Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 19, 2014   #1
Mbrown9510
Tomatovillian™

Default Japanese Beetles

Does anyone have any tips for controlling Japanese Beetles in the vegetable garden? Those evil scarabs attack my eggplant, squash and hops , as well as my roses. Since we try to be as organic as possible I have tried neem oil but all that does is harm the bees, I don't want to do that.

Any input would be appreciated because I'm very close to waging chemical warfare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mbrown9510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

We had a massive invasion two summers ago and they were all over my pole beans then my roses and crepe mertyls and I didn't do anything about it until it was too late. At the very beginning of the season, put out traps and lures and keep changing the bags. I did better with them last year because I got a jump on it. Apparently, they like the grubs that live in peoples lawns and if you treat the grubs, you'll have less of a problem with the Japanese beetles, or something like that anyway. Maybe someone else can chime in with some advice on that part. Good luck!
Old February 19, 2014   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried this yet as we haven't had a problem - until last year when a few Japanese beetles showed up on my grape vines.

Over on the Hops Forum a while back, they were saying that the annual "4 O'Clocks, Marvel of Peru" attracts and poisons them! Wouldn't that be amazing? A quick Google seems to bear out the story so I'm going to get some seeds and try them out. Be careful where you grow them though because they have quite the reputation for self-seeding......

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #4
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

I get them bad on pole bean plants- we dust the plants with DE (food grade diatomaceous earth). Its a good neutral solution. I only use it when I see the bugs, not as a preventitive. Rain washes it away. We don't have any problems with DE. Use a mask to apply, so it doesn't go in your mouth and nose. I usually only have to use it once or twice a season.
Old February 19, 2014   #5
Mbrown9510
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Labradors2. I will have to search for the 4 O'Clocks and Marvel of Peru seeds. I have a 90' fence line that I could turn into a scarab killing zone.

I will have my husband check into diatomaceous earth. He handles all the chemicals - selection and application. Oh joys of being married to a chemical engineer.

Margaret

Old February 19, 2014   #6
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The nice thing about DE is that it kills by mechanical action. It abrades their exoskeletons and the bugs dehydrate.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #7
Mbrown9510
Tomatovillian™

Cool

Old February 19, 2014   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Japanese Beetles are the adult of the "grubs" in your lawn.
Milky Spore is the "organic" solution to long term control of Japanese Beetles, as it helps control the grubs.
Roses and Crepe Myrtles are some of their favorite foods, although they
also like beans and apple trees.
Sevin does wonders in controlling these critters. You can also hand pick or capture in a jar.
If you do go the "bag trap" route, buy them for your neighbors. That way you won't end up attracting more to your yard.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #9
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelleybean View Post
We had a massive invasion two summers ago and they were all over my pole beans then my roses and crepe mertyls and I didn't do anything about it until it was too late. At the very beginning of the season, put out traps and lures and keep changing the bags. I did better with them last year because I got a jump on it. Apparently, they like the grubs that live in peoples lawns and if you treat the grubs, you'll have less of a problem with the Japanese beetles, or something like that anyway. Maybe someone else can chime in with some advice on that part. Good luck!
Just a quick clarification - I believe I am correct in saying that they ARE the grubs (or at least some of them) in your lawn. That's their larval stage. I have had several years of severe infestation - they LOVE soybeans and other beans, several of DW's flowers, the silk on my sweet corn ears, raspberries, grapes, asparagus, even the apple trees. I will definitely look into both DE and four o'clocks. I'll try anything at this point. I spent big bucks for stuff (spinosad, or maybe it was milky spore, I think) to treat our extensive "lawn" several years ago and saw zero results. I hate those buggers.

Last edited by FarmerShawn; February 19, 2014 at 01:14 PM. Reason: clarify
FarmerShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #10
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

do not use the bag traps!!!!!! yes they catch hundreds of beetles but they attract thousands more.

i too use diatomaceous earth and milky spore.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #11
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

for anyone who grows pole beans- the japanese beetles will not bother the heirloom variety "rattlesnake" for some reason or another. i have had rows of them planted literally touching other varieties and the rattlesnake beans are fine when the leaves of the others look like lace from the bettles. delicious bean as well.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #12
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Another quite successful method is the use of beneficial nematodes.
Bought and sprayed on the area in the early spring, kills all sorts of ground insect larvae. Actually seeks them out, enters and lays eggs, then the larvae supply food for the emerging new brood of nematodes.
Well worth the time, money and effort.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #13
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Okay, they ARE the grubs. I knew there was some connection. Thank you!

I only use Sevin as a last resort. Will look into the DE. Thanks for the idea.
Old February 19, 2014   #14
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

You can always work on attracting birds. Many will eat Japanese Beetles.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2014   #15
kath
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for posting this, Margaret- it's given me some new ideas to try this year! I've also found that certain pole bean varieties seem to attract JBs while others don't and also have had good luck with Rattlesnake. I don't have roses but the beetles LOVE the Rose of Sharon buds (that are way too close to the garden) and also turn apple leaves into lace. Milky spore didn't seem to work for me either and I never used the bags because of reading that they just attract more. We've got loads of birds and bats, too, but not enough to keep up with the JBs, I guess.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote