go to sleep,perchance to dream, hopefully good dreams.

Carolyn
Old February 20, 2017   #14
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Thank you both Imp and Carolyn for coming to my defense. I have not been feeling appreciated much lately. Ron thanks everyone else for their help but has none at all for me and it hurts...
Old February 23, 2017   #15
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi....Common decency means I have to refrain from making comments apart from if you want to have a go at me make sure you have all the facts right ..Do you think that I have not appreciated all the help that I have received from Patti??....I certainly was not aware that I had not thanked her enough and for this I apologise ......As for imp...No apology for you ...you rave on without facts and little knowledge on what I am actually doing or trying to achieve here in NZ and Carolyn ...well you are moderator and supposed to be impartial so please go back to
http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...=40246&page=43
and look at posts 635 and 636 which clearly contradicts Patti's post that I so strongly objected to ...Now I do not know why she wrote what she did unless she has become so besotted with bleach that it has affected her...
Have I not got the right to question the use of this product ...many others do??? I had a bad experience with it but now that it is summertime I was prepared to try it again on a few expendable plants ...but only as a last resort ...Thankfully now I have found a product Unizeb which has the active ingredient Mancozeb in it a recognised treatment for early blight ..unfortunately other products like 720g/litre chlorothalonil (Daconil etc ) one requires a handling license and I simply do not know what this entails....I would still add at this point of time I am not 100% sure that the yellow leaves are infected with early blight ...I have studied photos of early blight and I see real diferences....
Where there is sign of yellowing leaves the stems are also infected with white round blotches.. ...Hopefully a gentleman who posts a lot of videos on Youtube can give me his opinion cause he has a video online that shows yellowing leaves like mine as part of the natural growing process although possibly bought about by other factors...
Thankyou?? Regards Ron