Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 4, 2012   #61
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamintStick View Post
I think my male peacock died at the end of summer last year. It might have been about the same time we started seeing the snakes but I not sure.

We sell poultry at a auction once a month. I have had my eye out for a young male since my hen is not even of laying age yet. All of the males have been old that I have seen. Mothers Day is my next auction. Maybe they will have one.

I bet your peacock was having lots of dinners on those baby rattlers.

If I could find someone with eggs would you want them?

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012   #62
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockporter View Post
I bet your peacock was having lots of dinners on those baby rattlers.

If I could find someone with eggs would you want them?
That's very nice. If I did not live in high altitude I would sure want them. I found shipped eggs do not work for me here. On my own eggs or local eggs, I can hatch anything.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #63
dice
Tomatovillian™

Peacocks within driving range of Phelan, California (with some other
unrelated stuff mixed in that for some reason matched the search
term "peacock"):
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/s...inAsk=&maxAsk=
(If you do not know exactly where they are, you can email the reply-to
address to find out.)
Old May 6, 2012   #64
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

When I was young, we kept a weekend sailboat out in the boonies of NC, on a creek off of the Pamlico River.

The people down the road from the dock had peacocks and would often let us collect a few feathers to take home.

I remember the call they made at night, very eerie, like a baby crying. It would wake me up sometimes. It would certainly take a while to get used to hearing that every night.

They were beautiful, though. (And sometimes very funny with their little peacock personalities)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #65
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link but I don't think any of those it what I am looking for. Eggs maybe if I was sure they where fresh and collect properly but that's more than I paid for my pea chicks.

I have had a total of 4 peacocks since I have lived here. My first one was in a pen right outside my bedroom. He was a male but he hardly ever made any noise. He was old when I got him. He had the big long train that you only see in old peacocks. He was flighty and scarred of his own shadow. I think that is cause from his breeding. Java Green that is not cold hardy and stay wild. I sold him because he was a idiot.

My next two I bought at the auction two years ago. They were just pea chicks at the time. I was the only bidder and got them for $12. They were raised inside and bonded to me. They where also a pair but most likely bother and sister. I also had my neighbor tell me my peacock was in his yard. I looked and this old peacock was trying to get into my yard from his yard. Was not my peacock but I brought him home. He must have heard our peacocks and was attacked to them. We don't have many neighbors so I don't know where he came from. I found him dead right below where he slept at night just shortly after we got him. There was not a mark on him. Our male was on our roof. I went to water everyone. He flew down a I think he tumbled and broke his neck. He was only two. He did not have a long train yet. That takes about 3-4 years. But he was so friendly. I think that is because of how I raised him. I would love to find pea chicks again.

My pea hen is not what I consider noisy. But when she has made noise, if made my bird friendly border collie grab hold of her one time. I don't know what she was thinking.

My guineas are related to peacocks. Now these guys are noisy. I think the noise alone would chase snakes away. I have read they can breed pea guinea hybrids, but it is rare.
Old May 6, 2012   #66
dice
Tomatovillian™

$25 and $40 an egg do seem a bit high-priced, but then they are not
available on every street corner, either. I have no idea what the
typical going rate is. Maybe you could get a "hatch or no pay" guarantee,
or trade some other kind of eggs or birds for them.

I am not suprised that something that kills rattlesnakes sells for more
than a chicken, though.

edit:

Do the eggs have some distinctive appearance that would
allow you to be sure it was a peacock egg? Could you get some
fly-by-night sharp operator at a market selling goose eggs
or whatever and calling them peacock eggs?

Last edited by dice; May 7, 2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: is it really a peacock; sp
dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2012   #67
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

That does seem pretty high but then I think most things on Craigs list is a lot higher than what I can get for poultry. I don't sell on Craigs list because I don't want all the creepy people at my house spreading disease and looking to see what they can steal. That's why I only sell at auction to strangers. At auction the same bird can sell cheap one month and high the next. I have been getting top dollar for my guineas. I think they are more known for killing snakes than peacocks. Last month I got $50 a piece for some extra males I had. That was the highest I have seen at this auction but I also have colors I have never seen sold at the auction. Personally I would never pay $50.

A lot of people buy peacock eggs (on ebay) and other large eggs for decorating. They don't care if they are hatchable or even fertile. I sell a lot of heritage turkeys. Many times the baby turkeys sell for less than the eggs I see for sale on ebay. I don't get it. Maybe I should sell eggs if it was not such a pain going to the post office. I don't know anyone that would guarantee hatching eggs of any kind since there is so much that can cause a bad hatch. My luck I would hatch10 females before I would get one male.
Old June 13, 2012   #68
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Can you name this spider?

In the garden today - Sweet Jesus! And look at that egg sac.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spider.jpg (491.1 KB, 68 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #69
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Don't see a lot of them with red on their backs but that is without a doubt a black widow.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...-widow-spider/
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #70
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
In the garden today - Sweet Jesus! And look at that egg sac.
Why, oh why, did I look at that?!? Shudder!!!!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #71
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

"Loss of habitat and declining numbers landed two venomous snake species on N.C.’s endangered species list in 2001. Two additional venomous and four nonvenomous species are classified as N.C. “species of Special Concern” for the same reasons. These designations make it illegal to collect the snakes without a permit. Killing them is allowed only when they pose a clear and imminent threat to health and safety. All plants and animals are protected within the boundaries of national and state parks, as well as in some other nature preserves and sanctuaries."

The two endangered are the Eastern Diamondback and the Coral snake.

Venomous snakes kill people and were it up to me I'd destroy 10,000 snakes to save the life of one child. Natural selection "being as some seem inclined that way" dictates that we remove threats or become endangered ourselves.

hypocrisy is seeing the Orkin man at the home of the head of PETA ROFLOL
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #72
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

Oh my if I had to put up with venomous snakes around, I think that might be the one thing that would cause me to move away.

I really can't stand them, no matter what good they might be providing...

And that spider, I hate to say it, but I might be one to destroy the nest, don't know for sure if I would, but that is too scary for me.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #73
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

I'd kill that spider and it's nest in a heartbeat, no way would could I let that thing live and know that I could find it's babies somewhere else in the garden.

True story,
We moved to South Texas in 2002 and soon after our newly purchased dead in the water 74 corvette came on a trailer. This car had been sitting in a field in east county San Diego where we moved from. I called the pest control because my husband told me there were black widows under the car and it was in the garage already. Yikes!

So I called pest control and they told me, "no way, there aren't any black widows out here" and I said there are now, lol. Come spray down my garage and the undercarriage of this car please. They came promptly and couldn't beleive what they were seeing. Next time I will have a vehicle taken to the local car wash and cleaned real good before transporting it anywhere.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #74
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

rockporter, that is a nightmare, oh my. We seen to have been moving a lot the last few years, so should any of our vehicles end up in storage, I'm having it detailed before transporation....

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”
-Theodore Roosevelt
meadowyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #75
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

I just move the black widows, I get LONG stick and Judy move them outside of the property, you know you have encountered a black widows web because it is very tough, and sticks to stuff very well.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote