Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 17, 2009   #76
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

No loss from this past weekend's cold front. So happy. Will try to put all cages on and mulch them. I will use leaves from the ash tree.
newgardener_tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #77
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Default Same results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
No loss from this past weekend's cold front. So happy. Will try to put all cages on and mulch them. I will use leaves from the ash tree.

Same case here. No plants "died" but several appear to be suffering from wind-burn. We'll see how they do over the next week or two.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #78
dice
Tomatovillian™

[mulching with ash leaves]

This may not be your best choice of mulch materials. Some
kinds of ash trees exude chemicals that are toxic to some other
kinds of plants. I do not know that anything in the leaves of
your particular ash tree will bother tomatoes in particular
(or other vegetables), but there is at least a chance of it:

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...thic#post91987

If you have some alternative for mulch, then you won't have to
find out whether it is safe to use the ash leaves for that. (You
could still try the ash leaves on one or two plants and see how
they do compared to the plants mulched with something that
you know to be safe, like straw, plastic, shredded paper, etc.)
Old March 17, 2009   #79
fourtgn
Tomatovillian™

So far my tomatoes are doing well. I still have 9 more to get in the ground tomorrow, then I'm done!

Fourtgn
fourtgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2009   #80
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Dice,
Thanks for the information. I already put the leaves in the bed. I will look closely. Somewhere I also read woodchips are not mulch neither. So what should I use? Texas native cedar mulch from HD?
Today I do feel frustration to grow tomatoes here. I went to backyard again and found most of my plants had some kind of yellow, sick leaves that I suspect they were from the coldness. But on Sunday and Monday they were all looking good. Some green bean's leaves are also showing the yellowish color. I also have a couple tray of tomato plants from seeds (cherokee purple) that just refuse to grow. It has one set of true leaves around 1-2 inches tall. The trays next to it with the same soil, same pot are happilly growing.
Sigh...
Old March 18, 2009   #81
robin303
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about you guys but almost 95% of my maters are getting sunburned bad. I might have to stick with poison ivy and crab grass for awhile.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #82
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Dice,
Thanks for the information. I already put the leaves in the bed. I will look closely. Somewhere I also read woodchips are not mulch neither. So what should I use? Texas native cedar mulch from HD?
I wouldn't sweat it as you already have everything in and on the ground. I don't think it will be a problem. I actually went to the neighborhood park and raked leaves to amend to the soil. If I'm gonna get away with it, so can you.

Quote:
Today I do feel frustration to grow tomatoes here. I went to backyard again and found most of my plants had some kind of yellow, sick leaves that I suspect they were from the coldness. But on Sunday and Monday they were all looking good. Some green bean's leaves are also showing the yellowish color. I also have a couple tray of tomato plants from seeds (cherokee purple) that just refuse to grow. It has one set of true leaves around 1-2 inches tall. The trays next to it with the same soil, same pot are happilly growing.
Sigh...
I'm pretty sure that's wind-burn. Nearly all of my plants have the same thing. It closely resembles the damage my plants took the last time it was cold and windy. Again, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Odds are, they will recover. Nearly all of mine have. While the leaves that are yellow will stay that way, the new leaves won't have the problem. And if they don't make it, so what?!!? You lose a plant or two. I know its harsh, but it's the attitude I've had to take. I have 14 free, planned slots still open in my yard with 24 plants that still need to go into the ground. If I lose any, it's makes room for better, stronger plants that will do better anyway! My only fear is that I will lose all of a single variety.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #83
dice
Tomatovillian™

[mulch]
Wood chips are fine, as long as they don't include ash or walnut
(ash is risky, walnut is evil).
Old March 18, 2009   #84
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin303 View Post
I don't know about you guys but almost 95% of my maters are getting sunburned bad. I might have to stick with poison ivy and crab grass for awhile.
We went from very cool, wet weather, to bright sun. If plants were not hardened off then I could certainly understand some leaf burn.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2009   #85
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx
Today I do feel frustration to grow tomatoes here. I went to backyard again and found most of my plants had some kind of yellow, sick leaves that I suspect they were from the coldness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcherB View Post
I'm pretty sure that's wind-burn. Nearly all of my plants have the same thing. It closely resembles the damage my plants took the last time it was cold and windy.
I would say a general yellowing of plants could be cold temps and they'll recover quickly.

Thinning of leaves or papery spots on leaves are sunburn and/or windburn and it will take some time for the plant to produce new healthy leaves which are strong enough to handle the elements.

I would not panic in either situation.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26, 2009   #86
newgardener_tx
Tomatovillian™

Egg sized hail around 6pm today. First time in my life to see such big hail. Guess what? I checked my tomato plants first and they are OK, then my cars, they are OK, then roof? wait till tomorrow.... as long as the tomatoes are OK! We are at the edge of the storm. Friends who lives two blocks away got car dent everywhere. I am lucky this time.
Old March 26, 2009   #87
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Suze: Papery spots? Do you mean white spots sort of the color of paper? I've never seen this before and don't see anything similar on the A&M leaf diagnosing tool. That's what I'm seeing on some plants and the wind in DFW has been brutal...3-4 days of 20-40 mph winds. (Now back down to the mid 30's Friday night...out comes the plastic covering, again!)
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote