Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 18, 2012   #16
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The packet of seed I received from PierceNaturalFarm says Dester's Amish Tomatoes. No .... and no beefsteak.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2012   #17
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Got one plant in the garden from a late planting... If it ever sets
fruit, and ripens, I'll give feedback and save plenty of seed. I only
got a few seed from one of these at Tomatopalooza[tm] 10.

Not the best photo, but it did have a very nice taste.

By the way, Craig brought these, so the name is from him....

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #18
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

I did send an e-mail to Larry yesterday and I'm hoping I'll hear back about
the correct name. The seed packets have hand written names so I'm not surprized the name could vary a bit, especially with a new variety.

The Pierce's also sell garlic and they have another website listed where they
offer tools (haven't checked it out yet) and livestock, for anyone interested.
Info is on an "about us" page.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #19
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

TM100 Pierce's Pride sound like the A Cherokee Purple. Is this the proof nneded to show Native American also grow this Tomato.
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2012   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
TM100 Pierce's Pride sound like the A Cherokee Purple. Is this the proof nneded to show Native American also grow this Tomato.
Joyce, there are many varieties that look like the one you refer to and I wouldn't even refer to it as Cherokee Purple b/c of the coloration and shape, so no, it's not proof that Cherokee Purple was grown by Native Americans.

There's a thread here somewhere that I posted where Keith M referred to several dark colored varieties in terms of their gf alleles and it was found and noted from that scientific study that Cherokee Purple was not 100 years old, etc.

There's also a thread here where it was discussed where CP and Indian Stripe might have come from.

And in the next issue of the Baker Creek heritage magazine there will be an article about this. Craig L ( nctomatoman) and myself were asked by Andy W. to write what we knew, Craig for Cp and me for IS, so we did. There were other contributors as well commenting on the use of CP and IS in breeding projects and the like.
Old August 19, 2012   #21
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Joyce, there are many varieties that look like the one you refer to and I wouldn't even refer to it as Cherokee Purple b/c of the coloration and shape, so no, it's not proof that Cherokee Purple was grown by Native Americans.

There's a thread here somewhere that I posted where Keith M referred to several dark colored varieties in terms of their gf alleles and it was found and noted from that scientific study that Cherokee Purple was not 100 years old, etc.

There's also a thread here where it was discussed where CP and Indian Stripe might have come from.

And in the next issue of the Baker Creek heritage magazine there will be an article about this. Craig L ( nctomatoman) and myself were asked by Andy W. to write what we knew, Craig for Cp and me for IS, so we did. There were other contributors as well commenting on the use of CP and IS in breeding projects and the like.
That's amazing about the Cherokee Purple. For many Varieties I try to do a historical research. Believe it or not: I have to use legal history for documentation of Heirlooms. With U. S. Variety, sometime I can find the description of the fruit or vegetable deep in the discovery of cases related to agricultural farming.

I remember on the "garden web site forum" many many year ago, someone want to know "What were your darkness black tomato. I was the only one that said Cherokee Purple. Than I ordered SSE, "and yes" it wasn't that dark but it still had a smokey taste. Do you have the history of "TM100 Pierce's Pride" and Do you know what "TM" means?

The TM100 Pierce's Pride Looks like it my first Black Tomato. It also has a deep smokey flavor.

I will grow them side by side.

That's why I order from many company to make sure I have the correct Heirloom.

I hope that is an American Heirloom, because it seems that all Black tomatoes from U S have a non-sweet taste. To Me U. S. Black Tomatoes have a deep tomatoes taste.

Last edited by MrsJustice; August 19, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old August 20, 2012   #22
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I got the six-tomato package deal just to get Dester. Well, I just had my first taste, and my goodness, am I ever glad I took that deal! I have over 100 varieties this year, most of which are new to me (blame Tville!) and I have been tasting new tomatoes daily. Most I like, some I like a lot, but Dester! Wow! That one I LOVE! I only hope the rest of the fruit are as wonderful tasting as that ugly, cat faced, misshapen piece of heaven. By the way, most of the rest of the fruit are looking beautiful - I selected the one I did just because it was not a looker, and I wanted to get rid of it. And, it was ripe.
Old August 20, 2012   #23
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I got the six-tomato package deal just to get Dester. Well, I just had my first taste, and my goodness, am I ever glad I took that deal! I have over 100 varieties this year, most of which are new to me (blame Tville!) and I have been tasting new tomatoes daily. Most I like, some I like a lot, but Dester! Wow! That one I LOVE! I only hope the rest of the fruit are as wonderful tasting as that ugly, cat faced, misshapen piece of heaven. By the way, most of the rest of the fruit are looking beautiful - I selected the one I did just because it was not a looker, and I wanted to get rid of it. And, it was ripe.
Thanks for shearing that information to us. Did you get your seeds from Pierce Natural Farm? If so: What is the name of his Black Tomato on his site named :TM100 Pierce's Pride? Is it an Amish Black Tomato?
Old August 20, 2012   #24
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
Thanks for shearing that information to us. Did you get your seeds from Pierce Natural Farm? If so: What is the name of his Black Tomato on his site named :TM100 Pierce's Pride? Is it an Amish Black Tomato?
Joyce, the name of the variety is Pierce's Pride. His name is Larry Pierce. I suppose the TM means trademark in some way, or he introduced the variety but I'd have to go back and look at the other listings to confirm that.

There's no indication that Pierce's Pride is Amish in origin or he would have said so just as he mentioned the Amish origin of Dester.

Since Larry named it for himself perhaps it was the result of a natural cross in his garden and he saved the F2 seed and dehybridized it and whatever selection he ended up with he called Pierce's Pride.

Or he could have deliberately made a cross to form an F1 hybrid and then followed through as above.

As I said above there are many varieties that have fruits that color and what distinguishes them one from the other is leaf form, size, color and shape of the fruits, plant habit and then, where available, the history of the variety as to origin.

Hope that helps.
Old August 21, 2012   #25
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I got my Dester from Seed Saver's Exchange, and included in the package besides Dester was Lemon Drop, Gold Medal, Velvet Red, Moonglow, and Wapsipincon Peach. I've had all but Moonglow and Gold Medal so far, and I like them all well enough, but they are mild-tasting compared to Dester.
Old August 21, 2012   #26
koshki
Tomatovillian™

Well I certainly have been tempted! I received my order of Dester Amish seeds and a head of German garlic from Pierce Natural Farms a couple of weeks ago.

Can anyone tell me how big this plant can get?
Old August 21, 2012   #27
greyghost
Tomatovillian™

My Dester plant is the same size as any of the Brandywines. In good conditions, 6 to 7' in height and 3' in width. Not a small plant.
greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21, 2012   #28
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Joyce, the name of the variety is Pierce's Pride. His name is Larry Pierce. I suppose the TM means trademark in some way, or he introduced the variety but I'd have to go back and look at the other listings to confirm that.

There's no indication that Pierce's Pride is Amish in origin or he would have said so just as he mentioned the Amish origin of Dester.

Since Larry named it for himself perhaps it was the result of a natural cross in his garden and he saved the F2 seed and dehybridized it and whatever selection he ended up with he called Pierce's Pride.

Or he could have deliberately made a cross to form an F1 hybrid and then followed through as above.

As I said above there are many varieties that have fruits that color and what distinguishes them one from the other is leaf form, size, color and shape of the fruits, plant habit and then, where available, the history of the variety as to origin.

Hope that helps.
Thank You. It help's alot.
Old August 26, 2012   #29
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

As mentioned, I obtained my seeds directly from Larry. I just tasted my first ripe Dester tomato a couple of days ago, from an unassuming, average looking fruit:

I also REALLY liked the flavor and wondered what it was...

Perhaps it was my imagination, but it seemed to me that the flesh itself - not just the juicy good stuff in the seed cavities - was pleasantly, but not overwhelmingly sweet. I've not really noticed this trait before, but I'm starting to keep my senses open to this possibility with other varieties. I'm typically too rushed to notice such flavor nuances.
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2013   #30
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

Just tried my first taste of dester. Amazing! One of the best tomatoes Ive had.

This is basically a good strain of brandywine, right?
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote