Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 16, 2010   #1
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Default Big Sungold Select

I have Big Sungold Select and Sungella both growing in Containers and I wonder if I got them confused when I planted them. Is Big Sungold Select as big as Sungella (Golf Ball Size) or is it closer to Black Cherry in size (about 1" diameter)? I have some golf ball sized tomatoes turning yellow gold and wonder about them. My tag says Big Sungold Select. Can anyone offer their comments? Thanks.

MikeInCypress
Old May 16, 2010   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
I have Big Sungold Select and Sungella both growing in Containers and I wonder if I got them confused when I planted them. Is Big Sungold Select as big as Sungella (Golf Ball Size) or is it closer to Black Cherry in size (about 1" diameter)? I have some golf ball sized tomatoes turning yellow gold and wonder about them. My tag says Big Sungold Select. Can anyone offer their comments? Thanks.

MikeInCypress
Mike, I'm pretty sure you got those Big Sungold Select seeds from me in my recent free seed offer here.

I've never grown Sungella so have no comparison to make, but I can tell you that BSS is larger than Sungold F1, mine were not as large as golf balls and when they ripen BSS is orange from the get go, unlike Singold F1 which gets there more slowly.

I just Googled Sungella and looked at the picture and description at T and M who introduced it and they and almost all the other plcces now selling seed say that it's golf ball sized.

But that's not what I saw when growing it last summer. Smaller than Sungold F1 but not as big as a golf ball.
Old May 16, 2010   #3
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Carolyn for your response. I did get Big Sungold Select in your recent free seed offer. The tomatoes in question must be Sungella. When I pick them (probably on Tuesday) I 'll know because Sungella shares more of the tart taste of Tigerella than the sweet taste of Sungold. At least it did when I grew it in 2007.

MikeInCypress
Old May 16, 2010   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thank you Carolyn for your response. I did get Big Sungold Select in your recent free seed offer. The tomatoes in question must be Sungella. When I pick them (probably on Tuesday) I 'll know because Sungella shares more of the tart taste of Tigerella than the sweet taste of Sungold. At least it did when I grew it in 2007.

MikeInCypress
Remind me to never grow Sungella then b'c I really don't like the taste of Tigerella at all and for me it splits with the morning dew on it. BSS is not tart.
Old May 17, 2010   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Mike, check out the link below. Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...Sungold+Select
Old May 17, 2010   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Here's another photo with some others to compare in size to.

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2010   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Lee, from your picture I see that BSS is a bit larger than Black Cherry and maybe the size of Purple Haze. But the Purple Haze you show is an F2 and I don't know what the F1 is like but I thought it was larger than what you show for the F2.

No question that even with one variety sizes will vary depending on so many different factors. In a rainy season here several years ago I had Dr. Carolyn Pinks that were the size of Pink Ping Pong and I think that was the same summer that I had a Red Barn plant that gave fruits a bit over 3#, which is not what I'd get in a normal year.

So I guess maybe the taste differences mentioned above might help if Sungella is really tart b'c for me, at least, BSS was not tart at all.
Old May 17, 2010   #8
GunnarSK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Thank you Carolyn for your response. I did get Big Sungold Select in your recent free seed offer. The tomatoes in question must be Sungella. When I pick them (probably on Tuesday) I 'll know because Sungella shares more of the tart taste of Tigerella than the sweet taste of Sungold. At least it did when I grew it in 2007. MikeInCypress
I'm growing Sungella this year (sowed some and also have sprouts) but never tried Sungold F1 or any of the derivatives including Big Sungold Select. I guess that's because Sungella is OP and can be grown (out) by anyone and therefore is available from one of the commercial vendors here in Poland. Of course I'll report when the tomatoes ripen, but without the comparison to BSS.
GunnarSK is offline   Reply With Quote